BANGKOK 19 February 2019 10:38
webfact

After the rosy stories comes the reality - new Pattaya beach being washed away

eventually the beach itself clears up the Beach Road bus problem:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kim J said:

Yes the area of the beach you photographed does indeed look OK. But clearly you know little / nothing about coastal erosion or basic fluid mechanics. The erosion originally started at the very North end of the beach, where for a number of years, sand had virtually disappeared. That very area was the first to be completed in this latest fiasco, and within days of it opening, the bags were exposed and the covering of sand had completely washed away in some parts. As a result of this, the North end of the beach is now undergoing further reconstruction, just a few months after the completion of the first efforts. There are also further reconstruction works currently going on opposite Soi 6, an area of beach that has only been re opened a few weeks. It is not a question as to whether or not this beach regeneration will fail, because it clearly already is doing. This winter there has been little in the way of strong winds or rough seas in Pattaya, and the new beach has not yet had to endure a full rainy season and the flooding that always comes at this time, but despite that, erosion continues.

How long do you think it will be before the area in your pictures is affected?

When I was there, very recently (two weeks ago) the beach was pristine from end to end.  There was no reconstruction, no heavy machinery, nothing, just a very nice beach over a couple of kms.

Don't get me wrong, I think Pattaya is a turd hold and has been awful for ages, but I think this has been done well - at least from what I saw.  And what I saw is not what you saw.  I repeat, there was no reconstruction going on opposite soi 6, opposite Dusit, nowhere on the entire stretch.  Maybe someone who lives there can confirm if that is still the case.  If it has changed it means they have started digging it up in the last week or so.

And thanks for being extremely patronising by suggesting I know nothing about fluid mechanics.  You have absolutely no idea, you really don't - you don't know what I do.  I am sure you have a masters degree in the subject.  I am sure all the girls in the pink neon bar tell you how clever you are.  Well done you.

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I am sure all the girls in the pink neon bar tell you how clever you are.  Well done you.

Those ain't girls. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

When I was there, very recently (two weeks ago) the beach was pristine from end to end.  There was no reconstruction, no heavy machinery, nothing, just a very nice beach over a couple of kms.

Well two weeks ago, clearly you did not see the beach end to end, because the sandbags at the very North of the beach were exposed a few months ago, and still are.

What they have done is simply papered over the cracks, the sea will always win, and the current repairs already being carried out are no better, just a bit thicker paper. To reconstruct Pattaya beach and have any hope at all of it remaining pristine end to end for any length of time would require a major civil engineering project, and given they are seemingly over recent years incapable of building a simple promenade that doesn't collapse in parts every time it rains heavy, I can not see that happening.

Buried sandbags will never achieve a long term solution to the problem. Other than my suggestion above, the only other option for a lasting solution is to reinstate the shore line as it was, which would mean losing the promenade, Beach Rd and a number of buildings on the opposite side of Beach Rd, again, will never happen.

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

Edited by Kim J

9 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Maybe someone who lives there can confirm if that is still the case.  If it has changed it means they have started digging it up in the last week or so.

I do live here and have witnessed the entire fiasco from start to finish, including when there were hoardings up along the North part of the beach for over a year, and no reconstruction went on behind them, just crime, vagrancy and antisocial behaviour.

Here are a couple more images, all of them taken around 8.00am yesterday.

Also you mention "digging it up", that is not the case, just rebuilding of the areas that have already eroded / been washed away.

104.jpg

105.jpg

Edited by Kim J