IELTS life skills A1 - fail

I wanted to connect with any members who have had difficulty getting their Wive's through this exam. My Wife just failed her test and in my mind her basic English is more than adequate (she speaks it as well as most of the kid's coming out of school these days!).

The problem is there is no way to review what parts she did well on or not, you don't get to see the questions or her answers which make it difficult going forward.

When we were waiting to take the test there were a lot of women on multiple fails, one on 4 fails after spending a lot of time in the UK and attending a lot of English classes.

With no way to review the test it does leave it open to abuse by the companies running the exam, they must be making a lot of money and there will no doubt be more money generated by more fails (cynic or realist, you decide!)

I can understand the frustration. My wife has struggled with English test in the past and failed a couple of them. I too thought her level was good enough to pass. However, when I went into in more detail it was clearly a case of nerves. The only advice I can give is for her to watch the you tube videos of the test. Also for you to watch them and test her in the same format.  It worked for us. I'm not a fan of the ILETS by the way. Good luck hope she passes soon. 

1 minute ago, magicroundabout said:

I can understand the frustration. My wife has struggled with English test in the past and failed a couple of them. I too thought her level was good enough to pass. However, when I went into in more detail it was clearly a case of nerves. The only advice I can give is for her to watch the you tube videos of the test. Also for you to watch them and test her in the same format.  It worked for us. I'm not a fan of the ILETS by the way. Good luck hope she passes soon. 

Thank's for the reply.

I stayed in Thailand for 3 weeks prior to the test and we practiced every day using youtube. Something that annoyed me was she was required to take a reading section first which is not even part of the test. When she was asked a question she didn't understand I taught her to ask "can you please rephrase the question, I don't understand" to which she was told 'no', which is odd because that is just the sort of language skills you would think are needed and the point of the test.

We had a long chat today and think we might go down the route of getting a visitor visa and sitting the test in the UK, at least then she will have an opportunity to practice with me prior to the test. Back on the farm in Bo Thong she has little access to schools or even any English speakers and trips to and from Bangkok to sit the test are costly and difficult for her alone. Even access to the internet is difficult.

The only question is, can she use a visit visa to sit IELTS A1 in the UK or is that considered education which is not allowed on a visit visa.

Hi if you are doing in the UK you can sit the trinity college a1. Personally, I think its easier than Ielts. The test is only about 10mins long and is only listening and speaking. As far as I'm aware it doesn't cause an issue sitting it on a tourist visa. Go to trinity college website and you will mock test videos. 

2 minutes ago, magicroundabout said:

Hi if you are doing in the UK you can sit the trinity college a1. Personally, I think its easier than Ielts. The test is only about 10mins long and is only listening and speaking. As far as I'm aware it doesn't cause an issue sitting it on a tourist visa. Go to trinity college website and you will mock test videos. 

Yes Rasg said the same about the trinity college test and I see they have a provider in Cardiff which is easy for me, it may well be the way to go.

The only question is, can she use a visit visa to sit IELTS A1 in the UK or is that considered education which is not allowed on a visit visa.
Yes she can, my wife took hers when we were visiting London, she was in and out in less than ten minutes with her pass.

No need to muddy the waters by including the fact in her application as that won’t be the sole purpose of the visit.

As a matter of interest it’s SELT in the UK and there’s no reading element, it still provides the A1 level that’s required.

29 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Yes she can, my wife took hers when we were visiting London, she was in and out in less than ten minutes with her pass.

No need to muddy the waters by including the fact in her application as that won’t be the sole purpose of the visit.

As a matter of interest it’s SELT in the UK and there’s no reading element, it still provides the A1 level that’s required.

I didn't think there was a written element to the IELTS "Life skills" test....... I thought this was just conversational English with a matched applicant..... have I got my wires crossed.

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi/prepare-ielts-life-skills

6 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I didn't think there was a written element to the IELTS "Life skills" test....... I thought this was just conversational English with a matched applicant..... have I got my wires crossed.

https://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi/prepare-ielts-life-skills

There is no written or reading element in the IELTS, but my wife and the lady who sat the test with her were both made to do a reading element first. This part is still confusing me and I have emailed them for an explanation.

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

This is where I go wrong on visit visas, I would always consider the fact we are going for settlement and that she wishes to sit her English test in the UK as strengthening the application, but I'm better just to put 'holiday with my BF'?

22 hours ago, darren1971 said:

If this is an example of a candidate that passed (Ceren) I am feeling robbed!

I have watched many of the tests on the Trinity feed on YouTube and I was surprised that a few of them did pass myself.

Having said that you were not in the room with her. If she was nervous and also interacted badly with the other candidate, let’s just say she may not have performed as well as you know she can.

A1 is a six minute test if I remember correctly . I've said it before but I think it's much easier in the UK.

14 minutes ago, rasg said:

I have watched many of the tests on the Trinity feed on YouTube and I was surprised that a few of them did pass myself.

Having said that you were not in the room with her. If she was nervous and also interacted badly with the other candidate, let’s just say she may not have performed as well as you know she can.

A1 is a six minute test if I remember correctly . I've said it before but I think it's much easier in the UK.

I agree it look's easier and I think more fit for purpose. So back to the visit visa we go. Have been advised to not mention that we are going for settlement and we want her to sit the SELTS exam in the UK which seem's totally irrational to me, but I'm well past expecting anything rational from this process.

I think you should mention that ultimately you will be going for settlement. I wouldn't mention the english test though. I don't think either matter that much. A visit visa allows you to study for up to 30 days.

There is no Reading or Writing element for IELTS Life Skills A1 or B1. The required level of English grammar and pronunciation is minimal, however many candidates freeze and don't speak. Interaction (polite turn-taking and eye contact with both the examiner and other candidate) is part if the assessment criteria.

The OP is welcome to PM me if he wants more information.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

22 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no Reading or Writing element for IELTS Life Skills A1 or B1. The required level of English grammar and pronunciation is minimal, however many candidates freeze and don't speak. Interaction (polite turn-taking and eye contact with both the examiner and other candidate) is part if the assessment criteria.

The OP is welcome to PM me if he wants more information.

So I got an email back from IDP regarding the first part of the test. What amazes me is they do not let you know about this process prior to the exam. So if you're prepping for the exam you are hit straight off with something unusual and unexpected.

The purpose of the test is to show that the applicant can converse and understand basic English. I know my partner can do this because for the last two years it is exactly what we have been doing. 

We will try and obtain another visit visa and take the SELTS test because I have some concerns over the format and scoring of the IELTS version (which wasn't designed for the purpose but cut and pasted to fit the new visa rules).

Here is the email, if your partner is preparing for the test it is just something you can inform them about so there's no surprises

Hi Darren,

From what you have written, I think you have misunderstood this entirely. Your wife and other candidates were asked in to the voice sample room one by one actually and inside the room the record was made in mp3 and it has been recorded via GoPro camera. This is to keep voice sample of each candidate really. It was not a test.

What we asked each candidate to do inside that room (this is not a test yet) was just to read out loud what his/her name is and where he/she comes from and today came to take IELTS test at IDP Thailand. We have a script (same script) for every candidate all the same. This the candidate will say it 5 times with the same sentence or within 2 minutes. We even have it written in Thai just in case the candidate cannot read English.

Just to confirm with you that that was not even the test yet. The test was after that. The test was when the 2 candidates were in the room with an examiner. Those two candidates were asked to talk to each other. Please ask your wife again.

However, if you still have some doubt and do not understand what is really happened. I am happy to explain to you via phone. My contact number is below. Thank you.

Regards,

Ruttikarn Saengkaew

TCA

IELTS, IDP Thailand

Tel: +66 2 638 3111 ext. 114

So I got an email back from IDP regarding the first part of the test. What amazes me is they do not let you know about this process prior to the exam. So if you're prepping for the exam you are hit straight off with something unusual and unexpected.
The purpose of the test is to show that the applicant can converse and understand basic English. I know my partner can do this because for the last two years it is exactly what we have been doing. 
We will try and obtain another visit visa and take the SELTS test because I have some concerns over the format and scoring of the IELTS version (which wasn't designed for the purpose but cut and pasted to fit the new visa rules).

Here is the email, if your partner is preparing for the test it is just something you can inform them about so there's no surprises

Hi Darren,

From what you have written, I think you have misunderstood this entirely. Your wife and other candidates were asked in to the voice sample room one by one actually and inside the room the record was made in mp3 and it has been recorded via GoPro camera. This is to keep voice sample of each candidate really. It was not a test.

What we asked each candidate to do inside that room (this is not a test yet) was just to read out loud what his/her name is and where he/she comes from and today came to take IELTS test at IDP Thailand. We have a script (same script) for every candidate all the same. This the candidate will say it 5 times with the same sentence or within 2 minutes. We even have it written in Thai just in case the candidate cannot read English.

Just to confirm with you that that was not even the test yet. The test was after that. The test was when the 2 candidates were in the room with an examiner. Those two candidates were asked to talk to each other. Please ask your wife again.

However, if you still have some doubt and do not understand what is really happened. I am happy to explain to you via phone. My contact number is below. Thank you.

Regards,
Ruttikarn Saengkaew
TCA
IELTS, IDP Thailand
Tel: +66 2 638 3111 ext. 114
As Ruttikarn says, the first part is just security procedures, nothing to do with the result of the test. The examiner plays no part in this. One of the reasons IELTS won the UKVI contract for outside the UK testing is due to their security procedures as other test providers had failed in this respect. IELTS have lengthy experience in running Academic/General Training tests, as well as Life Skills.

Check out the official sample tests on the IELTS website. Be careful of unofficial sites and YouTube as they are not always accurate.

If your wife decides to do it again, PM me; I may be able to help.

5 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

As Ruttikarn says, the first part is just security procedures, nothing to do with the result of the test. The examiner plays no part in this. One of the reasons IELTS won the UKVI contract for outside the UK testing is due to their security procedures as other test providers had failed in this respect. IELTS have lengthy experience in running Academic/General Training tests, as well as Life Skills.

Check out the official sample tests on the IELTS website. Be careful of unofficial sites and YouTube as they are not always accurate.

If your wife decides to do it again, PM me; I may be able to help.

Yes we practiced the sample tests, the problem with the test is pairing with another candidate. They say they select a suitable candidate of similar abilities but I was with Ket in the waiting room, there were only two candidates and Ket was paired with a lady who had failed 4 times. During the test the other candidate was just repeating to Ket exactly what she had said. There is also no appeals process or a chance to review the scoring unlike SELTS. 

I'm not impressed with IELTS or how it is managed by IDP, with something as important as settlement I think we are better to try SELTS.

15 hours ago, darren1971 said:

Yes we practiced the sample tests, the problem with the test is pairing with another candidate. They say they select a suitable candidate of similar abilities but I was with Ket in the waiting room, there were only two candidates and Ket was paired with a lady who had failed 4 times. During the test the other candidate was just repeating to Ket exactly what she had said. There is also no appeals process or a chance to review the scoring unlike SELTS. 

I'm not impressed with IELTS or how it is managed by IDP, with something as important as settlement I think we are better to try SELTS.

I'm not sure who "they" are, but I can assure you candidates are not assessed prior to the test, so it often happens that there are mixed abilities.  The examiners know how to deal with this as it's a key part of the training, and each candidate is assessed separately.  What the other candidate says, or does not say, during the test has no impact on the other candidate's score.  The entire test is videoed and recorded, so it is reviewable, at a cost, although it's probably cheaper to take it again.  Tests are usually monitored to check the examiner is following the correct procedures and scoring accurately.

If you're not happy with IDP, you can take the test with the British Council, although everything is likely to be the same as IELTS/UKVI insist on uniformity.  

As I've offered before, PM me and I may be able to help you.

7 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm not sure who "they" are, but I can assure you candidates are not assessed prior to the test, so it often happens that there are mixed abilities.  The examiners know how to deal with this as it's a key part of the training, and each candidate is assessed separately.  What the other candidate says, or does not say, during the test has no impact on the other candidate's score.  The entire test is videoed and recorded, so it is reviewable, at a cost, although it's probably cheaper to take it again.  Tests are usually monitored to check the examiner is following the correct procedures and scoring accurately.

If you're not happy with IDP, you can take the test with the British Council, although everything is likely to be the same as IELTS/UKVI insist on uniformity.  

As I've offered before, PM me and I may be able to help you.

You need to see it from the candidates point of view. Imagine you are sitting a Thai language exam and your Thai is not great. It is hardly going to help if you have to have a conversation with someone who doesn't understand the questions or your answers. The whole format of the IELTS exam is wrong and that is why we would like to sit SELTS in the UK. I have seen exactly the same complaint from other members where their wife was paired with someone of lower abilities.

You need to see it from the candidates point of view. Imagine you are sitting a Thai language exam and your Thai is not great. It is hardly going to help if you have to have a conversation with someone who doesn't understand the questions or your answers. The whole format of the IELTS exam is wrong and that is why we would like to sit SELTS in the UK. I have seen exactly the same complaint from other members where their wife was paired with someone of lower abilities.
Fair enough. The whole point is to test candidates' ability to communicate with other people. It's one of the reasons IELTS was awarded the contract by UKVI. The test was used previously by the Cambridge Examination board on the UK, when it was called Skills for Life. Cambridge part own IELTS, so not much revising was required, except in the assessment criteria.

Many candidates pass easily every week as it only requires minimal English, but does require some self-confidence in Speaking, which admittedly some Thais lack in test situations.

The Trinity test which can be taken in the UK is a single candidate and is shorter, so if she is in the UK on a visit visa it may be easier for her. Good luck!

On 8/12/2018 at 9:55 AM, darren1971 said:

In almost four years I have seen three or four people complain including you in total on here. The system has worked well in Thailand for a while but it is wrong because Ket didn't pass. You've said pretty much the same about every aspect of the visa system because it doesn’t suit you or Ket. It's really irritating. 

Many people all over the world get nervous for exams. My wife was very nervous when she did A1 but she got through it and passed. She has B1 coming up (she is skipping A2) and she will probably be nervous for that. She will have lots of revision to do and that is key imho.

If Ket gets another visa and does it here she will probably be just as nervous. IMHO the A1 is easier here than in Thailand. It doesn’t mean it is as it is only my opinion.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:52 AM, rasg said:

In almost four years I have seen three or four people complain including you in total on here. The system has worked well in Thailand for a while but it is wrong because Ket didn't pass. You've said pretty much the same about every aspect of the visa system because it doesn’t suit you or Ket. It's really irritating. 

Many people all over the world get nervous for exams. My wife was very nervous when she did A1 but she got through it and passed. She has B1 coming up (she is skipping A2) and she will probably be nervous for that. She will have lots of revision to do and that is key imho.

If Ket gets another visa and does it here she will probably be just as nervous. IMHO the A1 is easier here than in Thailand. It doesn’t mean it is as it is only my opinion.

Was it not you that started a thread with a lengthy letter of complaint to your MP about problems with the visa system, encouraging others to complain too. 

The inverse of your argument is your wife found the whole system easy and therefore there is no problem with it.

Have you considered the applicants and their opinions or are those all invalid too.

The fact you have only seen 4 complaints is just confirmation bias, I have never seen a black swan but it doesn't mean they don't exist.

On 8/12/2018 at 11:59 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Fair enough. The whole point is to test candidates' ability to communicate with other people. It's one of the reasons IELTS was awarded the contract by UKVI. The test was used previously by the Cambridge Examination board on the UK, when it was called Skills for Life. Cambridge part own IELTS, so not much revising was required, except in the assessment criteria.

Many candidates pass easily every week as it only requires minimal English, but does require some self-confidence in Speaking, which admittedly some Thais lack in test situations.

The Trinity test which can be taken in the UK is a single candidate and is shorter, so if she is in the UK on a visit visa it may be easier for her. Good luck!

It would be interesting to see the statistics on pass rates, but I can not find any. My partner is in a Thai facebook group and the real problem is for Thais with a low level of education. It's very hard for the many with multiple fails to improve because of how the test results are reported.

It would be interesting to see the statistics on pass rates, but I can not find any. My partner is in a Thai facebook group and the real problem is for Thais with a low level of education. It's very hard for the many with multiple fails to improve because of how the test results are reported.
A little coaching from someone who knows how the test works goes a long way!

9 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A little coaching from someone who knows how the test works goes a long way!

I think so. We will try for another visit visa and if that fails, depending on the refusal notice, I will go back to Bangkok and try to get Ket to retake the IELTS with some coaching.

We have found an excellent Thai facebook page for Thai people applying for UK settlement visas and just being able to discuss the process with other Thai's is helping my partner a lot.

6 hours ago, darren1971 said:

I think so. We will try for another visit visa and if that fails, depending on the refusal notice, I will go back to Bangkok and try to get Ket to retake the IELTS with some coaching.

We have found an excellent Thai facebook page for Thai people applying for UK settlement visas and just being able to discuss the process with other Thai's is helping my partner a lot.

There is no reason why you need to go to Bangokok to teach her. Skype is almost as good and many, many foreign language teachers, teach via Skype.

There is no reason why you need to go to Bangokok to teach her. Skype is almost as good and many, many foreign language teachers, teach via Skype.

I would wager her level of English is already good enough to pass A1. What she could probably do with is coaching for the test and familiarity with the types of questions, procedures and Listening contexts.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

...why you should not accept bad systems. Even after they admitted their failure and mistakes they made them wait 2 months to issue the visa, disgusting behaviour.

"Smith is one of about 1,000 members on the Reuniting Families Facebook page who can testify to the problems tens of thousands of British nationals are experiencing when trying to bring their non-EU spouses and dependants into the UK."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/18/visa-britons-foreign-spouses-families-split-hostile-environment?CMP=fb_gu

On 8/16/2018 at 6:19 PM, rasg said:

Very poor signal at her home and no wifi, skype is not a possibility. We can just about manage short video calls if she walks up to the main road but even then it's patchy.

...why you should not accept bad systems. Even after they admitted their failure and mistakes they made them wait 2 months to issue the visa, disgusting behaviour.

"Smith is one of about 1,000 members on the Reuniting Families Facebook page who can testify to the problems tens of thousands of British nationals are experiencing when trying to bring their non-EU spouses and dependants into the UK."

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/aug/18/visa-britons-foreign-spouses-families-split-hostile-environment?CMP=fb_gu
A truly depressing article. The "hostile environment" created by both Labour and doubled down on by the Tories has a lot to answer for. Unfortunately it's unlikely to change any time soon.

Archived