A crime or a right? Some Danish Muslims defy face veil ban

webfact

30 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

Apart from maybe Saudi Arabia, name one country that would jail you for having a bible in your luggage.

More like kill you or kidnap and ask for money if they are radicals. Saudi allows the bible, but doesn't allow it out in public. On one front I applaud Saudi Arabia for keeping their country Islam. They should keep all of their Muslims there too! I think Thailand should kick out all of the non Buddhist organizations here. No Mosques, no churches. 

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mikebike said:

Bullfeathers.

Radical. Extremist. Fundamental.

These types of Islam (or any religion/sect) is the enemy of Liberalism.

Do these '70s Iranians look like scary, extremist Muslims?BR11-1.jpg

Quite.

It is a small minority that are insisting on retaining their own 'cultural' ?  'norms'....  The vast majority aren't at all militant in their beliefs.

9 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Dick you really need to travel more.

Your slap happy liberalism is wishful thinking.

I am a lifelong liberal. Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

Yes. You r the only one on this forum who has travelled and lived in other countries.

???????????

U r a lifelong Liberal who has a problem with non-fundimental Islam for no stated reason other than ur Muslim buddy(s) told ya so and u have lived in the middle east, as many of us have...

6 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

When was that Mike? And what was the job you were doing?

BROMANCE!!

R u really interested in me or are you just stringing me along? OR do you not believe me?

Geological surveying and reporting for govt '85-'88.

58 minutes ago, mikebike said:

5555555!

The, politely put, "colonization" was seen as "invasion" by the victims. Where, exactly, is the lack of relevance? In your view immigration/refugeeism = invasion... where is the dissonance?

Are you suggesting that muslim refugees are the same as an invasion in colonial days? If you do, I agree with you. However a lot of the muslim protesters in Denmark are homegrown. A bit like aboriginals demanding that white Australians go back to living in bark lean-to's and eating witchety grubs.

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Maybe you should see it away from religion?I as a man am not allowed to wear a skimask when i enter a shop,gasstation or other public place.

Could it have something to do with security?

Freedom of religion is fine with me but if it interferes with safety issues they should oblige with the law of the land they choose to live in and take it off.

There are policies in place when it comes to security in most countries. 

This is not about security. 

It’s about a govt taking away a person’s right to choose whether to wear a veil and citizens of the country protesting that action. 

Thanks for your reply Mike. The following practices are common throughout the muslim world. The first 3 are very common in the UK too, and also occur in other parts of Europe.

1. Cutting the clitorises off very young girls and babies.

2. Murdering daughters who do not want to marry someone from Asia they have never met and who can't speak English (or any other European language).

3. Hospitalising sons for the same reasons as 2.

4. Murdering non-muslims.

5. Murdering apostates.

6. Murdering people for "heresy".

7. Murdering gays.

I am a lifelong liberal who has worked in many muslim countries in recent years and have had many muslim friends.

Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Really?  I've rarely (twice?) seen a moslem wearing a burqa on Phuket.

Yes, many moslems - but they wear a head-covering at most.

I used to live in Ao Makham, many of them there. Also Rawai, see them daily, walking and on the bike. And whenever I'm up North see them there as well.

So yes, all over the place.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Are you suggesting that muslim refugees are the same as an invasion in colonial days? If you do, I agree with you. However a lot of the muslim protesters in Denmark are homegrown. A bit like aboriginals demanding that white Australians go back to living in bark lean-to's.

Obviously you would agree. Your point of view is that you are being invaded. Duh.

Is your crappy analogy trying to say that the protesters in Denmark are trying to get the natives to wear veils? Really? 

While ur at it can you post a link to Aboriginals trying to make all Australian live in bark huts?

Or are y'all just addicted to hyperbole?

4 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Thanks for your reply Mike. The following practices are common throughout the muslim world. The first 3 are very common in the UK too, and also occur in other parts of Europe.

2. Murdering daughters who do not want to marry someone from Asia they have never met and who can't speak English (or any other European language).

5. Murdering apostates.

7. Murdering gays.

I am a lifelong liberal who has worked in many muslim countries in recent years and have had many muslim friends.

Please give me ur def of "very common" and some hard numbers. Otherwise just more subjective bullfeathers.

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

In the interests of security, no one should be allowed to have their face covered up in public. People will stand up for the Muslim womens "right" to cover their faces until one of their own family is affected by some kind of criminal act caused because some person/persons could not be recognised because their face was covered.

Please provide statistics showing the number of crimes committed by women wearing veils. 

Specifically in Denmark in this case. 

No need to limit your statistics on the basis of faith. 

3 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

5. Murdering apostates.

7. Murdering gays.

What a load of nonsense. And your claims 'I have had many muslin friends' and in all posts 'I am a lifelong liberal' only make it worse.

2 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

No, the pertinent question is do I accept that a ban on veils that look like blankets is acceptable.

The answer is yes.

Please show a veil that looks like a blanket under the terms of the following dictionary definition. 

“1. a large piece of woolen or similar material used as a bed covering or other covering for warmth.”

7 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Does repeating your mantra help you feel better?

It sure isn't helping to convince anyone of your point of view...

2 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Please give me ur def of "very common" and some hard numbers. Otherwise just more subjective bullfeathers.

Mike, I'm not aware that anyone is keeping count, it would be a full-time job. But if you want to broaden your mind you could check the online newspapers for the last few years. At least one new case a month in the UK I would guess. 

Sweet reminiscences of 1980-85 are no longer relevant to the debate.

The northern American experience of muslim immigration is very different from the UK experience, for a variety of reasons.

@ Stevenl "What a load of nonsense. And your claims 'I have had many muslin friends' and in all posts 'I am a lifelong liberal' only make it worse."

All you have to do is read the mainstream press in the UK to know this is true; liberal and conservative press are reporting the same cases.

As I said before, there is a huge difference between muslim immigration in north America and the UK.I guess this is part of your ignorance too.

Yes I am a lifelong liberal, and it's precisely because I am a liberal that I find the actions of this primitive superstition so disgusting. 

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

Please provide statistics showing the number of crimes committed by women wearing veils. 

You are asking the impossible, There is that much crime in the UK that only the biggest crimes make the news. for minor crimes, there are many that go unsolved. I'll put something to you, you show me statistics that prove that there has been no crime committed by a Muslim woman in a burkha, perhaps working on the instructions of a Muslim man, or a Muslim man dressed as a woman in a burkha.

Any sensible person knows that crimes will be committed by people wearing burkhas  for obvious reasons, not necessary Muslims. 

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

You are asking the impossible, There is that much crime in the UK that only the biggest crimes make the news. for minor crimes, there are many that go unsolved. I'll put something to you, you show me statistics that prove that there has been no crime committed by a Muslim woman in a burkha, perhaps working on the instructions of a Muslim man, or a Muslim man dressed as a woman in a burkha.

Any sensible person knows that crimes will be committed by people wearing burkhas  for obvious reasons, not necessary Muslims. 

I’m asking you to back up your defence of this ban. 

If you can’t then you shouldn’t make such claims. 

22 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Mike, I'm not aware that anyone is keeping count, it would be a full-time job. But if you want to broaden your mind you could check the online newspapers for the last few years. At least one new case a month in the UK I would guess. 

Sweet reminiscences of 1980-85 are no longer relevant to the debate.

The northern American experience of muslim immigration is very different from the UK experience, for a variety of reasons.

Why do you think I am basing my opinions on "sweet reminiscences"?

Yes, our subjective experiences are different (how could they not be). Objective facts support the viewpoint that fundamentalism and radicalism are a problem. Majority/moderates are not.

So when, for how long, and what jobs have y'all been up to in the ME? 

24 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I'll tell you what Bluespunk, try googling crimes committed by people in burkhas, then get back to me.

Archived