Italian Man Found Dead In Jomtien Hotel...........

libya 115

SOURCE: Pattaya People: February 3rd 2007

Italian Discovered Dead in a Luxurious Hotel

An Italian man’s death was reported to the Pattaya Police from a luxurious hotel located in Jomtien on 2nd February at 8.20 in the morning.

The police found Mr. Alois Aichner, aged 71, an Italian national, dead on the bathroom floor. Water was still running from the tap at the sink. There were no signs of the man being attacked – only vomit on his face. It is believed that he died about 4-5 hours before discovery.

The hotel manager stated that Mr. Aichner is a regular customer at the hotel and resides here every year when he comes on holiday. Mr. Aichner never brought anyone into the hotel with him.

At 6.30 am on that day, a minibus came to pick up the Italian to take him to the airport to fly home. They waited for a long time until the manager realised that something must be wrong. He didn’t answer his phone and the door was locked from inside, so the manager requested the maid to use the spare keys and checked to find the man dead.

The police think that the man might have had an accident or slipped in the bathroom or died because of some illness. However, the body was sent for autopsy and the Italian Embassy has been contacted for further proceedings.

A serious question that I'm sure has been asked many times before.

Why is it necessary for the police to immediately speculate on the cause of death in every case? In every other country, we hear comments such as "the police are keeping all avenues of enquiry open as they collect the evidence." or "police are treating the death as suspicious". But the BIB immediately jump to a conclusion in every case.

If they turn out to be wrong, at best, they have misinformed the public and possibly caused unnecessary anguish and at worst they prejudice the case leading to the enquiry going in the wrong direction and no conviction or a wrongful conviction.

So why do it?

A serious question that I'm sure has been asked many times before.

Why is it necessary for the police to immediately speculate on the cause of death in every case? In every other country, we hear comments such as "the police are keeping all avenues of enquiry open as they collect the evidence." or "police are treating the death as suspicious". But the BIB immediately jump to a conclusion in every case.

If they turn out to be wrong, at best, they have misinformed the public and possibly caused unnecessary anguish and at worst they prejudice the case leading to the enquiry going in the wrong direction and no conviction or a wrongful conviction.

So why do it?

Simple:

Reporter; What do think killed him Sgt Somchai?

Sgt Somchai: It looks like he might have slipped in the shower , but all the vomit on his face could mean he had an illness, we will know more after the autopsy. Don't quote me on that.

Reporter; Thank you

This question smells of the 'seniors always know best' culture which furthermore states it is impolite to correct them even when they are patently wrong.

I recall a ridiculous incident in which I was involved. I had a legal document from the UK that I was informed had to be witnessed by a notary. It turned out anyone could witness it but I digress.

I went in to a lawyer's office in Bangkok. Virtually no English was spoken. I explained in Thai that I had a property transfer document from the UK that required witnessing. We were all sat in the main office and I was addressing the lawyer, his two subordinates and the receptionist. It wasn't rocket science as I knew the words for witness and property transfer. The explanation, involving a few questions took around 5 minutes. After I had finished, the lawyer turned to his staff and said in Thai," It's like this, the farang said....." repeating verbatim what I had said in Thai with everyone listening.

But the explanation had to come from a senior. And seemingly was not valid until it did.

Thus using this mindset as the senior party which the police will be in almost all dealings, the BIB become accustomed to being expected to give definitive opinions which will rarely be contested.

In fact, the reaction of the police when shown to be wrong is now one of indignance and denial.

I'd better stop at this point before I begin to resemble the avatar of the exploding poster. Can't remember whose it is.

Edited by Briggsy

Why wasn't the hotel name mentioned? Often news reports will name a condo building and unit number, and another thread here they named Howard's guest house which someone googled and posted their web site. Is there a reason why a luxury hotel has to remain anonymous?

(What luxury hotels ARE there in Jomtien, anyway?)

This question smells of the 'seniors always know best' culture which furthermore states it is impolite to correct them even when they are patently wrong.

I recall a ridiculous incident in which I was involved. I had a legal document from the UK that I was informed had to be witnessed by a notary. It turned out anyone could witness it but I digress.

I went in to a lawyer's office in Bangkok. Virtually no English was spoken. I explained in Thai that I had a property transfer document from the UK that required witnessing. We were all sat in the main office and I was addressing the lawyer, his two subordinates and the receptionist. It wasn't rocket science as I knew the words for witness and property transfer. The explanation, involving a few questions took around 5 minutes. After I had finished, the lawyer turned to his staff and said in Thai," It's like this, the farang said....." repeating verbatim what I had said in Thai with everyone listening.

But the explanation had to come from a senior. And seemingly was not valid until it did.

Thus using this mindset as the senior party which the police will be in almost all dealings, the BIB become accustomed to being expected to give definitive opinions which will rarely be contested.

In fact, the reaction of the police when shown to be wrong is now one of indignance and denial.

I'd better stop at this point before I begin to resemble the avatar of the exploding poster. Can't remember whose it is.

Well Briggsy, as a generalisation -fair comment, however there are a few Thai police who are very well educated, have excellent English and study offshore in western police academies.

It is a bit unfair to lump them all in with Mr Plod on the beat who doesn't really have any incentive to further his training or push the boundaries and just goes with the flow.

THe situation is really no different in many western countries not that many years ago, it is amazing how short the collective memories were. My local cops were as thick as two short planks, it was only in later times did a degree become necessary and the standards improve.

In days past it was (and still is) the norm, in some sectors of Thai society, to send the kids off for an English, European or whatever education, from the age of 9. I have met Thais who like nothing more than a bacon and egg breakfast and have better English than me, not to mention a string of western degrees, it is still a very stratified society something that is not always apparent at first instance.

I take your point , Doggie Style, but I think we are on somewhat different frequencies.

I was specifically referring to the police immediately pronouncing a: the cause of death, b: whether foul play was involved and c: the motive for the murder, if answer to b: is yes. All this is done after only a cursory perusal of the evidence.

However, with better education, they might stop doing it. I assume this is the point you are making.

Why wasn't the hotel name mentioned? Often news reports will name a condo building and unit number, and another thread here they named Howard's guest house which someone googled and posted their web site. Is there a reason why a luxury hotel has to remain anonymous?

(What luxury hotels ARE there in Jomtien, anyway?)

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hilton ?

I take your point , Doggie Style, but I think we are on somewhat different frequencies.

I was specifically referring to the police immediately pronouncing a: the cause of death, b: whether foul play was involved and c: the motive for the murder, if answer to b: is yes. All this is done after only a cursory perusal of the evidence.

However, with better education, they might stop doing it. I assume this is the point you are making.

(apologies for the delay)

Yes agree on both points! however I do wonder if it is the police or the reporters or a bit of both who lead to the Scooby Do crime summaries?

Also from your second post, just reinforcing it is such a mixed bag, IMHO the 'seniors always know best' culture is not given as much weight (and I believe becoming even less so) in some sectors as others.

cheers