Closing Maya Bay cost the Thais 35 million baht in just one month

rooster59

Closing Maya Bay cost the Thais 35 million baht in just one month

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4AJsgjt4JBjE8rLQGfhKwR7p1aiVBC0rWViWa0.jpg

Image: Thai language PBS

The head of the national park in Krabi responsible for Maya Bay has said that the closure of the beach to tourists had cost his coffers up to 35 million baht in July alone. 

The beach is being shut for four months during the monsoon season to help it recover from damage caused by excessive tourism and particularly the arrival of boats. 

The shortfall for the revenues showed when comparing figures from July of last year when the beach was still open, said Thai language PBS. 

Head of the Nopparat Thara - Moo Koh Phi Phi national park Waraphot Lormlim said that the major part of the shortfall came from the closure of the beach - but it will all be worth it when the beach recovers.

He also said that money was lost by consequences stemming from the boat tragedy in Phuket that claimed many Chinese lives. 

Thaivisa notes that such stories from PBS are usually available in the English language but this was not the case this time.

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-04

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6G0DfBs70qd6mVOVSoxkN2QRFgz.jpg

TSNBg3wSBdng7ijM6G0DfBs70qd6mVLsWFJ2woOTMa0.jpg

This is what happen when unabated rape of the environment is allowed to take place reaping and sucking every baht possible without consideration of long lasting damages, this situation not unique to Maya bay only, many places in Thailand are suffering the same faith...

6 minutes ago, ezzra said:

This is what happen when unabated rape of the environment is allowed to take place reaping and sucking every baht possible without consideration of long lasting damages, this situation not unique to Maya bay only, many places in Thailand are suffering the same faith...

Couldn't agree more.30 years of tourism on the environment and Thai management,greed are now seeing the full impact.too late I'm afraid to say.what took 10,000s of years to create won't be recovered in a few months for sure.

4 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

Couldn't agree more.30 years of tourism on the environment and Thai management,greed are now seeing the full impact.too late I'm afraid to say.what took 10,000s of years to create won't be recovered in a few months for sure.

And even when it opens tourists should be allowed a sail around and out again to photograph the beach.

No-one allowed a foot on the beach.

Was there any sort of breakdown into how they came to 35 million baht loss for just one month? And only affecting National Parks coffers?

how many visitors in one month?

how much expenditure from one tourist?

With my rough calculations, that would be a sh1tload.......................:coffee1:

3 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Was there any sort of breakdown into how they came to 35 million baht loss for just one month? And only affecting National Parks coffers?

how many visitors in one month?

how much expenditure from one tourist?

With my rough calculations, that would be a sh1tload.......................:coffee1:

Some of the photos I've seen it was almost impossible to see the sand, a lot of idiots taking selfies standing shoulder to shoulder with more idiots.

11 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Some of the photos I've seen it was almost impossible to see the sand, a lot of idiots taking selfies standing shoulder to shoulder with more idiots.

I hear you, I have seen similar photos. What I'm saying though is the numbers of people visiting in a month, and how they get to 35 million baht.

Even if we call it optimistically 1,000,000 people a month, that would be 33,000 daily visitors a day. Could Maya bay even take that? And from that theoretical 33,000, how much would they spend in a day at Maya?

I don't know, maybe possible? Or not.

2 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

I hear you, I have seen similar photos. What I'm saying though is the numbers of people visiting in a month, and how they get to 35 million baht.

Even if we call it optimistically 1,000,000 people a month, that would be 33,000 daily visitors a day. Could Maya bay even take that? And from that theoretical 33,000, how much would they spend in a day at Maya?

?

Even 3 shifts a day it would be hard to get that number in.

( even if they sre chinese )

as we have come to expect all that matters to thais is the amount of money they can make,  they dont give a sh*t about the environment and the damage that is being done to it as long as they are profiting from the destruction.

Some win, some lose.

Maya Bay National Park has lost out on this one for a while but Chiang Rai will be a winner soon with the new museum and cave attraction. That will be a gold mine for some and last like Maya Bay until it too is environmentally destroyed by tourists and local opportunists. 

Rinse and repeat for just about every popular tourist attraction in Thailand.

I remember specifically that we had one member on TV, that had a long discussion with me in earlier news about Maya Bay. He argued and got angry because I didn´t believe him when he said that closing Maya Bay would not cost anybody anything? I guess, eeeh?? Oh, let´s just say that he remember himself and now finally understand how wrong he was.

Still not saying that closing Maya Bay is wrong. It is needed for recovery, but that does not take away the joy of beeing right regarding the costs. Let´s just say that you hide away from the discussion this time. You know who you are. :wink:

I've sailed in there several times, we only latch on to a mooring have a swim, a snack and move on, we certainly don't consider heading for the beach, after about 08.30 it is ridiculous how many power boats come from the main land and Phi Phi ... but if we looked at the figs like this;

35,000,00 Baht divide by say; 500 baht per head for the boat charge to get there, that's 70,000 people per month so a tad over 2000 per day ... yep, that possible from sun up to sundown, however, there is a fee to pay when you touch the beach itself, I guess the boatmen pay for his passengers, from memory its about 200 baht each ... so add that to the baht figs or reduce the number of people, either way, its possible ...

As some members suggest, close down the beach and allow a limited number of people to cruise around inside the bay for 5 minutes ...

Also, from what I recall, there are no shops on the beach, maybe a couple of vendors on the first boats that go over ?

it's 400 baht a person to step on the beach, so the 35 million would be 3-4 thousand a day, which is very realistic.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, overherebc said:

Take a tip from Malaysia, strict daily limits for access to some areas and you need to pay for a place, good idea, limited numbers and finance for management. 

On 8/4/2018 at 7:50 AM, overherebc said:

Exactly, but it's so strange that Westerners don't come to Thailand anymore like before.

I have been the only person on maya beach for many hours.....long time ago.

4 hours ago, Thian said:

I have been the only person on maya beach for many hours.....long time ago.

Yes, I even went there a couple of years after The Beach movie made it famous, and it was still pleasantly quiet back then (albeit low season). Not been since, hard to imagine what it's turned in to. 

34 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

Yes, I even went there a couple of years after The Beach movie made it famous, and it was still pleasantly quiet back then (albeit low season). Not been since, hard to imagine what it's turned in to. 

I was there 25 years ago and i was amazed that there was nothing living in the undeep water except sea-cucumbers. No fish or anything swimming there.

But on the path from the beach to the village were thousands of small red crabs with a big nipper. They always sat there together.

8 minutes ago, Thian said:

I was there 25 years ago and i was amazed that there was nothing living in the undeep water except sea-cucumbers. No fish or anything swimming there.

But on the path from the beach to the village were thousands of small red crabs with a big nipper. They always sat there together.

Crabs.

Poor things have probably all been curried by this time.

Archived