Jump to content
BANGKOK 21 May 2019 16:08
snoop1130

Expat volunteers in Chiang Mai denied visas in work permit standoff

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, 1337markus said:

Seems a lot of hatred towards the volunteers here in this thread. There are always 2 sides to the story. CNX Immigration is a total failure since the new " boss" took over wanting his tea money increased from agents. This week I was caught out by the Monday holiday immigration was shut, but every other shop in the Promenada complex was open. returned Tuesday afternoon. We have Saturday, Sunday, Monday as no open days and many TM 30 people reporting. The number system, bits of paper they hand out had died they were too lazy to put recycled numbers in the spot you collect numbers from, many people walking around confused. I counted 6 IMO sitting in desks doing nothing while 2 women tried to handle the back log that grew every second.  No one that worked there helped them. people kept interrupting them with asking for a number, or what number were they up to and then there are the Thai people " dont you know who I am" jumping the queue.  For a 1 minute process I waited 3.5 hours, welcome to the 19th century.  Can we borrow some workers with a brain from the DM warehouse?

Why would That people be trying to jump the queue at immigration? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tryasimight said:

Why would That people be trying to jump the queue at immigration? 

landlords doing TM30.  Seen quite a few paying fines.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think instead of Thailand being called LOS (Land Of Smiles) It should be called Land of Scammers. Unreal. Looking at what the government is doing is the right thing. Charity work is another way of getting a visa for a year. But in reality is just a scam and they prob do 1 or 2 days charity work in the year This little scam will soon make it harder for us genuine people to get a visa. Because you can bet your bottom dollar the government will soon change the rules again to make  it harder to get a visa. Instead of putting the suckers who use this scam in jail or facing deportation go after the guys and companies who put them up to it. Maybe a few in Bangkok Thailand still is one of the easiest countries in the world to get a visa and one of the cheapest. Try getting a tourist visa for your Thai wife to visit Uk or Australia and see how you go?

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ukrules said:

This new 'head of the labour office' is clearly not following the rules or doing their job properly.

 

Report them to the main department in Bangkok and get him / her bought into line or fired.

<deleted> them......ingratitude .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tfc said:

If it wasn't for the "spirit" of "volunteering" expert divers from around the world wouldn't have essentially dropped what they were doing and come over to Chiang Rai to help rescue the kids trapped in the cave. 

Great point  Thai officials can be  idiotic at best. Thank God I don't live there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

I think instead of Thailand being called LOS (Land Of Smiles) It should be called Land of Scammers. Unreal. Looking at what the government is doing is the right thing. Charity work is another way of getting a visa for a year. But in reality is just a scam and they prob do 1 or 2 days charity work in the year This little scam will soon make it harder for us genuine people to get a visa. Because you can bet your bottom dollar the government will soon change the rules again to make  it harder to get a visa. Instead of putting the suckers who use this scam in jail or facing deportation go after the guys and companies who put them up to it. Maybe a few in Bangkok Thailand still is one of the easiest countries in the world to get a visa and one of the cheapest. Try getting a tourist visa for your Thai wife to visit Uk or Australia and see how you go?

same with the ED and Teaching visas..the scammers make it much tougher for the ligitimates,,,and somewhere along the line, some corrupt officials get their dirty fingers in it, and it just mushrooms.  Even true for the retirement extensions...all the "gamers" makes it much harder for those following the rules to the letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, moontang said:

was that for simply a new departure card/same address report?  If so, that really bites the big one.  They let those kind of play through last time, and I was out in a few minutes, but a dozen were obviously suffering.

Same address report.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Why would That people be trying to jump the queue at immigration? 

they are paid by farang to report for them. Maybe should go and observe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can see their point, there have been loads of white foreign bogus volunteers in CM getting VISAs.

You pay an agent, they set you up with a charity, you get a 1 year VISA for turning up for 1 or 2 days.

I've known at least two guys in the past who did this (both under 50s).

There will always be a few rotton apples. By refusing them all it's nothing short of it being  a predictably tedious everyday  Thai juvanile tizzy fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not enough information to make an informed decision. The fact that the person reporting this won't say who these 'volunteers' are or who the organizations are gives credence to a foreigner trying to break the rules and complaining. It says they are long term volunteers, not short time volunteers. For that to happen they have to be given support from some foreign organization. There are many missionary groups that do not follow the Thai rules for registering as a non-profit religious group and try to disguise themselves as 'volunteer' organizations. Sounds like the labor dept. head is following the rules. People complaining because he won't bend the rules for them. How can you morally be a volunteer when you are without ethics???

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

STOP VOLUNTEERING IN THAILAND. Go somewhere where your FREE help is appreciated!  So obvious to me! Wonder if the foreign cave rescuers also needed to stand in line to first secure a work permit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

There will always be a few rotton apples. By refusing them all it's nothing short of it being  a predictably tedious everyday  Thai juvanile tizzy fit. 

A few thousand rotten apples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ratchaburi said:

Thaivisa understands the labor department in Chiang Mai has not been issuing work permits for foreign volunteers, with immigration then saying "sorry, we can't issue you visas as you don't have a work permit", said the source.

 

Above don't sound right to me, as you need a to have Non B Visa before you can apply for a Work Permit.?

If they are applying for an extension of stay based on being a volunteer, it would be connected to their work permit. So, the work permit has to be applied for and granted  first.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I can see their point, there have been loads of white foreign bogus volunteers in CM getting VISAs.

You pay an agent, they set you up with a charity, you get a 1 year VISA for turning up for 1 or 2 days.

I've known at least two guys in the past who did this (both under 50s).

so these guys pay a good amount of money to get a 1 year visa, They are not working in thailand and they contribute to the thai economy while costing thailand nothing. Why would you or any government have a problem with this, You are boosting your economy without having to give anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

You couldn't make this stuff up...sheesh

 

They are trying to HELP, they are asking for NOTHING IN RETURN

 

Unbelieveable

 

17 hours ago, ukrules said:

This new 'head of the labour office' is clearly not following the rules or doing their job properly.

 

Report them to the main department in Bangkok and get him / her bought into line or fired.

 

Obviously, the labour office boss knows more about these "volunteers" then we do. Maybe, Major General "Joke" should come and do some investigating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...