Anybody has any experience with Mae Fah Luong University Hospital

MadameM

The visa, the place to live, the car to drive, and

now, the healthcare!

I personally like the university hospital because it is somehow research-based.

I wonder anybody has used the healthcare services at Mae Fah Luong U. Hospital -- would love to hear from you folks.

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

My limited experience with Chiang Rai hospitals has been at Kasemrad Sriburin which I found to be very good.

I've learned from ThaiVisa folks as well that Kasemrad is good particularly on the dental care. I got the name Dr. Cheewan whom I'll definitely see him. One thing I'm interested in MFL U. Hospital is their medical services for the elderly. I may need them to take care of my husband in their elderly care unit when I need to go back to the US for some possible reasons and a short visit. I don't want to leave him by himself even with his homecare assistant. 

Anyway, I will check them -- MFL U.H, myself by the time I am there.

Hi Madame M I can only attest to the traditional Chinese medicine department at  MFL.U. It seems to be the only place to receive chiropractic. But my experience and observation is that is on an equal if not higher level than the other two big hospitals so I believe the quality is there.  

13 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

Of course, it has to come down to your personal experiences when you use the facilities.

As you saw with your car topic, different people will always have different opinions.

Of which I call brainstorming ☺️

7 hours ago, Randell said:

Hi Madame M I can only attest to the traditional Chinese medicine department at  MFL.U. It seems to be the only place to receive chiropractic. But my experience and observation is that is on an equal if not higher level than the other two big hospitals so I believe the quality is there.  

Thank you, Randell.

Their Alternative Medical services interest me as well. My husband is loaded up with 6 pills daily. He is in good hands here in the US, but with an alternative medicine at MFL. U. H, he may have more options to live to the fullest. Some Thai friend and family told me MFL U H has a well-known research-based care for elderly. I listen, respect, gather info. and will visit the hospital once I am there in CR. -- to find out!

7 hours ago, harrry said:

Physio there is fantastic

Wow! Thanks.

I have been thinking of having my husband try Thai massage to help increase circulation and strengthen muscles. He had the massage once 30 years ago while touring the street of Bangkok -- but that was a different story ?

How did you come across with the Physio there? May I ask?

What is the benefit thereafter?

Massage is so common in Thailand. My grandma used to have another grandma masseuse come in once a month to give her in-house massage. Between the time, it was me who would stand on her thighs and legs and walk up and down them for 1 sa-lueng (a quarter baht) -- I was 5 or 6 years old. 

Nice to hear some customer reviews of MFLU hospital. I've been curious about the care there but never heard from anyone who went there. I'll have to look into it more, especially the alternative medicine options. In the US I usually have had good experience with University-based care.

I've had good experience with Kasemrad medical care, but was not at all impressed with its dental department. For minor things I go to one of the new private clinics, for more advanced procedures like implants I've been satisfied by going to Chiang Mai.

5 hours ago, harrry said:

I was not talking about massage..which is available.  I was meaning standard Western Style Physiotherapy which was affordable and of very high standard.

Oh! Well! my misunderstanding. So, it's physical therapy. 

On 8/5/2018 at 5:06 PM, Manassas said:

I've had good experience with Kasemrad medical care, but was not at all impressed with its dental department. For minor things I go to one of the new private clinics, for more advanced procedures like implants I've been satisfied by going to Chiang Mai.

Could you provide me the name and the address of the private clinic in ChiangRai -- for minor things? 

4 hours ago, MadameM said:

Could you provide me the name and the address of the private clinic in ChiangRai -- for minor things? 

There are a couple just south of downtown on old Phahonyothin Rd. I think one is named Happy Family. I just look for cleaner newer facility and go from there.

18 hours ago, KC 71 said:

My Niece has just changed jobs from Overbrook To MFLUH
Apparently it is good there.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I just drove my niece to an interview at MFLUH. First time I've been to the hospital and was impressed with the facility - at least the lobby. While waiting a nurse explained that that large complex under construction just outside the MFLU gates is going to be a huge medical center affiliated with ASEAN. I've been wondering what was being built there. I have no details on the medical center but it sure is large. The nurse said they hope to open in about a year.

7 minutes ago, Manassas said:

I just drove my niece to an interview at MFLUH. First time I've been to the hospital and was impressed with the facility - at least the lobby. While waiting a nurse explained that that large complex under construction just outside the MFLU gates is going to be a huge medical center affiliated with ASEAN. I've been wondering what was being built there. I have no details on the medical center but it sure is large. The nurse said they hope to open in about a year.

Caught my attention already! I will find out very soon. 

CR residents are spoilt for choice these days with regards to medical facilities. Even Bangkok Group has nearly completed their hospital near Baan Du.

Locals are obsessed with Overbrook (God's choice apparently). Personally I avoid it and advise anyone I know to avoid it, I find the primary care doctors to be unethical, prescribing completely unnecessary diagnostic procedures and medicines.

The University hospital is about to get very big indeed, I drive past their huge new teaching hospital every day. The care on offer is likely to be of a very high standard, you can expect this from  any  teaching hospital.

Personally I have Kasemrad hospital designated on my social security, and believe me that choice means something. They have doctors there that I trust. They also yanked out my wisdom teeth a few years ago, really good dental facilities.

9 hours ago, MadameM said:

What do you mean by designated on your SS? Does the US medicare cover the med. cost here in Thailand?

By the way, I have US-based Blue Cross health insurance and it covers care at most of the major Thai hospitals. I pay cash to the hospital then submit a claim to the insurance. I've never had a problem so far.

1 hour ago, Manassas said:

By the way, I have US-based Blue Cross health insurance and it covers care at most of the major Thai hospitals. I pay cash to the hospital then submit a claim to the insurance. I've never had a problem so far.

Hmm... very interesting. How can you do that?

My husband is on Medicare and uses Kaiser. Kaiser will cover only urgent /emergency care while he is out of the US for the limited time of 6 months. I am not qualified for medicare yet, so I keep my health insurance in the US for about a year or so during the transition. I spend my last 2 weeks here seeing my doctors and promise them to come back to see them next year, or once a year, perhaps. Good excuse to go visit the US next year.

He has all his med. that'll last for 6 months. I think I have to introduce him to the new Internal Med. doctor in Thailand - just in case.

I couldn't agree more with you NilSS. I believe my wife died of sepsis unnecessarily at the Overbrook hospital. A long story which I won't go into but my own personal experience on over prescribing the wrong or unnecessary drugs has happened to me. One result from the wrong drug was a ruptured achilles tendon. So I would advise everyone to use the many other options. Of course this is  only my personal opinion.

18 hours ago, Randell said:

I couldn't agree more with you NilSS. I believe my wife died of sepsis unnecessarily at the Overbrook hospital. A long story which I won't go into but my own personal experience on over prescribing the wrong or unnecessary drugs has happened to me. One result from the wrong drug was a ruptured achilles tendon. So I would advise everyone to use the many other options. Of course this is  only my personal opinion.

Randell, I'm so sorry for your loss. Yes, sepsis is very serious infection. We have a great concern on sepsis here.  The doctor or hospital doesn't want the patient to stay in the hospital too long since it increases the chance of getting sepsis. I hope the doctor and hospital in Thailand are aware of this deadly infection.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Archived