A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

webfact

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't have passionate feelings about this issue, pro or con.

But my feeling is that banning them is actually NOT religious discrimination because Islam does NOT command such full coverings be worn. The full coverings are CULTURAL manifestations of some Islamic nations, not Islam itself.

In the USA, native Americans are allowed to use traditional psychedelics as part of their religious traditions, substances that are otherwise illegal to the general public. I think they should be legal for all, but I definitely support at least the current rules for the native Americans. 

Suppose it was part of the native American's cultural tradition for the males to walk around with their peckers poking out of their pants. 

Should that be legal? I think not.

The full head coverings are like that, I think. 

I think it's OK for societies to draw reasonably fair lines somewhere. I definitely think the more limited coverings should be allowed everywhere, but the full coverings, I think it is OK to ban. 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

No, the pertinent question is do I accept that a blanket ban on veils is acceptable. 

The answer is no. 

No, the pertinent question is do I accept that a ban on veils that look like blankets is acceptable.

The answer is yes.

5 hours ago, stevenl said:

The same as when western Europe struggled with religious wars: certain acts of religious expression were not accepted, but all were western European.

I'm not sure I agree with the purpose of the protest, but bluespunk is very right that they have every right to protest, and that judging citizenship based on religion, ethnicity and/or colour is simply wrong.

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

But................saying it and then forcing it onto a people who have their own culture seems a little bit like what happened in Australia to the native people.

4 minutes ago, car720 said:

I may not agree with what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

But................saying it and then forcing it onto a people who have their own culture seems a little bit like what happened in Australia to the native people.

In Australia, America, South America, and Africa, it was called colonisation, not relevant to what's happening in Denmark.

If all the Arab countries in the ME were to announce that they were going to adopt Western liberalism, thus allowing all religions to set up shop there, with cathedrals being built alongside mosques and temples, then I would fully support the wish of Arabs in the West to wear their weird garb.

Until then, I would be inclined to say "go fk yourselves"...

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

In Australia, America, South America, and Africa, it was called colonisation, not relevant to what's happening in Denmark.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Totally relevant to what is happening in Denmark.

It is still colonization just a more perverse style.

Just now, car720 said:

Totally relevant to what is happening in Denmark.

It is still colonization just a more perverse style.

Rubbish! Every country has the right to run it however they see fit. You live there, you abide by their rules. Try bucking the rules in a muslim country and see how you go.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Rubbish! Every country has the right to run it however they see fit. You live there, you abide by their rules. Try bucking the rules in a muslim country and see how you go.

yeah! you would cop more than just veiled threats

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Precisely what I said.  Go back and read it again.

These people are trying to inflict their beliefs on the indigenous people of Denmark.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You're right. 

But liberal democracies should be better than authoritarian theocracies.

So it's best to make rules based on reason, rather than religious dogma.

Focusing on the reasonable part of it. Some of the outfits I've been wearing lately would no doubt be noticed by the FASHION POLICE in some localities. 

6 minutes ago, giddyup said:

You live there, you abide by their rules. Try bucking the rules in a muslim country and see how you go.

True...…….lived and worked in Libya and had to be VERY mindful of what I was doing.

Nearly got killed by a couple of thugs because I was whistling. Didn't know that Nasser (their friend) had just died......scary time.

And no drinking in their country but when they got on the plane to go to London it was full on Johnnie Walker all the way. Hypocrites. 

10 minutes ago, car720 said:

These people are trying to inflict their beliefs on the indigenous people of Denmark.

Your posts are a little confusing, I got the impression you were supporting the muslims right to wear the veil in Denmark.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

Most of the type who want to wear this kind of head covering are either from or born to parents who come from countries where if you are unlucky enough to have to go or are stupid enough to go to will jail people for having a christian bible in their luggage or on their person.

It's all always 'one sided' and that is their side which is not negotiable.

Apart from maybe Saudi Arabia, name one country that would jail you for having a bible in your luggage.

16 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You're right. 

But liberal democracies should be better than authoritarian theocracies.

So it's best to make rules based on reason, rather than religious dogma.

Focusing on the reasonable part of it. Some of the outfits I've been wearing lately would no doubt be noticed by the FASHION POLICE in some localities. 

Perhaps the steps to outlaw the Hijab were to prevent religious dogma getting a hold. If Denmark or any liberal country keep making concessions to doctrines that are totally at odds with their own culture, then they risk losing their own culture.

Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban.

When you go into someone elses country, you go by their laws and customs, you do not

expect them to change their laws to suit you.

If you are not prepared to go by that countries laws and respect their culture, then you

just stay at home, or if you were born in that country and don't want to go by their laws

and customs, then you find a country that goes by the life that you want to lead.

44 minutes ago, car720 said:

I notice that these buggers don't come down to Thailand or China to try this sort of stuff.  Think about it.

Quite a few of fully covered people in southern Thailand. Phuket, Surat Thani and further south.

26 minutes ago, car720 said:

No they're not, they want to be able to believe in their own way.

47 minutes ago, giddyup said:

5555555!

The, politely put, "colonization" was seen as "invasion" by the victims. Where, exactly, is the lack of relevance? In your view immigration/refugeeism = invasion... where is the dissonance?

Just now, stevenl said:

Quite a few of fully covered people in southern Thailand. Phuket, Surat Thani and further south.

No they're not, they want to be able to believe in their own way.

Really?  I've rarely (twice?) seen a moslem wearing a burqa on Phuket.

Yes, many moslems - but they wear a head-covering at most.

European nations opened themselves to muslim refugees for the best of progressive, liberal values.

They are discovering that Islam is not progressive or liberal.

I have had many muslim friends. They know exactly what I mean - in fact they educated me in this.

The majority of western liberals are yet to be educated.

I am a lifelong liberal. Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

13 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Never mind how one looks on it - wearing a full, face-covering burqa is contradictory to the secular 'norms' of western countries.

Hopefully the rest of Europe follows the Danes...... 

If they don't like it they're welcome to go back to sand land

15 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

European nations opened themselves to muslim refugees for the best of progressive, liberal values.

They are discovering that Islam is not progressive or liberal.

I have had many muslim friends. They know exactly what I mean - in fact they educated me in this.

The majority of western liberals are yet to be educated.

I am a lifelong liberal. Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

Bullfeathers.

Radical. Extremist. Fundamental.

These types of Islam (or any religion/sect) is the enemy of Liberalism.

Do these '70s Iranians look like scary, extremist Muslims?BR11-1.jpg

Archived