"We are not coming back" : Tourists give the thumbs down to Khao San Road changes

webfact

On 12/16/2018 at 5:46 AM, Odysseus123 said:

However,as the Thai seem to hate the Chinese,Indians,backpackers,pensioners,English teachers and cheap charlies-as do a lot of the posters here-I would say that the tourists themselves have picked up on the vibe and are going elsewhere.

As for the poster who remarked that "what is lost can be re-instated"  I would be tempted to observe that what works for Tralfamadore does not necessarily work on planet Earth.In fact,it never does.

But there again-Tralfamadore never went experienced a 4.0 phase or,if they did,they have remained extremely quiet about it.

Wow, sounds like someone has a case of the myopic grumpies. Turn that frown upside down ???? Please try to keep in mind that every day is a new opportunity and savy tourists are quick to pick up on positive changes. I went to Khaosan at night, post changes and found it to be pleasantly populated. The khaosan experience is still awesome with potential for improvements. Can’t wait to see Songkran! 

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However,as the Thai seem to hate the Chinese,Indians,backpackers,pensioners,English teachers and cheap charlies-as do a lot of the posters here-I would say that the tourists themselves have picked up on the vibe and are going elsewhere.

As for the poster who remarked that "what is lost can be re-instated"  I would be tempted to observe that what works for Tralfamadore does not necessarily work on planet Earth.In fact,it never does.

But there again-Tralfamadore never went experienced a 4.0 phase or,if they did,they have remained extremely quiet about it.

I’m not sure what part of Thailand you’re visiting but to me it seems like there are more and more tourists, and yes, that comes along with quite a few annoyances.

Thais live on average very low quality lives and low quality experiences.

I would say you have a pretty low quality assessment of Thais and their relative place in the world. To me, the average Thai lives a much higher quality life than does, say, the average American, the latter of whom is overweight, over-worked, saddled with an immense amount of debt they can never hope to repay, and at the mercy of one of the most financially mismanaged healthcare systems in the world. Thailand has a lot of short term improvised solutions to things, for sure, but I think it’s a pretty darned good place to be for Thais and foreigners and the numbers prove it. It’s easier to get US citizenship than it is to get Thai citizenship by a mile.

2 hours ago, Dinobot said:

I would say you have a pretty low quality assessment of Thais and their relative place in the world. To me, the average Thai lives a much higher quality life than does, say, the average American, the latter of whom is overweight, over-worked, saddled with an immense amount of debt they can never hope to repay, and at the mercy of one of the most financially mismanaged healthcare systems in the world. Thailand has a lot of short term improvised solutions to things, for sure, but I think it’s a pretty darned good place to be for Thais and foreigners and the numbers prove it. It’s easier to get US citizenship than it is to get Thai citizenship by a mile.

Any fool can be happy, and the lower one's IQ, the more attainable happiness and bliss become. 

But, is the average Thai life useful? Does it contribute in some meaningful way to humanity? Almost certainly not. 

Screenshot_20181230-072005_Chrome.jpg.e304a00f2a7e09d7820dadc829de083b.jpg

2 hours ago, Dinobot said:

I agree,

They may not own a load of 'stuff', but they appear to me to be happier than western people with more loving partners and children. Somewhere the west went wrong, and it became all about me, money and possessions.

5 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Any fool can be happy, and the lower one's IQ, the more attainable happiness and bliss become. 

But, is the average Thai life useful? Does it contribute in some meaningful way to humanity?

Who cares about humanity?

As the Thais say, "I care about my family and my country (and maybe about my fellow countrymen)"

On 12/16/2018 at 8:09 AM, Fex Bluse said:

For tourists from developed countries in the west and Asia, Thailand's draw has historically been the fact is was a) cheap b) tropical c) tasty food d) chaotic and undeveloped e) pretty girls. 

It was the low quality people came for.

Now Thailand is trying to move up the quality spectrum, but the Thais don't understand at all how to provide a quality experience (for themselves or foreigners). Thais live on average very low quality lives and low quality experiences. 

So, the Thai solution to this is the Thai solution to most problems: they alter only superficialites and increase prices. The experience, however, is still very low quality - which is all the Thai really understand (or expect) 

its a very good horny experience going to soi 6 pattaya beach road especially going upstairs with a horny 20 year old girl !

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I agree,

They may not own a load of 'stuff', but they appear to me to be happier than western people with more loving partners and children. Somewhere the west went wrong, and it became all about me, money and possessions.

Spot on. I think its that core element of the Thai system that that has made Thailand a spiritual paradise, unconcerned with crass materialism, valuing the deeper, more permanent realities that underlie our earthly existence. Unlike the shallow materialism that infests the west and infects all Occidental cultures. ..... ????

oh who the he-- am I kidding. This place makes New York City look spiritual.

Bangkok is gold digger central...and the Thais are deeply in unsecured debt.  The average Thai does have good access to medical care, but that doesn't get them access to the cutting edge technologies of the West, but many in the West don't have access, either.  

On 12/30/2018 at 7:25 AM, Fex Bluse said:

But, is the average Thai life useful? Does it contribute in some meaningful way to humanity? Almost certainly not. 

Any fool can write rubbish with a straight face it appears.

31 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

You don't need a low IQ to be content and happy with the simple things in life. Somebody who doesn't need shiny things with bells and whistles, more often than not has attained a lot of awareness and understanding of life. 

You have mistakenly put together 2 quotes from different contributors 

Archived