Verification of UK degrees - made screen prints

onlycw

One cannot get the British embassy to verify one's degree. Apostilles? From some UK law firm in Bangkok? A sworn statement at the cop shop or Tessaban? Logging on would be a piece of cake.

Someone posted a horrific tale of paying hundreds of pounds for this verification. Courier services back and forth... Add to that practical issues like having no one who would go and take my degree to some town hall or government office, take a number, wait, pay and then forward the apostille. 

Now I wonder how y'all have been handling the new requirements?! 

It does make me laugh that in Thailand of all places, where many of their 'university degrees' are only  useful as door stops, they ask you to verify a UK degree.   Of course, its because many of their own are bogus, bought, or otherwise corruptly obtained. 

It seems to be mentioned more and more nowadays and seems to be utterly pointless and a huge expense.

The HR in the school I started in last August asked me and other new starters to do this once we had arrived from the UK. I went to ask the Head about it and he said just leave it. They have all my info, references from schools in the UK, my original certificates, transcripts and my QTS certificate which can be checked against the database. How can that not be enough?

I tell you what, there is no way I will be paying hundreds and hundreds of pounds to do this. 

On the flipside, my wife started at quite a large international company in Bangkok once we had moved back here too. They didn't even ask to check her U.K MSc certificate or transcripts from her Uni in England. For all they know, she could have bought that on KSR the day before. 

I got my degree certified at the UK embassy 3 months ago. It depends on the mood of the staff. Cost about 2000 baht.

I actually went to get my birth cert. Certified, but they wouldn't do that, but said yes to degree, took 10 minutes.

5 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

I think you'll find that the new rules were introduced in May this year. I can't remember the exact date - 18th?

Whew,  that was lucky! They also stopped doing the form for renouncing British citizenship just after I did it, around the same time.

Archived