Why is Thailand heaven for foreign criminals? Thai media talk to immigration

rooster59

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Maybe a lot of the Thai people do not agree with some Thai laws. If I was back in the UK, and did not agree with any of their laws, I would and did not obey them if I could get away with it.

I don't need people to sit round tables and make laws for me to obey, I can decide that for myself.

I understand your point of view. However, the freedom with which you make decisions as to what laws to obey and which not to comes largely at the privilege of a society that evolved in a way whereby most citizens obeyed all laws. 

If our western countries had developed societies where everyone regularly chooses which laws to obey, we'd ended up like Thailand and many African countries. 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

I understand your point of view. However, the freedom with which you make decisions as to what laws to obey and which not to comes largely at the privilege of a society that evolved in a way whereby most citizens obeyed all laws. 

If our western countries had developed societies where everyone regularly chooses which laws to obey, we'd ended up like Thailand and many African countries. 

Despite Thailands faults, I would rather live here than in the UK any time. In fact I would even go as far as to say there are things that the UK could learn from Thailand.

21 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

So, you think that all countries have the same percentages of foreign criminals?

I stated what I think. 

First, rate of criminals coming into a country isn't an effective measure. Let us say for argument's sake that Thailand has .02% foreign criminals, and Brazil has .015%. It does not matter, I am much safer in Thailand. 

I do not think crimials flee to Thailand in disproportionate numbers. But even in the case where they did, which I am not stipulating, I think Thailand being safer than anywhere I have been in the world, would make that a non-issue. 

I think criminals most likely flee to close countries, countries with no extradition (which Thailand has with the US), to large countries where they can move and blend in, in that order. Thailand does not fit that bill very well. 

Lastly, contrary to what other folks are saying, if Thailand does in fact have a disproportionately large influx of criminals, I think they are doing a great, even amazing job. I do not see any dangeous, drug and gang infested neighborhoods being run by criminals forming etc. 

16 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Despite Thailands faults, I would rather live here than in the UK any time. In fact I would even go as far as to say there are things that the UK could learn from Thailand.

Sure, you would as is true for many. But, think about how things would be were you born Thai and arrived at an average life here. 

We can say things like "Thailand is better" because, through no effort of our own, we have benefited from lucky births in countries that make us more intelligent and more wealthy and more suited to compete in a modern world. 

As a decidedly average, working class Thai, we'd have a dramatically different view, or the same but with wildly different justification. 

15 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

I stated what I think. 

First, rate of criminals coming into a country isn't an effective measure. Let us say for argument's sake that Thailand has .02% foreign criminals, and Brazil has .015%. It does not matter, I am much safer in Thailand. 

I do not think crimials flee to Thailand in disproportionate numbers. But even in the case where they did, which I am not stipulating, I think Thailand being safer than anywhere I have been in the world, would make that a non-issue. 

I think criminals most likely flee to close countries, countries with no extradition (which Thailand has with the US), to large countries where they can move and blend in, in that order. Thailand does not fit that bill very well. 

Lastly, contrary to what other folks are saying, if Thailand does in fact have a disproportionately large influx of criminals, I think they are doing a great, even amazing job. I do not see any dangeous, drug and gang infested neighborhoods being run by criminals forming etc. 

How many fatal road accidents have you seen occur? But, yet, you do know Thai roads are among the most deadly on earth? 

39 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

How many fatal road accidents have you seen occur? But, yet, you do know Thai roads are among the most deadly on earth? 

Where do criminals go, anyway? Pattaya? Who knows. My point is I am betting i can walk into the  worst neighborhood in pattaya, pull ten grand out of my pocket, wave it in the air and give everyone the middle finger and moon them to boot, and I bet imcome home unharmed with all my money (minus fee to cop who shows up lol).

Try that same thing in rio de janero and you are looking at an entirely different, life altering outcome. Almost for certain. 

Why is that? That is the real question. 

People fail to admit it, but Thailand is doing something right when it comes to this. I think it is because they are actually super tough on drugs and people who carry them, and also perhaps because in Thailand I bet when the cops know somebody is guilty pushing drugs, no warrant required just bust in and arrest him. Total guesses, but that is my analysis, I would love to hear other opinions as to why dangerous gang and drug neighborhoods are almost non existent here. 

No way they are going to start finger printing  the index finger and check with Interpol. or at minimum their own police and Immigration database.

It would certainly be a major cut in bribe to certain people and it  would stop major  criminal coming to relax and hide here.

It would also cut passport fraud and illegal coming in and out. 

Not a real good idea.

I think it is a psychological thing.  Many criminals have a need or desire to get something, or to get more. So they have cravings.  They are not satisfied with what they have.  Warm air, sunshine, laze faire life, drinking, woman, sex needs, etc. are very important cravings to them. Many of those things can be had or are perceived to be had in Thailand and it is a fun place.  And no doubt some think Thailand is backwards, they can hide there, may never be caught, etc.  The ones that come and do the flash and splash get caught.  No idea on the statistics of the numbers that are here.

Isn't it because it's just easier for immigration to harrass the law abiding good guys, than it is to get off the fat@$$ and confront the real bad guy criminals? 

That's pretty much what I've seen from Thailand Immigration over the last 3 decades.

Actually, sometimes - whenever the FBI gives them a nudge (cough cough, threaten to stop the flow of American tax dollars to Thailand) - the Thai authorities actually do arrest these criminals.  

But if you're not on the FBI's radar...then Thailand is a safe house country.

I have read a book titled "4,000 Days" about an Australian drug courier who was caught handily and sentenced to 15 or maybe 20 years (cannot remember exactly) in a Thai prison and it read like it was no picnic.  Sounded to me like Thai justice can be extremely ruthless and harsh when it has the inclination to do so.

15 hours ago, racket said:

Wrong, prostitution was here long before the Americans were stationed in U-Tapao during the Vietnam war.
This has been refuted already.

However, I do agree that prostitution feeds corruption, crime and vice versa - a vicious cycle.

Read your history. When french first arrived in the then capital Ayuttaya in the 1700's. They reported, walking in the evening and hearing the baby prostitutes calling from their sampans moored on the riverside. The report didn't mention the ages of the prostitutes but it definitely said "baby prostitutes".

I guess the "oldest profession" has been in Thailand (Siam) for a while, And other nasty things by today's standards..

9 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

Sure, you would as is true for many. But, think about how things would be were you born Thai and arrived at an average life here. 

We can say things like "Thailand is better" because, through no effort of our own, we have benefited from lucky births in countries that make us more intelligent and more wealthy and more suited to compete in a modern world. 

As a decidedly average, working class Thai, we'd have a dramatically different view, or the same but with wildly different justification. 

Good sensible post.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Well, I guess it may be difficult for some, but if you think about it you may find some other reasons.

Like, there are many foreigners in Thailand; all the better to hide amongst. Like, Thailand offers easy access to girls, alcohol and warm climate.

Boys too!

15 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

The gentleman was referring to post-paid not pre-paid SIM cards.

i have a post paid, got from bang kapi mall only had to supply postal address in bkk,dont live permanately in thailand nor work.

11 hours ago, Fex Bluse said:

I see your argument, and I raise you this: Have there been significant improvements in reduction of local Thai crimes? Has the government locked up any prominent people from its own clan, for example?

This is a far better question to ponder than what they are doing RE foreign criminals, if your intention is to defend Thailand. 

The current government's obsessiveness with foreigners is a mere and tedious distraction.   Thai crimes are as common as ever, the place is unsafe and devoid intellectual stimulus.  I was just trying to point out that good people, at one time, could flee to Thailand.   I work with humble Thais everyday, and they are easy to defend.   The less than humble are like depraved children.  

Funny how he avoided answering what appears to be the chief reason why many criminals choose Thailand as place to hide.

Asked if foreign criminals take into consideration the ability of the Thai cops to arrest them he demurred saying that that was not high up on their thinking. They were more likely to consider the other factors that he had already mentioned related to the ease of living in Thailand. 

Amusing at best. It is the astonishing lack of competence, intelligence, organization, and willingness to enforce the law, on the part of the revenue collection department (otherwise known as the RTP), and the willingness to ignore the illegal status of these guys, once they are discovered, for a bit of cash. Easy answer Pol Col Thatchapong Sarawanangkoon. You just need to be willing to examine the facts, and look within for the source of the problem! 

On Sat Aug 04 2018 at 1:46 PM, Fex Bluse said:

I know Thai people generally probably don't want to accept it, but a significant reason so many foreign criminals come to Thailand is because so many Thai criminals are in Thailand. 

Like attracts like. A large number of low quality local people will attract a disproportionately high number of low quality foreign people. That simple. 

Overwhelming majority of Thai people break THIER OWN LAWS. So, why would they expect foreingers to take those laws seriously? 

When Thai people begin to show consistency of following their own laws, irrespective of money, power, status, they can then expect far fewer low quality people showing up in their country. 

Here here....One of the most respectfully worded comment here.... Good Morning!....Just imagine...if only Immigration was managed rigourously and stringently from say 30 years ago... Where would our THAILAND, that we love be?

Archived