Current situation for obtaining a tourist visa at Penang, Malaysia

I know Vientiane, Laos is a safe bet for obtaining a Tourist Visa; it's pretty much guaranteed you will receive one with the minimum set of requirements. However, I actually dislike going there and do want to try Penang, Malaysia instead...

But what is the situation at Penang? Is there an actual requirement for every applicant to show tickets in/out of the country, and provide proof of accommodation, ie hotel bookings? Obviously Vientiane does not require either of these. Hoping someone who has recently been to Penang and received a TR can provide some feedback.

If Penang is a no go, what are the other alternatives? Singapore?

Thanks guys.

Edited by Bountyhuntr

Penang require a bank statement and flight booking. Singapore have strict requirements too and don’t like issuing tourist visas to those getting back to back tourist visas.

You won’t find anywhere easier than Vientiane assuming you haven’t hit their limit.

4 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Penang require a bank statement and flight booking. Singapore have strict requirements too and don’t like issuing tourist visas to those getting back to back tourist visas.

You won’t find anywhere easier than Vientiane assuming you haven’t hit their limit.

I have no problem showing bank statements etc, but not a flight booking. On Penang website application checklist it also states accommodation booking as well. Do the agents still issue fake flight bookings there or not? I only have one tourist visa in the passport but about 5-6 exemps.

What about Cambodia? It's like 3-4 days to receive a visa?

Edited by Bountyhuntr

4 hours ago, Bountyhuntr said:

What about Cambodia? It's like 3-4 days to receive a visa?

3 days (apply in the morning of day #1, collect in the evening of day #3) via an agent. As of last month, they required a bank statement and a flight out, no hotel booking. They probably won't issue a visa if you already have many tourist visa in your passport. Otherwise and if you can meet their requirements, it's fine.

Penang is iffy. My guess would be that you would get the visa, but possibly a red stamp also. These days, I am pretty sure they insist on a flight reservation out of Thailand (possible to satisfy in a number of ways). Some have reported being required to show a ticket out to Thailand to their home country!

Personally, I would be inclined to avoid Penang at the current time. The rules there are in a state of flux, and I have the impression that the senior official is unfriendly towards applicants.

Consider Ho Chi Minh City, Yangon or Hong Kong. Based on recent experiences, I would choose Kuala Lumpur over Penang, but there are insufficient reports to be confident.

• Like 2

I was there recently. Penang is ok but you have to pay for your outward tickets etc. When i went there a couple of months ago there were reused visas based on flight tickets. Also remember they only help the first 100 people or so. They changed the rules. Hong Kong the toughest I have been to. Vientiane will be good if you have a nice place to stay mate. Muang Tahn is where I always go to. 3min walk from consulate and 5 star hotel. I bet you will be ok.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, elviajero said:

Hi. Can you give any further info regarding their limit that you mention ?   I am going to Vientiane in a few weeks to get a new 60 day tourist visa.  I already have 3 in my passport,  2 from London and 1 from ho chi Minh .   

Many Thanks.    kr

Penang changed big time. Must show 20,000 baht in a bank statement, must show hotel bookings (they have a big sign that lets you know you will be banned for 1 year if you get caught with fake documents) and they are only accepting 100 people a day.  

Last time I went this past June the fellow at the consulate almost denied me a tourist visa (I don't have back to back tourist visas) because he said I needed my departure flight in 60 days to show I was returning to my home country. My tickets were to China and I told him I had a business meeting during that time to go to when I left Thailand. He finally gave me the visa but said next time I need my tickets to show I am going back to the USA which made me furious because it is non of his D*** business where I go to when I am leaving Thailand.

Also they have the new consulate, before at least that had that sidewalk you could line up on now everyone piles up in front of the front security door and there is no line or numbers at all. When they open the gate everyone rushed like mad to try to be one of the 100 to get in that day. Thankfully I got in and then they make you wait again outside in the scorching sun until you get called inside to the huge room with AC. Why they can't let more people into that big waiting room inside with seats I don't know, I am sure they make the foreigners stand in line in the hot sun on purpose. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, keefryan said:

Hi. Can you give any further info regarding their limit that you mention ?   I am going to Vientiane in a few weeks to get a new 60 day tourist visa.  I already have 3 in my passport,  2 from London and 1 from ho chi Minh .   

Many Thanks.    kr

You will not have a problem getting a visa in Vientiane. They only count visas they have issued.

3 hours ago, vinegarbase said:

Penang changed big time. Must show 20,000 baht in a bank statement, must show hotel bookings (they have a big sign that lets you know you will be banned for 1 year if you get caught with fake documents) and they are only accepting 100 people a day.  

Last time I went this past June the fellow at the consulate almost denied me a tourist visa (I don't have back to back tourist visas) because he said I needed my departure flight in 60 days to show I was returning to my home country. My tickets were to China and I told him I had a business meeting during that time to go to when I left Thailand. He finally gave me the visa but said next time I need my tickets to show I am going back to the USA which made me furious because it is non of his D*** business where I go to when I am leaving Thailand.

Also they have the new consulate, before at least that had that sidewalk you could line up on now everyone piles up in front of the front security door and there is no line or numbers at all. When they open the gate everyone rushed like mad to try to be one of the 100 to get in that day. Thankfully I got in and then they make you wait again outside in the scorching sun until you get called inside to the huge room with AC. Why they can't let more people into that big waiting room inside with seats I don't know, I am sure they make the foreigners stand in line in the hot sun on purpose. 

I always used to go to Penang, I love the place but visa on arrival is starting to sound attractive, am shocked at all the nonsense that is going on. 

3 hours ago, keefryan said:

Many Thanks.    kr

Vientiane seem to limit (nothing officially published) people to 3-4 visas before issuing a warning stamp. They only seem to count the visas they issue in that count.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rosst said:

I always used to go to Penang, I love the place but visa on arrival is starting to sound attractive, am shocked at all the nonsense that is going on. 

Assuming you're an Aussie you can't get, and don't need, a VOA. You qualify for the Tourist Visa Exempt Scheme, which is a good option, but only for occasional visits.