90-day report fine - payable at airport?

I'd greatly appreciate advice regarding my 90-day situation.

When I realised recently that my 90-day date was approaching, I first tried to report online, which involved traipsing around BKK looking for a place which would allow me to use internet explorer (as we only have Macs at home); of course, when I eventually (internet cafes being a thing of the past) located such a place, online reporting wasn't operational.

I'd read up on this forum about doing the report by mail, & chose to ignore the (as it turns out, apparently very accurate) info to the effect that the docs need to arrive more than 7 days before the relevant date; mine were delivered at CW only 5 days before. I'd enclosed a self-addressed return envelope with 40 Baht stamps on, as advised.

Anyway, I waited for confirmation that either the necessary had been accomplished, or that the docs had arrived too late to process, & that I'd need to make the expedition to CW. It's now 18 days since my 90-day date, I've had no acknowledgement of anything from CW, so I'm obviously going to have to pay the B2,000 fine.

As I'm flying out of the country in 24 days (ie 42 days after the 90-day date), I wonder if anyone could inform me, firstly, if the fine increases over time, or whether it stays fixed at B2,000, & secondly, whether it can be paid, without undue hassle &/or time-wasting, at the airport prior to departure, thus eliminating the need for the tedious trip to CW.

I would have expected the courtesy of some sort of communication from CW; it looks like that was seriously naive.....

At this point, forget about doing the 90-day report. On a subsequent trip to Thailand, immigration may or may not notice your previous omitted report. If they do, it will be the same 2,000 baht fine. If you have proof of your mailed report, they will most likely waive the fine.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, georgey said:

I've had no acknowledgement of anything from CW, so I'm obviously going to have to pay the B2,000 fine.

It's not uncommon not to receive an acknowledge by mail, especially if you didn't pay for EMS return.

That doesn't mean they haven't noted your report in the computer.

You could always contact them by phone to confirm.

I'm curious where you got the figure of a 2000 baht fine.

That's the max fine for failing to file a TM30, which CW don't enforce anyway.

According to the Immigration Act;

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the
following :
5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the
competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as
possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days.
Where there is
an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be
punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for
each day which passes until the law is complied with.

7 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

I'm curious where you got the figure of a 2000 baht fine.

That is the normal fine for not doing a report or being late. I don't recall anybody paying the max fine of 5000 baht.

• If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the normal fine for not doing a report or being late. I don't recall anybody paying the max fine of 5000 baht.

Source: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/sv_90day

Immigration rarely charge the max 2,000 baht fine for not filing a TM30 either.

I was just curious where the OP got the figure of 2,000 baht fine, now I know.

That's a glaring inconsistency between the Immigration Act and Immigrations website.

Sorry, I am new on here (but not to Thailand). What is CW? I have tried without success to file a 90 day report. I was three days late one time, they asked for 2000Baht, but would accept 1000 if you did not take a receipt. Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Sorry, I am new on here (but not to Thailand). What is CW? I have tried without success to file a 90 day report. I was three days late one time, they asked for 2000Baht, but would accept 1000 if you did not take a receipt. Go figure.

Chaeng Wattana immigration in Bangkok.

There should be no fine unless you are more than 7 days late including the date the report is due including weekends and holidays.

• Like 1

At the airport normally they don't check the 90 day reporting. When you come back to Thailand and visit the immigration again you fill out the form with the last entry to the kingdom. If this is not longer than 90 day's the officer will not look further. You just must remove the piece of paper from your passport where the last 90 day report is stamped.

You do have to take action and contact the office you did send to. And show them in person the proof that you send it to them.

You had to use EMS service.

If you lost the oroof of sending the lettr you have to go to the police office first. File a report, with that report you can get a new one.

I know two cases on which they actually fined 5000 thb.

As well normally fine 2000 thb as long as you report to them.

Theu will add a stamp in you passport too.

You do have to report every 90 days.

And can use a window of 15 days before and 7 days after.note this are calander days oncluding wekened, hollidays and other official day announced and unannunced.

• 1 month later...

Can someone please confirm what the law states for filing the 90 day reporting late?

I do know there is a 7 day grace period allowable before the fine is allotted as I have been late before and within the 7 days so no fine was placed.

However just the other day I went and filed my 90 day and was 8 days late (1 day past the 7 day grace period).

I was expecting to pay 500 baht as I thought the fine was 500 THB for each day late up to a max of 2k THB. However I was surprised when they charged me 2k THB and told me that 2k THB was the fine regardless how late the filing was after the 7 day grace period. Funny as I showed them where on their own 90 day form it states at the bottom a max of 5k THB..... Hmmmmm  TIT !!!!!  Bahhh  jing jing

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I was expecting to pay 500 baht as I thought the fine was 500 THB for each day late up to a max of 2k THB. However I was surprised when they charged me 2k THB and told me that 2k THB was the fine regardless how late the filing was after the 7 day grace period. Funny as I showed them where on their own 90 day form it states at the bottom a max of 5k THB..... Hmmmmm  TIT !!!!!  Bahhh  jing jing

The 500 baht a day fine is for an overstay not for being late for 90 day reporting.

The normal fine for not doing a 90 day report or being late is normally 2000 baht up to a maximum fine of 5000 baht.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The 500 baht a day fine is for an overstay not for being late for 90 day reporting.

The normal fine for not doing a 90 day report or being late is normally 2000 baht up to a maximum fine of 5000 baht.

Thanks for the prompt reply....  What you stated is what I kind of thought but wanted confirmation because I can almost swear that the last time I was more than 7 days late for 90 day reporting (5 years or so ago) they charged me 500 THB per day....  but then again my 'old man' brain may be fading a little.

I am wondering what would impose the max of 5k THB, a sour disposition to the officer, an extremely late reporting, or end of month and needing more revenue?

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, BritTim said:

At this point, forget about doing the 90-day report. On a subsequent trip to Thailand, immigration may or may not notice your previous omitted report. If they do, it will be the same 2,000 baht fine. If you have proof of your mailed report, they will most likely waive the fine.

"If you have proof of your mailed report, they will most likely waive the fine".

They will not waive it if he sent it in too late which is what he seems to be saying.

12 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

I am wondering what would impose the max of 5k THB, a sour disposition to the officer, an extremely late reporting, or end of month and needing more revenue?

Possibly for never doing a report. I have seen posts from people that have been only been fined 2000 baht for not doing a report for a year when they went to apply for their extension. Others have said they just pay the 2000 fine and have never done a report.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:45 PM, georgey said:

It's now 18 days since my 90-day date...I would have expected the courtesy of some sort of communication from CW; it looks like that was seriously naive.....

You will get the courtesy of a response within the stated guidelines and somewhere on it's website Immigration says to contact them if there is no response after 30 days.   18 days since you sent it is nothing to be complaining about, you're going to get done for B2000 regardless of how long it takes them to reply.

As you are expecting so much courtesy from Immigration, would it not be reasonable for you to show the courtesy of sending you report to them on time, or does it only work one way?

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Tanoshi said:

It's not uncommon not to receive an acknowledge by mail, especially if you didn't pay for EMS return.

That doesn't mean they haven't noted your report in the computer.

You could always contact them by phone to confirm.

Immigration do not require you to pay for EMS for the return, in fact they do not offer any choices.  All they ask is that a B10 stamped, self-addressed envelope is sent with the report.

For sending the report to them they require that it is sent by registered post, not EMS.

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 12:28 PM, Autonuaq said:

You do have to take action and contact the office you did send to. And show them in person the proof that you send it to them.

You had to use EMS service.

Contacting them to query the status of the report is only accepted after 30 days.

EMS is not required for delivery of the mailed report, the only requirement is that the letter is sent registered mail.