BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

puukao

555555... Now all my kids must sound like a farang??!!

some nice responses, thanks.

exactly why i started this thread....

most of us agree.....it's about the school getting paid, we all learn differently, an accent is ridiculous to ask for after one hour, and there is still hope that in a few years these kids will stay motivated to learn.

On 8/9/2018 at 3:09 PM, Neeranam said:

Can I ask you if you are fluent in Thai, with no accent after 15 years working here? I think telling us how to translate "gin khao" is rather insulting.

In 24 years of teaching here, I've met many teachers who don't even know what date it is in Thai, yet criticize the Thai English teachers for their lack of English skills, or their students.

How can a student respect a teacher that can't learn the language of the country he is staying in, especially if they've a Thai wife.

Translation is NOT the correct word to use. In the case of "gin kao" translating it into English as "eat rice" is not what English speakers actually say. They say "eat". Interpretation is the correct way of making sense of one language into another.

I am not fluent in Thai but that is irrelevant. I am fluent in English and I know in English we use the word "eat" not "eat rice" (which actually means eat anything), as the Thais do!

Maybe you should understand that translation takes no account of differences in culture - interpretation does.

Well, reading this thread, I am extremely happy my 2 daughters go to primary school in Melbourne. Can't imagine sending them into the mess that is the education system here. At least their cousin spent a few weeks with them during our holiday here, she's 8 and she's learnt more English in these 3 weeks than in all her schooling.

On 8/12/2018 at 1:37 PM, ChrisKC said:

Maybe you should understand that translation takes no account of differences in culture - interpretation does

Not true, I'm the member of groups for translators and I'm sure we all agree that translation is an art, and takes differences of culture into account, always.