Single entry non o based on child

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone has any recent experiences with getting a single entry non o based on having a child in any of the embassies in Laos. I've heard they are a bit more relaxed on the money situation than other embassies.

Here is my situation :

• British national
  • Together with the mother of my son for 4 years (not married)
  • I have the birth certificate for my son
  • I have the registration from our local amphur confirming I am the legal father
  • We have her tambien bahn and obviously her docs like her ID card, passort
  • I do NOT have 400,000 baht in the bank
  • Of course any other supporting docs like photos etc to show some family history

Based on above has anyone had any experiences where single entry non o is possible. Or am I pissing in the wind. 

Thanks

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The embassy in Vientiane and the consulate in Savannakhet do not ask for financial proof.

You will have no problem getting a single entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their there registry in a tambien ban.

No need for photos other than the 2 that are needed for the visa application form and one for the Lao visa on arrival.

Thank you very much 

hello, I am wondering,

if somebody has the choice between visa for being married, for having a Thai kid, or for being older than 50, is there any reason to choose one over the others ?

Maybe only marriage and retirement allow to get a multiple entries 1 year visa ? (not possible for thai kid)

But to get a non o retirement you need to have 400k in a bank for 3 months, when you don't need any money for wife visa ?

So wife visa is the only one that you can get for 1 year multi entry without any money ? So it's the easiest ?

Thank you.

• 4 months later...
On 8/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

The embassy in Vientiane and the consulate in Savannakhet do not ask for financial proof.

You will have no problem getting a single entry non-o based upon being the parent of a Thai.

You will need their birth certificate plus a copy and a copy of their there registry in a tambien ban.

No need for photos other than the 2 that are needed for the visa application form and one for the Lao visa on arrival.

So when you get back in to Thailand you will get 90 days at first or ? And then what do you do ?

2 minutes ago, BigCChiangMai said:

So when you get back in to Thailand you will get 90 days at first or ? And then what do you do ?

You would get a 90 day entry.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay if you are the legal father of your child and can meet the financial requirements of 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. 

Or you could get a 60 day extension to visit your child.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 4:45 PM, ubonjoe said:

You would get a 90 day entry.

You could apply for a one year extension of stay if you are the legal father of your child and can meet the financial requirements of 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k baht income. 

Or you could get a 60 day extension to visit your child.

@ubonjoe So I just learned that being mentioned on my child's birth certificate is not enough to get a Non O in Savannakhet, I also need to go through the Thai justice system to be approved as the legal father, and bring that document. 
Are you able to confirm this ?  Thanks in advance !

Screenshot_20190107-165005_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

Screenshot_20190107-164959_Samsung Experience Home.jpg

2 hours ago, BigCChiangMai said:

@ubonjoe So I just learned that being mentioned on my child's birth certificate is not enough to get a Non O in Savannakhet, I also need to go through the Thai justice system to be approved as the legal father, and bring that document. 
Are you able to confirm this ?  Thanks in advance !

You cannot get a multiple entry non-o Savannakhet based upon being the parent of a Thai. You can get a single entry non-o there or in Vientiane without having your parthood legitimized.

You can get a multiple entry non-o visa in Penang if you can show 400k baht in the bank.

You also need it to apply for a one year extension based upon being the parent of a Thai at immigration.

Info for getting your parenthood legalized is here.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2018 at 8:58 AM, ubonjoe said:

Do you need to bring the original birth certificate ? 

On 3/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes

That is what I meant by birth certificate plus a copy.

Thank you.   I do have a bit of a complicated question, but I promise that will be the my last one, and then I won´t take any more of your valuable time.

Is a Non O a Non O or are they different. Meaning:  Could I apply and receive a Non O based on having a child in for example Savannakhet, BUT then when I am back in Thailand apply for a 1 year extension of that Non O at an immigration office based on the RETIREMENT rules ?  Or is the immigration able to see that the Non O from the consulate is based upon having a child ?

Thank you in advance, you are properly the most valuable member for all expats. Have you considered accepting donations ? Maybe in the form of crypto currencies.

Edited by BigCChiangMai
Spelling error

54 minutes ago, BigCChiangMai said:

Is a Non O a Non O or are they different. Meaning:  Could I apply and receive a Non O based on having a child in for example Savannakhet, BUT then when I am back in Thailand apply for a 1 year extension of that Non O at an immigration office based on the RETIREMENT rules ?  Or is the immigration able to see that the Non O from the consulate is based upon having a child ?

You could get a single entry non-o visa based upon being the parent of a Thai and the apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement. Embassies and consulates normally do not put any note on visas about the reason the were issued for.

Even if they did only the most pedant of immigration offices would refuse to accept the extension application since all that is needed is a non immigrant visa.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, BigCChiangMai said:

Could I apply and receive a Non O based on having a child in for example Savannakhet, BUT then when I am back in Thailand apply for a 1 year extension of that Non O at an immigration office based on the RETIREMENT rules ? 

Yes.  They could likely tell why you had the Non-O VISA, but as long as you are on a Non-Imm type entry, you can apply for a Non-Imm type extension.  Sometimes some offices balk when the change is from completely different Non-Imm types (ED or B to O).  But, as your case both are Non-O types, you should be fine.

Many have gone from Marriage-based to Retirement-based w/o issue.  Immigration offices prefer Retirement type extensions, because they are less work.  Going the other direction (Retirement to Marriage) is also possible, but tends to encounter more resistance (to avoid doing more work). 

• Like 1