A new medical? I recall a 5-minute procedure

onlycw

On 8/7/2018 at 7:16 PM, onlycw said:

TBH, I never heard of anyone I know catchign Syphilis. I thought that was an issue of days past!

I think this requirement was added due to an uptick in the number of Syphilis cases among migrant workers from nearby countries.   At least that is what I was told by someone at immigration.  

I have routinely been given a drug test as well.   I went to a nearby hospital three years ago and they did an extremely thorough exam.   In addition to the Syphilis test, they did a lung X-ray, drug test (meth) and a mental test!   The mental test was pretty cursory, but it was noted on the certificate.   I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't cheap, but I had experience with that hospital before, so I knew it wasn't going to be a quick/easy/cheap exam.   It was just more convenient and time was a consideration.

I think this requirement was added due to an uptick in the number of Syphilis cases among migrant workers from nearby countries.   At least that is what I was told by someone at immigration.  

I have routinely been given a drug test as well.   I went to a nearby hospital three years ago and they did an extremely thorough exam.   In addition to the Syphilis test, they did a lung X-ray, drug test (meth) and a mental test!   The mental test was pretty cursory, but it was noted on the certificate.   I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't cheap, but I had experience with that hospital before, so I knew it wasn't going to be a quick/easy/cheap exam.   It was just more convenient and time was a consideration.

Yes. My doctor told me the syphilis test is required due to it being active in migrant labour, specifically from Myanmar; and farangs need to be tested too, so that it is not applied discriminatedly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• 1 month later...

For a few years my health certificate was provided by a local clinic without any tests. Today I was informed that we now need to go an approved clinic. I got the results in 40 minutes at the princely sum of 350 baht. Imagine my delight to pass all tests:

Elephentiasis

Tuberculosis

Syphilis

Alcoholism

Drug addiction

Hepatitis

Leprosy.

• 7 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 5:13 PM, AGareth2 said:

just done mine

blood test

chest x-ray

urine test

medical cert

870 bht

Same here.  After 8 years of quick 100 baht clinic certificates, I was told by the HR person from my new job that it had to be from a state hospital.

Tested me for exactly the same tests you mentioned, and to be more specific, the urine test was for methamphetamines.  Good Lord.

Cost was similar as well.  In addition to the general bureaucratic tightening up and xenophobia since 2014, I think the local labor office requirements are stricter when you live near the border, cuz I've never had to deal with this nonsense before.  

A meth test?  Are you <deleted> kidding me?!

20 hours ago, ramr said:

Same here.  After 8 years of quick 100 baht clinic certificates, I was told by the HR person from my new job that it had to be from a state hospital.

Tested me for exactly the same tests you mentioned, and to be more specific, the urine test was for methamphetamines.  Good Lord.

Cost was similar as well.  In addition to the general bureaucratic tightening up and xenophobia since 2014, I think the local labor office requirements are stricter when you live near the border, cuz I've never had to deal with this nonsense before.  

Why not?  Plenty of foreigners in LOS take drugs and plenty would have no hesitation, like people from any country, to be taking drugs during work time. 

For my WP renewals for at least the last 20 years a syphilis test was needed, and the staff at the WP / labour office (Din Daeng and Rangsit) always checked the medical reports for the syphilis and other blood tests results.

On 8/9/2018 at 10:25 AM, NetJunkie116 said:

Really, I have never heard of or read of ANYONE being tested for drugs, meth or otherwise.

Check previous TV threads on this subject, it's been mentioned many many times before.

On these medical certificates is space to add a field what they've checked.

I've told my clinic to add "Syphilis" checked, and I still pay 60 baht for a copy.

Whoever's going that way, please tell the labor department that you've paid over 500 baht when they ask you. 

It's in no way being dishonest, and it just saves you money and a lot of time. 

It might not work in all provinces, and some will tell you that you have to go to the local hospital with all the required tests, which usually includes X-rays and a  urine test for drug abuse. 

And that can take half a day, depending on the time and day you go there. 

On 5/7/2019 at 12:01 PM, ramr said:

The doctor decides on what drug she/he'll be testing you. Considering that Thailand's meth use is almost everywhere, they usually test applicants for meth abuse. No kidding. 

Archived