Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

6 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

If you own properties that is not an unusual amount. Older UK expats often have at least one property. And good company pensions.

What is a older expat? Does 57 count? Wish I had a pension on the horizon, but not on the cards. No property in the UK either. I am one of the poor buggers who will be living on the breadline when I retire in three years then (according to many).

Live on about Baht 45k at the mo' and sometimes dosh left over at the end of the month. Don't feel I'm struggling to survive. Even manage to go out with the missus once or twice a week. Actually, I don't need any more lolly to be happy. 

I think it boils down to individual tastes and interests. There is no one size fits all scenario.    

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, GarryP said:

What is a older expat? Does 57 count? Wish I had a pension on the horizon, but not on the cards. No property in the UK either. I am one of the poor buggers who will be living on the breadline when I retire in three years then (according to many).

Live on about Baht 45k at the mo' and sometimes dosh left over at the end of the month. Don't feel I'm struggling to survive. Even manage to go out with the missus once or twice a week. Actually, I don't need any more lolly to be happy. 

I think it boils down to individual tastes and interests. There is no one size fits all scenario.    

Same boat ! same situation ????

Got 4 kids in the Uk (2 in their 30s), none of them appear to be happy, or appear to have much of a future.
Sky high housing costs, education debt, zero hour contracts, no more company pensions and rented house shares.
My Thai daughter will finish University in Thailand next year with no debt, and walk straight into a job which will pay her enough to buy her own home (if she wants).

I'm not sure if it's you with an over optimistic idea about the west, or me seeing nothing but doom and gloom in the west, we both can't be right.
Still ok in the uk, if you put the effort in. All my kids (3), with varying qualifications from degree to general education have their own homes and jobs. If you're willing to put the effort in and make sacrifices, it can be done.
Zero hours contracts are coming in for a lot of criticism, and I suspect will reduce due to regulatory and social pressure.
I dont have Thai kids, so dont know what I would do for sure, but probably get them private tutorship and good support.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 10/25/2019 at 11:52 AM, iamariva1957 said:

Well... sort of depends on where in thai  you live.

150k a month?!  What could you possibly NEED that much money for?  I mean, I'll take it if it's offered, but 40 or 50k is plenty to live on.  And I have 2 kids in private school.

Savings on the other hand is a challenge, but that is more dependant on personal discipline and spending habits than amount of income IMO.

5 minutes ago, Jadam said:

but 40 or 50k is plenty to live on.  And I have 2 kids in private school.

how could 40 or 50k possibly be enough with 2 kids in private school?  that wouldn't cover tuition just for one kid at a decent private school in Thailand (assuming your kids are in Thailand).

5 minutes ago, Jadam said:

150k a month?!  What could you possibly NEED that much money for?  I mean, I'll take it if it's offered, but 40 or 50k is plenty to live on.  And I have 2 kids in private school.

Savings on the other hand is a challenge, but that is more dependant on personal discipline and spending habits than amount of income IMO.

There's a bloke on here who purports to use 250,000bht a month....????

Must have one very posh bird eh...

7 minutes ago, transam said:

There's a bloke on here who purports to use 250,000bht a month....????

Must have one very posh bird eh...

Lol, there was a survey on here & somebody claimed to be spending > 750,000 per month, I'm sure there are people who spend that sort of money but I don't know how!!!

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Lol, there was a survey on here & somebody claimed to be spending > 750,000 per month, I'm sure there are people who spend that sort of money but I don't know how!!!

That's just wasting not spending. Even the best penthouses in Bangkok you can get for 200k rent, you might as well just throw money out of the window.

If you invest that amount each month into an asset that produces value thats one thing but just pissing it away is braindead.

14 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Many years (12 or so) ago I was chatting with a bloke in a bar in Bangkok, turned out his job was finding accommodation, maid, car, driver etc  for executives who were moving to BKK to live and work. They would be working for companies like Exxon, maybe VP for SE Asia.

He stated that his current client was looking for a "package" that would use as much of this as possible, the sum was 400,000 Baht a month. That was a sum on top the guy's salary.

46 minutes ago, Jadam said:

I’ll assume you’re not a bell ringer ? ????

21 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's just wasting not spending. Even the best penthouses in Bangkok you can get for 200k rent, you might as well just throw money out of the window.

If you invest that amount each month into an asset that produces value thats one thing but just pissing it away is braindead.

You’re only here the once 

Now would I rather buy equities or splash out on Pui and 2 of her friends on a boat for the weekend ????????????

1 minute ago, Bruntoid said:

You’re only here the once 

Now would I rather buy equities or splash out on Pui and 2 of her friends on a boat for the weekend ????????????

Well, i would buy a gogo bar/nightclub or entertainment complex and have free Puis and 40 of her friends as a lifetime supply, if i was into that stuff, and produce cash.

You can't reasonably spend 750k on hookers here, and if you do you get way better value for money in other places.

19 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Well, i would buy a gogo bar/nightclub or entertainment complex and have free Puis and 40 of her friends as a lifetime supply, if i was into that stuff, and produce cash.

You can't reasonably spend 750k on hookers here, and if you do you get way better value for money in other places.

A few Christmases ago I was fortunate to have been on a staffed boat party (Scorpion boat), swarming with Pui’s (apologies to all Pui’s out there) - Christmas dinner laid on and a few cases of bubbly - the bill for that little baby was 2.3mil ! One of life’s never forget moments. 

A decent car will swallow up 100,000 a month here. 

However generally agree you don’t NEED to but 750k a month is easy to do - in Bkk very easy. 

16 minutes ago, Bruntoid said:

A few Christmases ago I was fortunate to have been on a staffed boat party (Scorpion boat), swarming with Pui’s (apologies to all Pui’s out there) - Christmas dinner laid on and a few cases of bubbly - the bill for that little baby was 2.3mil ! One of life’s never forget moments. 

A decent car will swallow up 100,000 a month here. 

However generally agree you don’t NEED to but 750k a month is easy to do - in Bkk very easy. 

A posh bloke eh....????

750,000bht a month is easy for the gullibleI suppose...

But the gullible will be taken in any country..

Archived