After the rosy stories comes the reality - new Pattaya beach being washed away

webfact

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Thian said:

Who builds an elevated beach on sandbags???? And that for 400 million baht!

Was it too hard to order a load of rocks or even concrete blocks as foundation?

Its absurd, The winter Northerly wind driven currents and waves will wash out  the sand over the sandbags closest to water. Then all along the beach from North end to South end will be a decaying algae- slippery 30 0 wedge maybe 5, 10 meters  high of gross sandbags. As noted above they will protect the beach in front of deck chairs. And it was known to all what a decaying mess this project would create as evidenced from the last sandbag mess/project ??   

1 hour ago, balo said:

400 billion baht ? Can't be right.  Sand is 20 baht per kilo . 

Not when it is specially sourced from an offshore island and then barged in.

All this after months of tests and selection involving the very best that Thailand could muster from various Universities Etc.

And not to forget,this was the second attempt at sourcing the Sand, as the first lot was not up to standard ( slightly different colour or something )

On 8/7/2018 at 3:25 PM, Snow Leopard said:

No logic needed. Someone somewhere must have a stake in these types companies.

• Sand Quarry.
  • Trucking Company
  • Plant rental or a construction business.

On going repeat business

It's either the work of an imbecile, or an evil genius

On 8/7/2018 at 9:35 PM, Thian said:

Who builds an elevated beach on sandbags???? And that for 400 million baht!

Was it too hard to order a load of rocks or even concrete blocks as foundation?

Just have a look at Sentosa Island Singapore, that's how you build beaches...Afbeeldingsresultaat voor sentosa island beach

i remember sentosa from the late 60's  before it was built, no beaches then,  that picture looks good awesome tho. 

On 8/7/2018 at 3:13 PM, Snow Leopard said:

Put proper drainage channels for the rain water to run off and into the sea.

Dump some rocks a few 100 m out and create and artificial reef to stop wave erosion. 

Do you honestly think any of the parties involved in this beach erosion project care to stop the erosion?

Millions of $$$ involved in the bidding,contractors, corrupt officials, purchase and the transportation of the sand, "selection" of the "wrong color" and type by color-blind engineers, hundred of workers.

What propels the creature called "homo sapiens"  to fight wars for millenniums and until the end of times is exactly why this beach erosion project will go on forever :MONEY

i have seen some pretty interesting anti erosion beach practices around the world.  Some places realize that the waves tend to come in at a slight angle off of perpendicular to the beach so the install grates or barriers facing slightly in the opposing direction to the wave flow, and that greatly helps sand that normally gets pushed down slope to stay put.  I think Pattaya beach has the extra problem of so much storm drain water as well as waste water flowing downhill and over the sand. 

The damn water there is so filthy and unswimmable that it may not be an issue going forward since they have no plans or intentions to set up proper waste water and sewage drainage

14 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I believe that thy really dont want to stop the beach erosion.

If the beach erosion is halted, then so would the brown envelopes.

The next project will be removing 200,000 decaying sandbags from North end to South end. Or maybe they will just leave them along with that sorry mess at South end to complete the degradation of beach. 

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

The next project will be removing 200,000 decaying sandbags from North end to South end. Or maybe they will just leave them along with that sorry mess at South end to complete the degradation of beach. 

Also if no-one uses the beach then no need to treat the sewage running into the sea. Win-win.

On 8/12/2018 at 6:35 AM, pattayadude said:

Do you honestly think any of the parties involved in this beach erosion project care to stop the erosion?

Millions of $$$ involved in the bidding,contractors, corrupt officials, purchase and the transportation of the sand, "selection" of the "wrong color" and type by color-blind engineers, hundred of workers.

What propels the creature called "homo sapiens"  to fight wars for millenniums and until the end of times is exactly why this beach erosion project will go on forever :MONEY

Point taken. But at some point a little faith is required for people in power to do the right thing. I know its a big ask for sure. This issue is not unique to Thailand though is it. Like my old school reports used to say. "Can do better"., "Must try harder" , "Easily distracted" or "Easily led"

• 5 months later...

I'm here in Pattaya for the first time in a few months.  The beach is transformed!  I am very impressed with how it now looks (even though Pattaya is still a turd hole).  It looks like the reconstruction has done a good job and it has held.

Any naysayers on this thread saying the Thais can't do anything like to comment?  It looks like a job well done to me.  There must be queues of people on this thread waiting to offer apologies?

30900.jpg.fc9bbe62cf419370b859feadba6ba1da.jpg30901.jpg.55e0ef70b2304eb9aaaff388ab0d6b9b.jpg

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Any naysayers on this thread saying the Thais can't do anything like to comment?  It looks like a job well done to me.  There must be queues of people on this thread waiting to offer apologies?

I appreciate the positive comments and it matches some posts I have made. This large expanse of flat sand is a marvelous addition to Pattaya.

Although the cynic in me says, get back to me after the rainy season!

11 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I'm here in Pattaya for the first time in a few months.  The beach is transformed!  I am very impressed with how it now looks (even though Pattaya is still a turd hole).  It looks like the reconstruction has done a good job and it has held.

30900.jpg.fc9bbe62cf419370b859feadba6ba1da.jpg30901.jpg.55e0ef70b2304eb9aaaff388ab0d6b9b.jpg

Ha.

No one would ever offer an apology. The neggies will find something wrong. Uh, maybe the sand is too grainy?

Anyway, I agree it is much much better so enjoy.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

Ha.

No one would ever offer an apology. The neggies will find something wrong. Uh, maybe the sand is too grainy?

Remember what lies 6-8 inches below that imported sand you think is so beautiful....sandbags from dusit to walking street , but your optimism is refreshing...we will continue this debate in 6-8 months...

On ‎8‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Snow Leopard said:

Point taken. But at some point a little faith is required for people in power to do the right thing. I know its a big ask for sure. This issue is not unique to Thailand though is it. Like my old school reports used to say. "Can do better"., "Must try harder" , "Easily distracted" or "Easily led"

You have faith in the people that created the derelict marina, the disaster along the road leading to the lighthouse, the stupid car park at Bali Hai, destroyed the Beach Rd drainage system and allowed the monstrosity in front of the lookout?

Can't say that I do.

On 2/3/2019 at 9:39 AM, bkk6060 said:

Ha.

Whilst we're at it where's the apologies from the Pattaya Doomsdayers Massive, for the new Pattaya Tunnel. Loads all laughing saying it will flood, a waste of money, waste of time...it's a complete success and does not flood at all! What a bunch of miserable, moaning old farts! They all must be single because no woman in their right mind would ever live with someone like that. Maybe that's why they are so bitter about everything haha.

14 hours ago, MRTELLYOUSTRAIGHT said:

it's a complete success

Not the other day as they had closed one lane of it and the tailback for those heading North was a mess. Whether it is a complete success is debatable, it works well for those coming from the South who want to get onto the motorway. During rush hour traffic is no better or faster. Whether it can integrate with future developments at North Rd, Tai and Threppasit is unknown. All the tunnel does is get you to those delays a little faster. 

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

Yes the area of the beach you photographed does indeed look OK. But clearly you know little / nothing about coastal erosion or basic fluid mechanics. The erosion originally started at the very North end of the beach, where for a number of years, sand had virtually disappeared. That very area was the first to be completed in this latest fiasco, and within days of it opening, the bags were exposed and the covering of sand had completely washed away in some parts. As a result of this, the North end of the beach is now undergoing further reconstruction, just a few months after the completion of the first efforts. There are also further reconstruction works currently going on opposite Soi 6, an area of beach that has only been re opened a few weeks. It is not a question as to whether or not this beach regeneration will fail, because it clearly already is doing. This winter there has been little in the way of strong winds or rough seas in Pattaya, and the new beach has not yet had to endure a full rainy season and the flooding that always comes at this time, but despite that, erosion continues.

How long do you think it will be before the area in your pictures is affected?

When I was there, very recently (two weeks ago) the beach was pristine from end to end.  There was no reconstruction, no heavy machinery, nothing, just a very nice beach over a couple of kms.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pattaya is a turd hold and has been awful for ages, but I think this has been done well - at least from what I saw.  And what I saw is not what you saw.  I repeat, there was no reconstruction going on opposite soi 6, opposite Dusit, nowhere on the entire stretch.  Maybe someone who lives there can confirm if that is still the case.  If it has changed it means they have started digging it up in the last week or so.

And thanks for being extremely patronising by suggesting I know nothing about fluid mechanics.  You have absolutely no idea, you really don't - you don't know what I do.  I am sure you have a masters degree in the subject.  I am sure all the girls in the pink neon bar tell you how clever you are.  Well done you.

Archived