Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

I manage living here with a wife and a son at university that I still support on under 20,000b a month. The far north is as cheap as you can find anywhere in Thailand, locals are living on 12,000b a month often with one partner full time the other part-time. When I arrived 32 years ago the only option was to live like a local. I still do. The only problem has been having to move further out into the country to avoid the effect of the SUV, whole meal vegan and yoga mat brigade that invaded the town, that became a city, that started acting like California.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CLW said:

Maybe around 10,000 per month like so many working in retail and service jobs. And they are still alive, have food everyday and lead a passable life. So please TV stop spreading myths and foreigners should stop moaning that you can't survive with or less than 25k per month. Of course if you drink everyday, only eat out and with western food, probably frequent some bars it can be difficult....
But other than that with a moderate lifestyle 25k is doable in BKK, more even in smaller cities or upcountry.

to be honest I dont know how id  spend 25k a  month once ive finished working on the land here, 5  years into construction etc almost done now

3 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Was this an "answer this survey" thing in Thaivisa.

if so it is nowhere near a random sample it is selective for the age group, type of person and many other factors in those who 

1. Follow TV

2. Are likely to answer a survey. (Counts me out)

That's right, at best it's reflective of people who are active on ThaiVisa.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Maybe around 10,000 per month like so many working in retail and service jobs. And they are still alive, have food everyday and lead a passable life. So please TV stop spreading myths and foreigners should stop moaning that you can't survive with or less than 25k per month. Of course if you drink everyday, only eat out and with western food, probably frequent some bars it can be difficult....
But other than that with a moderate lifestyle 25k is doable in BKK, more even in smaller cities or upcountry.

There is a BIG difference between living and surviving !  

1 hour ago, BEngBKK said:

I think the surway was silly.

I answered that I live for less than 25000/Month, but I earn more that 60000... ?

Since my wife own the house and it is already paied out and we have no children,  we do not have high expenses....And she earn more than me, so she newer ask for money.......

(And YES..... There are nice Thai women in Thailand.... Not all are gold diggers)

Same..I thought they were asking how much we spend monthly, not how much we earn. 

1 hour ago, yellowboat said:

Another intellectually stimulating article about money, dosh, moola, coin, fat stacks, scratch, dough, cabbage, cheddar, dead presidents, dinero.  

You forgot the wonga, clams, wedge, stash, folding-stuff, c-notes, shekels, loot, groats, smackers and my all-time favorite, filthy lucre.

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Almost a quarter (23%) were said to be trying to get by on less than 45,000 baht a month. 

Not sure I could do that, and I’m a single guy living in a condo I own. 

Maybe, I need to curb my spending habits...

2 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

what's wrong on living on less than 45k? 

Nothing at all. It's mostly people who have been spoon-fed until they become 30, and consequently can't cook their own meals and have to eat at restaurants everyday, that are complaining.

8 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

And what freedom is that or are you moving to la la land with a flat cap??

I think you missed my sarcasm from being a E.U. member …?…(damn Boris with his bus with 350 mil. a week , he got you all in his pocket(s)..)

1 hour ago, brianp0803 said:

Many Thai people earn less than 15,000 baht a month. If someone make three to four times their salary would be considered rich enough  to have enough money to share with them.

Many expat over 50 living in Thailand very likely have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars.

"...have assets in their home country in excess of a million dollars."

It's unbelievable such people leave all that at home and come to suffer in a terrible, undeveloped, xenophobic, racist, dangerous 3rd world country.

There seems to be a lot of trash been thrown around about the 'well to do' expatriates in Thailand. Absolute thrash.

In 2013 In Chiang Mai, I met a retired U.S. truck driver who was proud of the fact he was living on less than U.S. $600 a month. He really was upset with himself one month when he went over budget and bought a cheap third hand underbone bike to get around on. 

In Siem Reap, Cambodia last year I found it easy to live on between 700 - 800 U.S. a month. It all depends on what comfort luxury level you want, and how much entertainment you want.  Some people need only $600 or so per month.  Other people can’t get by on less than $3000 or $5000 bucks a month. And they will tell others that they will need that much also.  All depends on how much comfort and luxury you believe you need. I had all the luxury and comfort while growing up. I find I can be happy on much less these days. 

If you own your cars, and pay a Thai rent for your home, do not drink much, you do have health insurance, do not travel too much, your GF or wife do not need luxury maintenance, and do not have kids or relatives to take care, 25000 thb its is more than enough to have a good life in many small towns in Thailand. But for Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, and few more.... multiply X 2. If you try the same life in Califiornia...multiply for 5.

1 hour ago, CLW said:

Well said, let all these spoiled complainers live their own pathetic lives and if they don't get around here with more than 20-30k no one will stop you of returning back home.

12 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Nothing at all. It's mostly people who have been spoon-fed until they become 30, and consequently can't cook their own meals and have to eat at restaurants everyday, that are complaining.

Agreed, I'm always surprised at the number of western adults that can't cook, then complain about restaurant prices and junk food.

If a food court sells it for 50bht, you can cook it at home for 10bht, saving 80% of your eating costs.

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Not everyone has (or wants) a 1 year retirement VISA extension, in which case you don't need to show any money.

than the point is missed about the topic is meant for expatts ….. they are then categorized as tourist or worse : over stayers ….not ?

5 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What did you pay for rent, health insurance? 

What sort of food did you eat?

Besides the saxophone did you do anything interesting?

He has repeatedly told you that he lives comfortably in Thailand, with an educated wife not a peasant, no financial burdens, no parasites among wife's relatives, plenty of cash ... So stop feeling envious and nitpicking about his daily habits.

Archived