I just finished a 48 hour intermittent fast (IF)

simon43

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

Ok if this research holds up (have to see that in the future) then you are right. Still if i look at how the people responded to not eating in those shows. They had to get their own food and could not, plus they did a lot of physical things like building shelter looking for food ect it really made them weak, mentally unstable ect. I am not sure how long it took for them to get in that state but it did not look healthy. I am not sure how many days these guys went without food or little food but its probable it was over 72 hours.

Anyway it is interesting to know about this research. I won't be doing it until i have more proof but it certainly is interesting just like research on gut bacteria and metabolic rate / fat loss ect.

Just out of curiosity do you do bike rides while you are on a fast ? 

Actually if you look at science based research into starvation response (google Dr. Kevin Hall from the NIH in the book “Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation”.), severe weakness does not occur once ketone bodies are being fully released, and as long as body fat stores are prooviding a sufficient fuel source.  In fact, due to hormonal changes that occur during nutritional deprivation (massive release of growth hormone, for instance), energy is sufficient for the activities you described.  I mean, if this were not the case, we would have perished long ago as a species.

Also food for thought is the Scotsman, Angus Barbieri who fasted for 382 days and suffered no ill effects.  Sounds crazy, I know, but it is true! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Barbieri's_fast)

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, robblok said:

...Just out of curiosity do you do bike rides while you are on a fast ? 

I experimented with it but decided against it.  What I found was that even if my body is fairly adapted to using fat as a primary fuel, I really need the more accessible energy that carbs can provide on a hill climb. 

I have no problem maintaining BMR and doing mild activities like regular bike riding or mild jogging, but if you are really putting out the watts like you do on a hill climb (or a heavy workout int he gym), you really need the carbs. 

Now there are some athletes (ultra marathoner Tim Olsen for instance) who claim they can compete as keto athletes, but they are in a whole different elite class when it comes to performance. ????

35 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Actually if you look at science based research into starvation response (google Dr. Kevin Hall from the NIH in the book “Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation”.), severe weakness does not occur once ketone bodies are being fully released, and as long as body fat stores are prooviding a sufficient fuel source.  In fact, due to hormonal changes that occur during nutritional deprivation (massive release of growth hormone, for instance), energy is sufficient for the activities you described.  I mean, if this were not the case, we would have perished long ago as a species.

Also food for thought is the Scotsman, Angus Barbieri who fasted for 382 days and suffered no ill effects.  Sounds crazy, I know, but it is true! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_Barbieri's_fast)

You should really look at that TV show i quoted, there you see what happens if you fast too long (forced as he could not find enough food on the island to start with)

So I disagree that people don't get weak (maybe not in 72 hours) but people definitely go crazy when low on food. It was not just this TV show, there were quite a few survival shows and it really showed how little energy people had and how they got extreme mood swings and stuff. 

I watched multiple of those survival shows (alone, naked and afraid, ed stafford) and all of them suffered quite badly from fasting (forced of course probably longer as 72 hours).  So i doubt that ketones keep someone going for a long time. Your 72 hour might not be long enough to have those ill effects plus you did not have to do as much as they did of course.

4 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I experimented with it but decided against it.  What I found was that even if my body is fairly adapted to using fat as a primary fuel, I really need the more accessible energy that carbs can provide on a hill climb.  I mean, if you are putting out the watts, you need the carbs.  Now there are some athletes (ultra marathoner Tim Olsen for instance) who claim they can compete as keto athletes, I sure didn't find it to be the case, at least for me...but then again, I'm not in that sort of elite athlete class by any means ????

Yes there are those that claim they can compete and some might be able too. But you have to wonder how good would they do with carbs vs without.

Anyway for stuff what you do mountain rides you do indeed need carbs maybe flat running does not need them. 

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes there are those that claim they can compete and some might be able too. But you have to wonder how good would they do with carbs vs without.

Anyway for stuff what you do mountain rides you do indeed need carbs maybe flat running does not need them. 

Yeah, and I have no problem with carbs in those cases.  Like we discussed before, if you are burning them off from activity, they are not evil, as long as they are not highly processed ones. ????

Just now, WaveHunter said:

Yeah, and I have no problem with carbs in those cases.  Like we discussed before, if you are burning them off from activity, they are not evil ????

I know and I am well aware of carbs and insulin sensitivity, so I also understand when they are evil and when not. I said it before I use them around my training and even then not in huge amounts. 

Carbs can be a problem that is for sure and cutting processed ones from people who are overweight is certainly a good start. 

23 minutes ago, robblok said:

I know and I am well aware of carbs and insulin sensitivity, so I also understand when they are evil and when not. I said it before I use them around my training and even then not in huge amounts. 

Carbs can be a problem that is for sure and cutting processed ones from people who are overweight is certainly a good start. 

I agree; it's really so simple.  For most overweight people, simply cutting out processed sugar will do amazing things.  One of the most evil actions of the food industry and the fast food industry (IMHO) is the pervasive use of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in almost EVERYTHING! 

I think, more than anything else, that's what is responsible for the epidemic rise in type 2 Diabetes, especially in children.  The increased use of HFCS and the rise in type 2 Diabetes in kids BOTH occurred during the same timeframe; over the last couple of decades.  Up until then, type 2 Diabetes was almost unheard of in kids!

Anyone who does not see that correlation between high sugar in the diet and Type 2 Diabetes should really think about that. 

Some will argue that it is dietary fat, not sugar that causes Diabetes type 2.  Of course the food industry and fast food industry has jumped on this bandwagon since HFCS is super cheap and super addictive.  Everything these days is "low-fat".  So then, why is diabetes still on the rise?  I think the reason is pretty clear; it's the sugar, not the fat!

Those who argue that fat causes Diabetes type 2 need to consider that the disease is caused by insulin resistance; and, unlike carbs, fat does not spike insulin; so it cannot be a contributor. However, if you gobble down vast quantities of carbs, and fat, then that is not going to be good for you!

1 hour ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Those who argue that fat causes Diabetes type 2 need to consider that the disease is caused by insulin resistance; and, unlike carbs, fat does not spike insulin; so it cannot be a contributor. However, if you gobble down vast quantities of carbs, and fat, then that is not going to be good for you!

Exactly.  I really don't understand why there seems to be a huge debate about whether excessive carbs or excessive dietary fat are the underlying cause of type-2 diabetes.  The metabolic mechanisms are very clear and easy to understand, and they involve excessive sugar, not fat.

Yet there are people like noted cardiologist and top selling author, and featured speaker in the film, What the Health , Dr. Neal Barnard who insist that fat, not sugar is the culprit. 

I've read some of his books and frankly I am not impressed at all.  He rarely if ever provides a scientific explanation for his position; one that explains the metabolic mechanisms involved and instead makes provocative and misleading statements like this one:

"In Japan, China, and other Asian countries, the transition from traditional carbohydrate-rich (e.g., rice-based) diets to lower-carbohydrate Westernized eating habits emphasizing meats, dairy products, and fried foods has been accompanied by a major increase in diabetes prevalence. "

What does that any of this mean anyway.  That is hardly scientific proof that fat is the culprit.  It could mean that in becoming "westernized", these people are eating more heavily processed foods which of course are much richer in SUGAR.

Anther one of his misleading remarks is to cite a Yale University study in which researchers looked into the human body with a technique called MR spectroscopy, which is a big scanner.

"Inside the muscle cells and the liver cells of people headed for diabetes they found something they weren't expecting; tiny particles of fat - cheese fat, chicken fat, beef fat.

That is incredibly misleading since there is a HUGE difference between dietary fat (that you eat), and stored fat in and around the liver that is associated with type 2 Diabetes.

It seems to me like he is more interested in selling books and being on talk shows than in helping people avoid Diabetes and other metabolic syndromes associated with excessive sugar.

In his favor though he does advocate a plant-based diet as being more healthy than one containing lots of animal protein, and that sounds real good to me, but the notion that sugar does not have anything to do with diabetes defies all notions of modern metabolic science.

My very traditional Thai mother in law, who lives out in the sticks, had fatty liver disease. Local doctor doled out the usual pills. We suggested she try a low-carb diet, and surprisingly, she did. The fatty liver is gone, she no longer takes the pills; and the doctor just does not comprehend how that could happen!

4 minutes ago, FracturedRabbit said:

My very traditional Thai mother in law, who lives out in the sticks, had fatty liver disease. Local doctor doled out the usual pills. We suggested she try a low-carb diet, and surprisingly, she did. The fatty liver is gone, she no longer takes the pills; and the doctor just does not comprehend how that could happen!

Nice!  I hate to say it but most doctors seem clueless when it comes to nutrition.  I guess it's just easier for them to reach for the prescription pad than try and understand the underlying cause of a disease and proactively guide their patients to be healthy in the first place.

Not dissing anyone not picking any fights, but reality television shows are not a good place to get any realistic medical or nutritional device.  They are just entertainment.  Dozens of reality shows have been busted as nothing but setups and come ons to keep viewers tuned in to the show. 

I prefer fantasy shows on TV like 100, Gotham, GOT, Shadowhunters.  I like TV to entertain me.  There are science shows and documentaries on diet and exercise but I would not take away anything from a show called "naked and afraid."   It is just a giant reality come on to get you to watch.  I have friends that watch it.  I just wouldn't bother.

15 hours ago, FracturedRabbit said:

Fat certainly is not a cause of it though if you lose fat often the blood values for diabetic get better too. But its carbs that cause it everyone knows that.

11 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Not dissing anyone not picking any fights, but reality television shows are not a good place to get any realistic medical or nutritional device.  They are just entertainment.  Dozens of reality shows have been busted as nothing but setups and come ons to keep viewers tuned in to the show. 

I prefer fantasy shows on TV like 100, Gotham, GOT, Shadowhunters.  I like TV to entertain me.  There are science shows and documentaries on diet and exercise but I would not take away anything from a show called "naked and afraid."   It is just a giant reality come on to get you to watch.  I have friends that watch it.  I just wouldn't bother.

Its not about nutritional advice, its seeing for real what happens if you don't eat for a longer period. All the shows I seen all displayed exactly the same thing. Huge mood swings (people became total emotional wrecks). Total lack of energy too.

That just counters that you can fast for a real long period (longer then 72 hours) and have no ill effects. I certainly don't use it as nutritional advice as it shows how bad it is to go without food. That is the only thing i learn from it.

But i love those survival shows I really do I know im crazy.

12 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

Nice!  I hate to say it but most doctors seem clueless when it comes to nutrition.  I guess it's just easier for them to reach for the prescription pad than try and understand the underlying cause of a disease and proactively guide their patients to be healthy in the first place.

I agree with you however, many patients don't want to change their diet as its too hard. They expect a pil not a change in diet. Though in the Netherlands they push for a change of diet. But still not as hard as they should. 

11 hours ago, dontoearth said:

I agree.  There’s so much disingenuous information out there, whether it’s from these so called reality shows or YouTube, it’s no wonder people get confused when it comes to basic health issues. You have to be wary.  Even academic-based studies are often a poor source of the truth since they are often conducted or underwritten by those who stand to gain financially by a particular point of view.  You really need to scrutinize your sources of information, and only accept contents that is absolutely science-based, not merely anecdotal.

I always find it amusing when I watch YouTube vids of people fasting over a period of time. Before I did my first water fast I wanted to read and watch as much info as I could so was fully prepared for what lies ahead. 

There are numerous videos of people filming their progress and some are hilarious. I appreciate everyone is individual and reacts differently but when I see people claiming near death after a couple of days I think a lot of it is for the craving for attention more than food. 

I have done numerous water only fasts and am by no means super fit or human but I manage to complete them and remain relatively stable throughout while exercising daily throughout the period. 

As a previous poster said I consider them to be part of my life and feel many benefits in addition to eating and maintaining a healthy diet / lifestyle. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:20 PM, WaveHunter said:

Off topic but have to confess that I have a weak spot for McDonalds.  I know it's bad for me but it tastes so good LOL!  It's funny how good it actually tastes and how terrible I feel within minutes of finishing it, and yet time will pass and the craving for it will return.  Luckily I only fall prey to it a few times a year.  Unfortunately, I walk past McDonalds almost every day and for the last few weeks I've been walking past a little slower than I should LOL!

On my annual trip to Thailand I always spend the last 3 or 4 nights in Bangkok and when I get a bit weak from hunger I go straight to a Burger king,it's the only time I do it but I do avoid the soda and French fries just a whopper.This trip I have lost 5-6kg down to just under 73kg was touching 79kg just after Christmas.

25 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I agree.  There’s so much disingenuous information out there, whether it’s from these so called reality shows or YouTube, it’s no wonder people get confused when it comes to basic health issues. You have to be wary.  Even academic-based studies are often a poor source of the truth since they are often conducted or underwritten by those who stand to gain financially by a particular point of view.  You really need to scrutinize your sources of information, and only accept contents that is absolutely science-based, not merely anecdotal.

Shows, i am talking about were good and not on youtube. They were not aimed at weight loss or fasting. It was just something that happened and it clearly shows that fasting for a long period (more then 72 hours) combined with exercise (in their case work) leads to huge emotional swings and total weakness. Instead of dismissing it you should look at it and see what I mean. 

It has of course no impact on people who do a 72 hour fast or people who fast longer but do nothing. 

Your right about research it can be used in so many bad ways and can be used to sell supplements and stuff. You do have to look who funded it and why. I like https://examine.com/   for information. 

39 minutes ago, robblok said:

Its not about nutritional advice, its seeing for real what happens if you don't eat for a longer period. All the shows I seen all displayed exactly the same thing. Huge mood swings (people became total emotional wrecks). Total lack of energy too.

That just counters that you can fast for a real long period (longer then 72 hours) and have no ill effects. I certainly don't use it as nutritional advice as it shows how bad it is to go without food. That is the only thing i learn from it.

But i love those survival shows I really do I know im crazy.

Sorry to say this but those reality shows are anything but “real”.  They are heavily scripted and not indicative of the real world at all.

I have done two long-term water fasts just out of curiosity for what really happens.  My longest fast was for ten days.  I did it after reading Hall’s white papers that ive mentioned before, “Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation”

What I found was just what was described in these studies; that once the body fully shifts over to utilizing stored body fat for fuel, and once the associated hormonal changes also occur, such as increased production of nor-adrenalin, cortisol, and growth hormone, there is ample energy for the body to function normally.  

Of course, you’re not going to have explosive energy but you are perfectly capable of conducting day to day normal activities with no feeling of fatigue at all, and any mental lassitude subsides.  Fact is, I felt really good once this occurred.

This doesn’t happen immediately though.  You go through a period of several days of fatigue while the production of ketone bodies and hormones ramp up, and yes it can be quite uncomfortable, but then you wake up one morning and strangely, you feel refreshed and energetic.  

This happened to me both times I fasted by the 5th or 6th days, and continued thereafter.  I admit it was surprising to me, but it’s true, and the science that explains it is sound.

1 minute ago, WaveHunter said:

Sorry to say this but those reality shows are anything but “real”.  They are heavily scripted and not indicative of the real world at all.

I have done two long-term water fasts just out of curiosity for what really happens.  My longest fast was for ten days.  I did it after reading Hall’s white papers that ive mentioned before, “Comparative Physiology of Fasting, Starvation, and Food Limitation”

What I found was just what was described in these studies; that once the body shifts over to utilizing stored body fat for fuel, and the associated hormonal changes also occur, such as increased production of nor-adrenalin, cortisol, and growth hormone, there is ample energy for the body to function normally.  

Of course, you’re not going to have explosive energy to compete in sports, but you are perfectly capable of conducting day to day normal activities with no feeling of fatigue at all.  

This doesn’t happen immediately though.  You go through a period of several days of fatigue while the production of ketone bodies and hormones ramp up, and yes it can be quite uncomfortable, but then you wake up one morning and strangely, you feel refreshed and energetic.  

This happened to me both times I fasted on the 5th or 6th days, and continued thereafter.  I admit it was surprising to me, but it’s true, and the science that explains it is sound.

Maybe american ones but the English ones are a lot better. However it shows the same thing with all the shows that proves it. You might not believe it because you believe in fasting but I believe what i see. Especially if it comes from like 5 or so different sources and from research. 

These guys were of course doing exercise (looking for food building shelter) so you can't compare it with your fast. Anyway the show of Ed stafford is not scripted at all as he films it all himself and there is nobody there besides him. But sure disregard it without even looking at it, that is real scientific. For good fun just look at parts of the show of him on the island. You will see it happen yourself.

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe american ones but the English ones are a lot better. However it shows the same thing with all the shows that proves it. You might not believe it because you believe in fasting but I believe what i see. Especially if it comes from like 5 or so different sources and from research. 

These guys were of course doing exercise (looking for food building shelter) so you can't compare it with your fast. Anyway the show of Ed stafford is not scripted at all as he films it all himself and there is nobody there besides him. But sure disregard it without even looking at it, that is real scientific. For good fun just look at parts of the show of him on the island. You will see it happen yourself.

Sorry, I wasn’t intending to offend.  I just don’t put much stock in anecdotal accounts as a scientific basis to prove or disprove a concept.  

Hall’s work is pure science and his studies were conducted strictly in accordance with accepted standards of the “scientific method”, and this research was not funded or underwritten in any way by parties that could stand to gain by the outcome.

And, as I said, I experienced all of this first hand on my own with my two long-term fasts so I know for a fact what really happens.  True, you go a little nuts for a few days...but then when things really kick in as described, you’re fine.

im not advocating that others undertake long-term fasts.  There are risks for sure, especially if you’ve got pre-existing health issues or if you don’t know what you’re doing.  What’s more, I don’t see any real value in such long-term fasting unless you’re morbidly obese and that in itself is life-threatening, and you’re doing it under the supervision of a knowledgeable physician who’s treating you for that condition.

I did these long-term fast only out of curiosity to see if these concepts were really true or not.

2 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Sorry, I wasn’t intending to offend.  I just don’t put much stock in anecdotal accounts as a scientific basis to prove or disprove a concept.  Hall’s work is pure science conducted strictly in accordance with accepted standards of the “scientific method”, and this research was not funded or underwritten in any way by parties that could stand to gain by the outcome.

And, as I said, I experienced all of this first hand on my own with my two long-term fasts so I know for a fact what really happens.  True, you go a little nuts for a few days...but then when things really kick in as described, you’re fine.

I was not comparing your fasts with their forced fast as yours is far less extreme as you don't have to build shelter and look for food. Plus these guys slept on the ground at a campfire if it was there if not in the rain. So lack of sleep played a part too. It was real convincing to see like 5 different shows like that and the contestants all suffering the same thing. (Ed Stafford is a bit different as he is a professional but he suffered too). You have to remember Ed Stafford stayed on that island for 60 !!! days and was dropped there naked with only some camera equipment. So that is not the kind of fast you are talking about but more extreme. I think that if you had pushed yourself further you would go down too, not as fast as them as you did not exercise and you slept well. 

This is not anecdotal as its recorded on video so scientific, anecdotal is when stuff is not really recorded. 

All am i saying is push it too far and you will suffer, i am not equating your 72 day fast with what these guys do. What these guys did is how it happened when we were still hunter gatherers. 

18 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was not comparing your fasts with their forced fast as yours is far less extreme as you don't have to build shelter and look for food. Plus these guys slept on the ground at a campfire if it was there if not in the rain. So lack of sleep played a part too. It was real convincing to see like 5 different shows like that and the contestants all suffering the same thing. (Ed Stafford is a bit different as he is a professional but he suffered too). You have to remember Ed Stafford stayed on that island for 60 !!! days and was dropped there naked with only some camera equipment. So that is not the kind of fast you are talking about but more extreme. I think that if you had pushed yourself further you would go down too, not as fast as them as you did not exercise and you slept well. 

This is not anecdotal as its recorded on video so scientific, anecdotal is when stuff is not really recorded. 

All am i saying is push it too far and you will suffer, i am not equating your 72 day fast with what these guys do. What these guys did is how it happened when we were still hunter gatherers. 

Ok, I see your point.  Bottom line though is that he survived.  That’s the whole point.  That’s what the body’s starvation response is all about...survival, not comfort.  The human body is designed to survive in the absence of food, and for a VERY long time.  Therefore, in my mind, fasting is not an unhealthy or unnatural state.  

It’s actually pretty amazing when you think about it, and new research that is identifying positive health benefits associated with short periodic fasts make think of fasting as a positive thing to do.

BTW, my “experimental” fast was for 10 days, not 72 days.  I do a 72 HOUR fast monthly for reasons I previously explained.

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Ok, I see your point.  Bottom line though is that he survived.  That’s the whole point.  That’s what the body’s starvation response is all about...survival, not comfort.  The human body is designed to survive in the absence of food, and for a VERY long time.  Therefore, in my mind, fasting is not an unhealthy or unnatural state.  It’s actually pretty amazing when you think about it.

I think what they experienced was negative, what you experienced was not. You did not push it too far.

I am in no way comparing a 72 hour fast with what they did. 

Fasting is not unnatural, its a survival mechanism that works. However too long will do damage. 

I am not against fasting, i might try it once too in a quiet period just too see. But I would be happy if i could last 72 hours.

21 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think what they experienced was negative, what you experienced was not. You did not push it too far.

I am in no way comparing a 72 hour fast with what they did. 

Fasting is not unnatural, its a survival mechanism that works. However too long will do damage. 

I am not against fasting, i might try it once too in a quiet period just too see. But I would be happy if i could last 72 hours.

I totally agree that an extreme fast that pushes the body too deeply into survival mode is not something one would want to do.  My point is simply that the body is designed to deal with a fasted state.

Too many people have an antiquated mindset when it comes to nutrition such as the belief in “3 square meals a day” or that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”.  Some literally freak out thinking they are in jeopardy if they miss a meal.  Every day somebody comes up with a new fad diet or notion like “its better to eat smaller meals, 5 or 6 times a day.

Theres rarely any real science to back up these claims but people blindly follow them.  That’s why I place a lot of value in science-based research, as opposed to anecdotal narratives like you typically see on YouTube such as “How I lost 10 pounds in 5 days by eating grapefruit” ???? 

However, there is a lot of science that supports the notion of short-term “intelligent” fasting as a healthy thing to do.

But now I’m just ranting so I’ll shut up!

24 minutes ago, robblok said:

....I am not against fasting, i might try it once too in a quiet period just too see. But I would be happy if i could last 72 hours.

You should give it a try and see for yourself.  Just try it for 24 hours first time.  Then try 48 hours, before you try for 3 days.  

Unfortunately, most of the discomfort of fasting happen from the 2nd to 3rd day for most people, and it’s not pleasurable by any stretch, but having completed your goal makes it all worthwhile if you go into it with a good understanding of why it’s beneficial, and how it really works.

If you seriously plan to do it, read or watch YouTube videos by Dr. Jason Fung.  This guy is honest and transparent in explaining the physiology and metabolic mechanisms of fasting, plus he has a remarkable ability to present complex concepts in an easy to understand and entertaining way...and most importantly, he is entirely science-based and completely unbiased.

21 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I totally agree that an extreme fast that pushes the body too deeply into survival mode is not something one would want to do.  My point is simply that the body is designed to deal with a fasted state.

Too many people have an antiquated mindset when it comes to nutrition such as the belief in “3 square meals a day” or that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”.  Some literally freak out thinking they are in jeopardy if they miss a meal.  Every day somebody comes up with a new fad diet or notion like “its better to eat smaller meals, 5 or 6 times a day.

Theres rarely any real science to back up these claims but people blindly follow them.  That’s why I place a lot of value in science-based research, as opposed to anecdotal narratives like you typically see on YouTube such as “How I lost 10 pounds in 5 days by eating grapefruit” ???? 

However, there is a lot of science that supports the notion of short-term “intelligent” fasting as a healthy thing to do.

But now I’m just ranting so I’ll shut up!

I like this topic much more fun then other topics on Thaivisa. I like exercise and training and food. So I will keep commenting.

There is quite a lot of research that shows that breakfast people are less fat then people who skip it. Again this is proven but does not mean eating breakfast make you lose fat. 

I do believe in eating a bigger breakfast then lunch smaller and diner even smaller. That being said for me its easy to cut breakfast at times and just eat less on a day. I don't see it as a law on itself and things should be flexible if you adhere to the principle of eating healthy.

The 5-6 times a day was done by bodybuilders and for them it works, but you can't compare those guys with normal people. Lot of evidence shows that there is no advantage by eating more times or less times. It is still about the amount of calories. That being said if you eat carbs all the time its better to concentrate them so insulin is not elevated all the time.

6 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

You should give it a try and see for yourself.  Just try it for 24 hours first time.  Then try 48 hours, before you try for 3 days.  

Unfortunately, most of the discomfort of fasting happen from the 2nd to 3rd day for most people, and it’s not pleasurable by any stretch, but having completed your goal makes it all worthwhile if you go into it with a good understanding of why it’s beneficial, and how it really works.

If you seriously plan to do it, read or watch YouTube videos by Dr. Jason Fung.  This guy is honest and transparent in explaining the physiology and metabolic mechanisms of fasting, plus he has a remarkable ability to present complex concepts in an easy to understand and entertaining way...and most importantly, he is entirely science-based and completely unbiased.

I will see when and if, it must be when I have no work to do and no gym training otherwise id kill myself (figuratively). I have serious problems working when I am hungry I am then constantly thinking of food. How i eat now makes sure I am not hungry and can work and lose weight when I want.

For me 1 or 2 more months and then Ill go eat more again (maintenance) and just keep at it it not piling on fat anymore. Already not fat anymore, but the lean stage is just hard to accomplish. (think 10% bodyfat)

1 hour ago, Kadilo said:

I always find it amusing when I watch YouTube vids of people fasting over a period of time. Before I did my first water fast I wanted to read and watch as much info as I could so was fully prepared for what lies ahead. 

There are numerous videos of people filming their progress and some are hilarious. I appreciate everyone is individual and reacts differently but when I see people claiming near death after a couple of days I think a lot of it is for the craving for attention more than food. 

I have done numerous water only fasts and am by no means super fit or human but I manage to complete them and remain relatively stable throughout while exercising daily throughout the period. 

As a previous poster said I consider them to be part of my life and feel many benefits in addition to eating and maintaining a healthy diet / lifestyle. 

I agree about the YouTube videos.  Some are pretty funny.  Some are also downright scary when you realize how uninformed some of those people are.  I mean, fasting is a safe thing to do provided you aren't stupid about it, but YouTube shows how many stupid people there really are out there, that's for sure!

Archived