BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

puukao

555555... Now all my kids must sound like a farang??!!

Presumably there are a few teachers and/or linguists on this sub-forum.

Developing real conversational skills in an EFL context without any exposure outside of the classroom (as in Thailand or Japan for example) is almost impossible; I've already alluded to some of the reasons above.

But here's the thing, every Prathom student I've ever met can read English to some degree, same for 90% of adult students.

Putting the boot on the other foot, I wonder how many foreign teachers here can read any Thai at all, or have the slightest knowledge of Thai grammar; and most will have just a smattering of spoken Thai at best... despite the fact that they are surrounded by the Thai language every day.

When I taught English I always attempted to add pronunciation into the training, but that never meant trying to teach a foreign accent which is silly.  If your student's speech is clear and understandable then you've done a great job.

Leave it to an administrator to demand totally unrealistic goals. 

4 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

Thai Teachers of English and their students are not stupid and are not to blame! Students grow up making all the same mistakes as their Teachers. Why? Because the Teachers were taught wrongly and badly themselves. It's about time Thai Teachers of English were taught by English native Speakers and who understand what English speakers actually say in real life. Most text books (including nearly all dictionaries) of Thai to English are created by Thais and quite frankly, should never see the bookshelves!

And nothing has changed in the fifteen years I have been here! No shout out from me for the Education Service.

Among the plethora of mistakes most Thai people make is pronouncing "rice" as Lice". As an Englishman, I cant' think of anything more revolting than being invited to eat my lovely Thai curry with "lice"

And talking of rice, the Thai expression indicating I will eat: "gin kaow" should not be translated into English as I will "eat rice". It should be interpreted as, I "will eat".

Hit the nail on the head here. The only thing I would add to this is that it's pretty much impossible for students to improve theur English skills in a government school. 1 class per week for around 35 weeks per year is nowhere near enough. Especially as after they have left class they will never speak English again until the following week.

20 hours ago, 55Jay said:

You should have asked them what PART of America they wanted you to sound like, specifically.  Or England for that matter.  Then enjoy the dumb looks on their faces. 

Glad you are glad about leaving.  Good luck. 

Pennsylvanian Dutch would cure the superiors. ?

Such nonsense.  Personally, I ADORE the way Thai speak.  There is no need to tear them away from their heritage.  This reminds me of brainwashing Native American children to cleanse them of their history and culture.  Perhaps the "director" should be encouraged to return to their own country and stop mucking about with something that is already perfect.

10 hours ago, billmichael said:

Perhaps the "director" should be encouraged to return to their own country

Did you even read the opening post? 

It's sad to hear this.   But if they are so cheap to only budget 18 k fir a English teacher I don't see much hope.   Who would take a job for 18 k?

I've been in Thailand a few years, took about four classes in Thai and can read much better than most.  I get lazy and forget some tones, and my Thai is maybe, maybe "Advanced Beginner" but I mainly enjoy saying some local dialects for the laughs.  One thing I don't have is the accent to sound Thai, as if someone will think I was born in this country.  I had a parent close her eyes and listen to two Thais and me, and we just laughed.  In fact, I'm PROUD of where I'm from and I don't want to change my accent.  I don't want these kids to try to speak differently than their parents, that just sounds crazy to me.  I'm not sure what my identity was when I was six, but I'm sure it wasn't trying to speak differently than my parents.  or my friends, for that matter....

It's funny, a few months ago it was all about getting more kids and their money.  we maxed out the class size.  now, after three months, the parents are finally realizing that the school promised some crazy things......lol.......and yesterday they told me to do some "marketing."   I told them to kick out half the class who can't write A to Z in a timely manner they never should have  been put in this "advanced" class.  Of course that's not going to happen.

It's a small class, and some kids have severe learning disabilities.  OK, no problem, they are safe and the parents are paying for this safety.  But let's remember I can't solve a kid who has tendencies to do some outburst, crying, and must sometimes run in the back of the room.  every kid seems pretty happy......

My grad students are fluent in English by age 23 or so. But we talk too fast for them to hold a conversation. They watch English movies with English subtitles. (Try it! You'll like it, too!)

Bottom line: It's really hard to learn any language. If our kids get discouraged, they won't pick it up again.

Success story: 20-year old Thai daughter is entering third year university in Canada. While I am quite amazed at how incomplete her English is, it's way better than most native speakers.

My Scottish-born and educated sister, replete with teaching certificates, a couple of degree's and a Master's in English Literature was denied a teaching job in Hawaii because she "didn't sound English".

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

My Scottish-born and educated sister, replete with teaching certificates, a couple of degree's and a Master's in English Literature was denied a teaching job in Hawaii because she "didn't sound English".

Well laddy, Scots have been telling those folks living to the south that we're really not English nor do we want to be.  <laugh>

I did a short review of my changing accent recently as I wanted to explore this topic from personal experience. Well the review turned out to be quite long.

Celtic>south east English>hiso RP English>hippy>modern cockney>clipped corporate>mid-Atlantic drawl>perfect ?

oh, I forgot a good dose of the south London Brixton twang, but I've since grown out of that.

On 8/8/2018 at 9:43 AM, puukao said:

It's funny, a few months ago it was all about getting more kids and their money.  we maxed out the class size.  now, after three months, the parents are finally realizing that the school promised some crazy things......lol.......and yesterday they told me to do some "marketing."   I told them to kick out half the class who can't write A to Z in a timely manner they never should have  been put in this "advanced" class.  Of course that's not going to happen.

It's a small class,

Make your mind up.

First off, they are your students, not your kids, although I can appreciate your dedication.  Your title made it confusing; I thought this was a father bemoaning his own children not having a 100% foreign accent. 

As for experience in this matter, I have come across parents of students who want their children to develop a 100% foreign accent. (American, British, etc).  I find this mostly with the Chinese parents. It's a very unrealistic expectation.  Just my 2 cents.