BANGKOK
webfact

Less Western Expats arriving than ever before and a significant fall in working Western expats now in Thailand

11 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

never mind cost and price,

you are going about it in he wrong way if you  want good food and good wine in a good atmosphere

call it whatever you like, its still a canteen in a shopping centre, although a pricey centre,

still a shopping centre

You hit the nail on the head there

thailand just does not really fit into fine wine culture and lifestyle

it can be done but your just buying an extremely expensive bubble

my neighbor found that the hard way, eventually just moving to places like France and Portugal (I also saw him chocking a chicken on his patio  whilst I was going out for a beer on a warm fine evening)

And it's not just about wine cost, it's a lifestyle and vibe choice which is reflected in fine wine needs.

now I know When I hear people talk wine they really are  the odd man out, mitch

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry to inform, but there are some good wines available here, but the ones that are available, and worth drinking, are stupid overpriced. The restaurant we were eating at was not a canteen. It was a high end restaurant in Em Quartier. Those restaurants cost a bundle of cash to eat in. This restaurant, had an extensive wine list. Problem was, none of the good wines on the list were available! And all of the vintages were out of stock. They listed a 2010, and all they had was a 2016. And nobody knew anything about the 3,000 baht bottles. If you think I was abusing the staff, by asking for some basic information about a $100 bottle of wine, we are living on different planets! And to even consider paying $50 or so for a crappy bottle of wine, and then paying corkage on top of that, it beyond my ability to comprehend.  

Bought a bottle of Boone's Farm wine back in the early 70's. About 5 of us bought a bottle and sat around at the beach drinking.

A couple of gals sat down with us. I ended up with one of the gals. Depending on how you look at it, that was the most expensive bottle of wine I have ever bought... But worth it... haha..

Regards. 

Edited by garyk
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Fewer western expats are arriving 

Ha..ha..ha  that reminds me of an old Sloane Ranger joke..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fex Bluse said:

Fewer western expats are arriving 

Ah, you mean less.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Less who? Is he from Oz?

Less is more.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes..that's Les Redcock from Kero,South Australia.

Right, the volatile guy who is easily inflamed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1