Spending A Week In Chiang Rai...

Little to offer there, Jai Dee. As has been noted on another thread here, "Cat's Bar" is a bit of a dragon's lair

So much so that to mention this troll under the bridge is dangerous!

Its existance, unfortunately, keeps much else from happening.

Live music and katoey shows at the Night Bazaar (2 stages) are very popular (for good beer, Kloster or Asahi, one must wait while they run out to get it...), and there's the awful singers before the 'coyote' and 'model' shows at the Airport Pub (Krua Luang !!!)... sometimes overcrowded shows for the young at Pa (Par) Club though I shouldn't comment as I've never been... Something nearby on the Superhwy had Carabao not so long ago, might have regular music, in fact I think they do but I haven't been there either (like most locals, I think).

The go-go bars seem to think house/rap/hip-hop is what their customers want to hear so they don't have any!

CR49 at least has good music videos often (near the Chalermchai Haw Nalika Nakliet under construction which used to be such a useful landmark) and the music at Bo's Place (most recommended place in town) isn't bad at all.

Try not to judge us on our lack of live rock! We're here for the quiet, safe, healthy good weather and low-cost economy etc, and even Chiang Mai, with its many many live music pubs hardly really ever rocks! Very good three-string plucking for the next 10 days, in Lahu villages... sometimes even amplified a little bit...!!!

Try not to judge us on our lack of live rock! We're here for the quiet, safe, healthy good weather and low-cost economy etc, and even Chiang Mai, with its many many live music pubs hardly really ever rocks! Very good three-string plucking for the next 10 days, in Lahu villages... sometimes even amplified a little bit...!!!

Don't worry... I'm looking forward to it.

And hopefully catch up with a few of you locals for a quiet ale or two?

I'll get the first round.

:o

Visit the Hilltribe Museum and Education Center located beside the Cabbages and Condoms Restaurant (3rd Floor of PDA Building). Good value for your money. Learn lots of things about tribal people.

Go to Thoeng district (approx. 60 km from down towards Chiang Kham). The highlight would be the freshwater prawn farms and pigging out on prawns at the restaurants there. Prawn farms is located approx. 3 km off the Chiang Rai - Chiang Kham highway.

I'm planning on coming up to CR with my missus in the first week of March... flying to CM first, renting a car, catching up with some mates there, some sight-seeing and shopping... then driving up to CR.

What do you locals recommend doing in our 5-6 days there?

Any suggestions for sight-seeing, activities, restaurants, accommodation etc. would be welcome.

Par Club at Inn Come hotel.

That's It at Saen Plu hotel.

So Hub near Saen Plu hotel.

Cabbages and Condoms restaurant along Thanalai Rd. beside Atchiwa Sueksa College

Khum Chao Nang Restaurant somewhat isolated but nice lakeside restaurant. Ask for directions.

Night Bazaar. There are two stages. I personally prefer the one where most Thai people go. Pick your food, they deliver to your table and you pay. Cheap and painless.

Great tips everyone... keep 'em coming.

What about nightlife... both the missus and I enjoy live music... Thai rock... not too overcrowded and smoky... somewhere "happening"!!!

JD,

If you go from Golden Triangle and Chiang Saen you must not miss the Buddha Image Museum.

It is the museum with the biggest collection of Buddha image in the world. Quite interesting.

And they have thousands of the small ones too. One of them is valued to 50 mil bath!

You find the museum on the road between Chiang Saen and Mae Chan (1016) between milestone 6 and 7 (around 7 km north of Mae Chan).

Coming from Chiang Saen it is on your right side, biggest gate in northern Thailand, you cannot miss it!

C u!

:o:D :D

I can't believe that none of you guys has recommended

Pu Chi Fa and surroundings, especially at this time of year

for scenery around Chiang Rai

Also there is a new lookout above Thoeng

with tremendous views over that area

just below the temple

The elephant camp at Ban Ruam Rit

is well worth a visit a is any trip down the river

As to live entertainament I am sure the

Inn Com entertainment centre is still there

The disco blow your mind speakers are bad but

in between that the shows with live musicians and

the cracking girls are very good

tung tsz

Hopefully be up there in March but only for the one night so will be sticking to the local boozers around the Baitong and along "the Jed"...Anybody got a map?...

Hopefully be up there in March but only for the one night so will be sticking to the local boozers around the Baitong and along "the Jed"...Anybody got a map?...

There you go dude, here's a map that was published in CommuniThai magazine, hope it's useful to you.

post-11996-1171233026_thumb.jpg

ImageDude :o

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the map ImageDude.

:D

2 weeks to go... CM next week then CR at last... looking forward to it.

Jai Dee, I will also be in Chiang Rai from the 25th Feb, I usually have a beer or three at Bo's Place during my visits. :D

ImageDude :D

Jai Dee, I will also be in Chiang Rai from the 25th Feb, I usually have a beer or three at Bo's Place during my visits. :D

I'll buy you one mate. :D

Anyone else want to get together over a few ales?

Any particular day/time/place?

I'll buy you one mate. :D

Anyone else want to get together over a few ales?

Any particular day/time/place?

Bo's is about as far as I get to. (on most occasions Jai Dee) Saturday arvo is always good at Bo's for a beer. around 5 ish, and if we ask him nicely he'll put the super 14's on for us. :bah:

ITR