Extension Of Non Immigrant O Visa In Bkk

I got married in Feb 2006, went down to singapore and recieved a one year multiple entry non immigration visa. I am on the last visa now, which has me leaving thailand april 16th.

when am i supposed to go to bangkok immigration office to get it extended for one year?

what do i need to show financially?

what questions are asked of me? i work online and really dont want to have to discuss my work, it has nothing to do with thailand and i am scared they will try to tax me.

I plan to travel to other countries throughout this year, how do i do this? i read something before about paying money for this in advance.

You need 400,000bt in a Thai Bank that was transfered from abroad and then go to Immigration with wife to apply.

They will want proof you are married and may come visit your home.

You sure to 400k option is still available for a first extension Skip?

I understood that the new rules require an income of 40k (global) per month and the 400k option was only available if you were grandfathered into the system pre-oct 06.

Edited by Crossy

You need 400,000bt in a Thai Bank that was transfered from abroad and then go to Immigration with wife to apply.

They will want proof you are married and may come visit your home.

mmmmm 400,000bht in thai bank?these rules applied before 1st 2006,the new rules state you must show 40,000bht per month whether its been wired from abroad{not sure if this is thai taxable} or you have earnt this either on your own or with your wife in thailand,therefore you will be asked to show thai tax payment receipts too.....good luck

The rules must have changed.

In December 2005, the Thai Wife Visa requirement was 400,000bt in the bank.

I'm now on a retirement extension so not up to date on the Thai Wife Visa requirements.

Make sure your 800k is in the bank 3 months before you're up for renewal of your retirement extension, in case you missed the new rule there too (changed Oct 1st 06) :o

The requirement for an extension of stay for marriage is 40k baht monthly income and application should be made with 3 to 4 week remaining on your current entry. Proof for Thai income would be tax receipts for the previous three months. For foreign income will require Embassy certification and letter from employer type documentation. You and wife can expect to be questioned closely on relationship but not sure how closely they will examine income proof.

So does that mean that I do not have to open a thai bank account? I am self employeed. Can I just show them a copy of my foriegn bank account statement and be done with it?

Immigration are going to want a certified letter from your embassy detailing your income, offshore is fine but it would seem that you have to show some form of income (not just pots in the bank).

It's the embassy you need to convince, UK want bank statements and payslips or a letter from my employer (I'm employed by a HK outfit so no Thai WP or tax documentation).

I've not actually done this yet, I enquired when sorting out my driving licence stuff, we shall see what occurs when we go for the real thing :o

EDIT Whatever proof you use at the embassy will also need to be shown to immigration.

Edited by Crossy

"but it would seem that you have to show some form of income (not just pots in the bank)."

Regardless of how much money I have in the bank? I mean, pretend if I have 40 million baht in the bank, they still want to make sure that I am making 40K baht/month? That sounds kind of absurd.

I daytrade for a living. The only thing I have to show my income is my tax return and bank statements.

The option of just dumping some money in a thai bank account is no longer available? I was married in early 06', I am not grandfathered in?

Nobody is saying your tax records could not be used to provide proof of income. You need to ask your Embassy - they operate by different rules. Show them what you have and if they accept it likely immigration will also accept it.

The option to dump money in a bank account, under age 50, is not available for anyone but those who were doing so prior to October.

No; a marriage itself will not grandfather you.