Ho Chi Minh City vs Kuala Lumpur vs something else

Requiem

Hi folks,

I will have 2 weeks to stay somewhere outside Thailand in the end of January.

I'd like to stay at an AirBnB somewhere not too expensive, so Singapore and Hong Kong is out of the question.

My main choice is between KL and HCM. Been to KL for 3 days already, never been to HCM yet. Been to Danang, so it's out of the question. Hanoi is too cold in January.

Been to Taipei as well.

Which place you think is better for 2 weeks in terms of food, price, entertainment/nightlife, logistics, things to see/do? I'll be working during day time and off in the evening. Or maybe you have another place to recommend?

Appreciate all the tips,

Req

2 hours ago, hobobo said:

Definitely get bored in Vung Tau!

Well, I guess it depends on what you want. The OP wanted some nightlife, but it also has a beach and a nice hilltop statue of Christ the King or alternatively a statue of a seated Buddha complete with temple too.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, I guess it depends on what you want. The OP wanted some nightlife, but it also has a beach and a nice hilltop statue of Christ the King or alternatively a statue of a seated Buddha complete with temple too.

Nightlife in Vung Tau? I had better in Khon Kaen!

• Haha 2

some good restaurants on the sea front in Vung Tau in 2006...one french dude had a wood fired pizza oven and respectable pasta...

back in HCMC at the then premier italian restaurant in HCMC with a companion that I had acquired in Vung Tau: 'the cannelloni is better in Vung Tau...' she had excellent english and later my marriage was ruined...

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the best plan. Spend a few days in HCMC, then Vung Tau and back to HCMC. Great bars and restaurants and fantastic craft beers everywhere in HCMC -- something like 15 brew pubs in the last 4-5 years. Good restos on every street in D1.

Take the boat to VT (in front of Majestic Hotel) for 250,000 VND depending on day and spend 2-3 nights. Or take a VIP minibus straight to your VT hotel. HCMC hotel can arrange. 160,000 VND

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Probably the best plan. Spend a few days in HCMC, then Vung Tau and back to HCMC. Great bars and restaurants and fantastic craft beers everywhere in HCMC -- something like 15 brew pubs in the last 4-5 years. Good restos on every street in D1.

Take the boat to VT (in front of Majestic Hotel) for 250,000 VND depending on day and spend 2-3 nights. Or take a VIP minibus straight to your VT hotel. HCMC hotel can arrange. 160,000 VND

I lived on Mac Dinh Chi St off of Le Duan in HCMC D1 back in 2006 and there were a couple of brew pubs there back then...good food; sausages, sauerkraut and mash...also Japanese and Korean on the same block and a row of pho places that did a brisk trade in the am...ladies with hand carts selling banh mi sandwiches out front...buy  a couple to take to work, etc...

further on a block or so across Le Duan there was a lovely outdoor place (sheltered from the rain) that did live sea fish and prawns by the kilo (in big tanks for inspection) prepared anyway you like...very nice and everything ridiculously cheap, feed 4 adults incl beers for about USD30...

• Like 2

Thought of Penang?

Or Bali?

HCMC is good for 2 weeks if you just want to chill out.

Never ever go to Penang during Chinese New Years

More than half the restaurants and businesses are closed and the every place that is open is packed with Chinese and other Asian tourists. Unless of course you like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, expat1010 said:

Never ever go to Penang during Chinese New Years

More than half the restaurants and businesses are closed and the every place that is open is packed with Chinese and other Asian tourists. Unless of course you like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

in Hanoi during the TET holiday in February they roll up the sidewalks as everyone goes home for the holiday and it can be unpleasantly cold that time of year...I was workin' down in Ha Tinh province and didn't have any warm clothing and went to Hanoi to find all the shops shut, checked into the Melia hotel (4 star, wonderful accommodation and breakfast around the corner from the 'Hanoi Hilton' gaol) to thaw out in bed for 2 days...shops shut and  no clothes to buy so I settled for some bathrobes bought from the hotel...

the tourist places in the Old Town were still active, however...a very nice breakfast at the Melia;  lovely bread, they musta had an in - house bakery...

(later, back at the accommodation in Ha Tinh: 'here, have a bathrobe but remove yer clothes first so that we can share our body heat and conserve the resource...come along now'  and the young vietnamese housekeepers are amused 'you are an indecent but delightful old fellow, Mr tutsi...')

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Think that Hanoi is the future of night entertainment in big city Vietnam. However, a lot of smaller cities already have great night time entertainment. From the internet, it looks like the sex trade may have broken out all over the country. Beautiful girls everywhere. Nov. and Dec. Air Asia has B1000 flights from Bangkok. Economically, Vietnam is on the move with a GDP of 7.38. Good business opportunities. Still below other Asian countries.