Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, Essecola said:

After I have been forced to leave here, I will tell as many people as possible not to come to Thailand and not to spend money here.

Yeh there are a lot of disgruntled people like you who will spread this anti foreigner stance far and wide. 

It will be very hard for Thailand to put the genie back in the bottle. 

Very rarely any positive news comes out about Thailand in recent times, all negative, and as they say sh1t sticks.

32 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Yeh there are a lot of disgruntled people like you who will spread this anti foreigner stance far and wide. 

It will be very hard for Thailand to put the genie back in the bottle. 

Very rarely any positive news comes out about Thailand in recent times, all negative, and as they say sh1t sticks.

I will say it to as many people as I can anywhere I go after ive been forced to leave. I didnt ever overstay and I didnt do anything wrong. Should never have wasted so many years of my young life and money in the country of these awful liars.

This article does not account for the new breed that is flocking to Thailand in droves. We are called digital nomads and earn mid six-figures USD ($280k to $500k avg ) and can live anywhere in the world. I am age 33 myself. Thailand is attractive for the obvious reasons but also because it’s lenient on tax laws. If you live in Thailand but work for companies outside of Thailand, you do not have to pay Thai taxes. And, if you’re an American, you do not have to pay federal taxes on your first $105k and if you establish a company in Singapore you can “legally” avoid US taxes all together.

This new breed of digital nomads are not only salary-rich but equity rich as well. I myself have earned equity / stock at Google, Facebook and Netflix before relocating to Phuket. I currently work for Netflix in Silicon Valley and they are completely fine with me working remotely from Thailand. My salary is identical to what is was when I lived in San Francisco, California where a dumpy 1 bedroom apartment will cost you $5000 usd/ month. I can rent a giant palace in Phuket for that rate.

So you can see the obvious attraction. The digital nomad crew is expanding rapidly in Thailand and it is expected that by 2030, 75% of all American jobs will be remote / freelance ( meaning Americans can live wherever they want in the world ). It has been factually proven that you get more out of your workers when you allow them to work from home and on their own hours. Their productivity actually increases. So anyways, this is the way things are going. Expect more and more digital nomads to Thailand.

Thailand may be losing some epxats but it’s gaining an entirely new type of expat that is wielding lots of cash. These expats are big spenders, naturally they will drive the cost of goods up in Thailand further. But they are also bringing loads of jobs and technical infrastructure to Thailand. I myself employ over 100 Thai software engineers and I pay them 100,000 baht / month, well over the 20,000 baht that Thai companies pay. So you can see there is a huge advantage to the Thai economy to keep the digital nomad crew happy. 

As more and more Americans relocate to Thailand on US salary, I imagine Thailand will become even more expensive. But it will still be far cheaper than the US, hence why people will continue to flock here. I’ve lived in Thailand for 4 years now and have saved hundreds of thousands of dollars due to no taxes and a much cheaper cost of living. Why on Earth would I leave this place that is basically paradise?
Living in a country for 4 years and paying no taxes?
That bothers me.

Sent from my F3116 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

7 hours ago, Essecola said:

After I have been forced to leave here, I will tell as many people as possible not to come to Thailand and not to spend money here.

Boy, you must be a pretty important person if you think your negative comments about this place will put a dent in visitors.....

6 hours ago, Essecola said:

I will say it to as many people as I can anywhere I go after ive been forced to leave. I didnt ever overstay and I didnt do anything wrong. Should never have wasted so many years of my young life and money in the country of these awful liars.

Make sure you tell them the real reasons you left.

The only people I know who have been " forced to leave" are mostly criminals and those with lack of money...

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Boy, you must be a pretty important person if you think your negative comments about this place will put a dent in visitors.....

I am in Australia now and down at my local pub, Thailand has lost its shine. Just the ordinary joe now says it’s expensive and just a short time play ground for P4P. Totally different message to what I got told ten years ago at the same spot. Back than it was know easy for a easy visa, long opening times and value for money.

Average joe now is saying go to Vietnam or even Bali. I will admit, I spent four hours waiting for my plane in Chiang Mai and I was the only farang for most that time waiting for the plane. The rest were Chinese.

Days of the farang being top dog are over. The new Government wants only Chinese and I can plainly see that.

2 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I am in Australia now and down at my local pub, Thailand has lost its shine. Just the ordinary joe now says it’s expensive and just a short time play ground for P4P. Totally different message to what I got told ten years ago at the same spot. Back than it was know easy for a easy visa, long opening times and value for money.

Average joe now is saying go to Vietnam or even Bali. I will admit, I spent four hours waiting for my plane in Chiang Mai and I was the only farang for most that time waiting for the plane. The rest were Chinese.

Days of the farang being top dog are over. The new Government wants only Chinese and I can plainly see that.

I do not disagree with you.

But, seems too many have ego problems with not being the "top dog".

Low money, low self esteem individuals who came here years ago and wanted and probably mostly got their butts kissed.

Yes, I agree those days are over and I could careless mostly well deserved.

Some of us still enjoy this place it is still rated as one of the top ten places in the world to retire in most publications.

You can buy a condo or house here for 1/10th or less of what it would cost in my home country.

Golf and girls still rated very inexpensively for worldwide retirement destinations.

I could careless if I am "top dog".  In fact I do not want to be.

Let the Chinese come in droves.  The girls I know here just appreciate me that much more compared to them.

I certainly would rather be here then a pub in Australia.

So be it......

41 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Let the Chinese come in droves. 

But you'll lose western food joints, replaced by Chinese slop houses that one doesn't want to go closer than a mile to (safe distance from the spitting and shouting). 

If I wanted to live in Beijing, I would've moved there. Same with Moscow.

5 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

But you'll lose western food joints, replaced by Chinese slop houses that one doesn't want to go closer than a mile to (safe distance from the spitting and shouting). 

If I wanted to live in Beijing, I would've moved there. Same with Moscow.

Again, could careless.

Makro, Big C, make my own. Chicken and fish BBQ places many.

Mikey D's, KFC, Burger King, Carl's Jr. SIzzler if I want western.

If someone can not figure out this place for food how stupid then it is their problem.

Certainly seems like a poor reason to complain....

3 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Mikey D's, KFC, Burger King, Carl's Jr. SIzzler if I want western.

If someone can not figure out this place for food how stupid then it is their problem.

Certainly seems like a poor reason to complain....

That's not food, that's fast food garbage or below average chain restos. I mean places like Bazi or Grottino. Luckily those two still have enough clientele to keep them alive - for now.

The reason I chose Pattaya and not Nakhon Nowhere was (at the time) fast internet and western restaurants, plus the sea. Internet is faster than in 2007, at least. 

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

Single over 50 western males are dream tourist and expats and Thailand is lucky to have us...And I hope they never forget it....

Well, certainly forward your message to the Thai government for immediate action..

Phuket..seen 1 Blackpool..sern them all[emoji6]

I was in Phuket 6 weeks ago. I don't think I saw more than a couple of Chinese tourists tops. I understand there had been a dengue outbreak in Krabi and nearby which scared off Chinese tourists.
On the other hand, the only people I spoke English with were Thai's. The rest were Russians who didn't speak English and generally sent a cold chill down my spine.....

With regard to the poor tourist approach that's frequently mentioned here, the rip off taxis in the Phuket area with the generally poor layout of things was enough for me to never even pass through there again.....some nice people but jeeeez.

Sent from my SM-G7102 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

tideout - "On the other hand, the only people I spoke English with were Thai's. The rest were Russians who didn't speak English and generally sent a cold chill down my spine....."

Why "...a cold chill down my spine..."?

(Golden shower tape worries)?

4 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

tideout - "On the other hand, the only people I spoke English with were Thai's. The rest were Russians who didn't speak English and generally sent a cold chill down my spine....."

Why "...a cold chill down my spine..."?

(Golden shower tape worries)?

Hehe. No, a golden shower would be a warm feeling down my spine. In general, I get a cold feeling from some of the Russian folks. Must admit, no conflicts but just not as sociable as some it seems. Somewhere in my brain, I'm used to running into other English speaking folks there and having some good conversations. At least it was possible in the "old days" before cell phones were a constant distraction and a trip to the internet cafe could be an adventure of some kind......cheers.

6 hours ago, tideout said:

In general, I get a cold feeling from some of the Russian folks. 

Ah I miss the good old times when they were confined to within their borders and Arnie was kicking the stragglers back ..

Archived