Any good lawyer for extending retirement visa?

John7272

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Somnambulist said:

But thanks for your stunning insights about enforcement and affidavits and Thai officials reading this site.  You must be a top expert on Thailand.  

I wonder sometimes why, instead of grumbling about the US Embassy Bangkok policies and Thai IMM policies, they don't just go to the UK Embassy in Bangkok and grumble about THEIR policies.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:29 PM, JLCrab said:

I see so it is much better to use the 800K baht tied up in a Thai bank account method than to use the 65K per month via sworn affidavit method because with the 800k baht in the bank method you can save $43.75 each year on the income affidavit. OK.

As has been noted on other threads, it is possible to use a combination of baht on deposit, and an income affidavit.

Called a statutory declaration by us Australians.

Yes, the 800K in a Thai bank account is going to earn diddly squat as interest. My  beef with the $77 ( AUD ) we pay for a stat dec is this: it's for doing SFA. One presents the stat dec already filled out. The Consulate official applies a stamp, and scrawls a signature. Takes all of 30 seconds. Parasites.

Consulates and Embassies are run along the lines of a business rather than the support service they should be and therefore need to show a profit. If they provide a decent service for a fair price all well and good but their eyes are on finances and you/me/us a distant second.

Just an opinion based on years of paying extortionate fees.

On 8/10/2018 at 7:43 AM, jimmyyy said:

I always have backup to my pension letters with me when i go to Embassy and the immigration office.  Never been asked never will

Wow! Don't be so sure about that! IN FACT, about 3 years ago for a short period of time, there was a Consul there who DID ask where the source of income came from. He is no longer there.

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/794177-consulate-beginning-to-ask-for-verification-of-income/

On 8/7/2018 at 2:15 PM, Somnambulist said:

Get a visa agent, but be aware that starting next month the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai will start requiring ACTUAL proof of income before they'll notarize your income affidavit.  

But for the rest of August they will require no actual proof. 

First of all, a lawyer is not needed. It is a simple process as of now. And second, I would not be surprised if they start to require proof of income. I am surprised this system has gone on for his long. I know alot of guys who do not have the income to support what they are claiming. The embassy must know that is the case. They are getting more and more intrusive and this is to be expected, in my opinion. It is about control. 

From US Embassy Bangkok website:

"We often get requests to certify true copies of educational transcripts or diplomas, bank statements, court documents, or other such official records. Unfortunately, our offices cannot ordinarily provide certified true copies of documents. Such requests should usually be addressed to the office which issued the document in question. For example, certified true copies of academic records should be requested from the registrar of the institution that originally issued them."

Don't expect that to change any time soon. Worldwide State Department policy not specific to Thailand.

On 8/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, jimmyyy said:

Sarahkham

Then why the heck are you so hot and bothered about my post about the Chiang Mai Immigration office? Dude, you don't even live here.  Oh, I know, you think all changes in practice at Chiang Mai Immigration are national changes.  That must be your logic.  You must be new.  

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all, a lawyer is not needed. It is a simple process as of now. And second, I would not be surprised if they start to require proof of income. I am surprised this system has gone on for his long. I know alot of guys who do not have the income to support what they are claiming. The embassy must know that is the case. They are getting more and more intrusive and this is to be expected, in my opinion. It is about control. 

Yeah, we're on the same page about control.  I never mentioned a lawyer, though.  

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:20 AM, Somnambulist said:

You must be a top expert on Thailand. 

NO!

I am leaving that spot to you as you seem to have already claimed it.

PS;  I see that you don't ever let the truth of a statement which is at variance from yours hinder your own judgment.

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

FWIW, I got my income affidavit from the U.S. Embassy in BKK today, and the process was exactly the same as it has been now for years. Nothing extra asked or demanded.

Thanks, Mr. Excitement.

Thanks, Mr. Excitement.

And this from someone intimidated by an extremely simple FBAR; and paranoid about an IRS audit, where the overall chance of being audited is .86% -- and this is inclusive of the 7-figure filers. For 5-figure paranoids, the chance slips to less than .2% -- unless you omit or misrepresent W2 or 1099 figures. In which case, Ms Robot will send you a form letter asking to correct matters. As far as having a human look at your tax return, the Tea Party crowd stopped financing such intrusions for all but the overt flagged crowd.

Proof of income? Looks like this will now fall to certain Immigration offices, the following from the Chiang Mai forum:

...took all my documents to the visa agent upstairs at the Prom. They did ask for documentation to back up the income verification letter. Said the "new" boss requires it.? Provided them copies of of each of my retirement income statements. I also had copies of three months of bank statements showing the deposits into my account, but they said the other documents were enough.

Don't know if this is now for all foreigners, or just for the former colonies of America and Oz, whose governments are more judicious of their citizens than their former Mother Country is of hers ---

---but nothing about certified proof of income -- just a speed bump for those too incompetent to fill out a bogus last year's 1040 income tax form. But, hey, from some of the unwashed I've seen at the US Consulate, maybe a speed bump too long in coming....

19 hours ago, JimGant said:

And this from someone intimidated by an extremely simple FBAR; and paranoid about an IRS audit, where the overall chance of being audited is .86%

Well as someone who was audited by the IRS in 2008, am I paranoid about being audited again? You Betcha. And if my bank accounts in Thailand are such that I don't have to fill out an FBAR form, then I'm not going to file one.

Archived