Game Account Hacking Scam?

mrwebb8825

I've been getting these in my email for a few weeks now and wasn't exactly sure where to post about it. It's email related, IT scam related and the "company" is gaming related. The problem is that I have absolutely no idea who they are or why they believe I have an account with them that is getting "supisious activity". I'll paste the email below:

ubi-logo-email.png

Hi,

An unusual activity was recently registered on your Ubisoft account for the following email address: xxxxxxxxxxxx@gmail.com. Please review the details below:

• Activity: Login
  • IP address: 185.14.192.22

If this was you:

Great! You can safely ignore this email.

If this wasn't you:

Your Ubisoft account may have been compromised and you should take a few steps to make sure it is secure. To start, reset your password now. After that, we recommend you toactivate the 2-Step Verification to enhance the security of your account.

Need additional help? Contact Ubisoft Customer Support.

Ubisoft

“©2018 Ubisoft Entertainment. All rights reserved. Ubisoft and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the U.S. and/or other countries.

UBISOFT ENTERTAINMENT S.A., a société anonyme incorporated under the laws of France having its registered office at 107 Avenue Henri Freville, BP 1070, 35207 Rennes, France”

Pursuant to the European Directive 95/46/CE, you have the right to access, modify, rectify and delete any personal data concerning you.

They have my correct email and every single one of them is identical except the country and IP address are always different. Anybody have any idea or seen this in your email?

I do play an online game that is hosted in the browser so no downloads of any kind. I reported it to their tech support and they responded that it not assocciated with them. I also reported it to the international cyber criminal division out of the US but have never heard back from them.

The email looks similar to some that I have received. I see that the login shows a UK IP address. Had you been out of the country before receiving the emails? Ubisoft is a legitimate gaming developer and if the game you play is marketed by them and you were required to set-up a player ID, an email address and accept the legal statement prior to playing, then you set-up an account. Emails such as this are automatically generated by a computer program when the server notices a change in the physical location of an email address when logging on to the game. It is to prevent fraud and an unauthorized access to your account. You can Google for the game developer.

22 hours ago, tweedledee2 said:

The email looks similar to some that I have received. I see that the login shows a UK IP address. Had you been out of the country before receiving the emails? Ubisoft is a legitimate gaming developer and if the game you play is marketed by them and you were required to set-up a player ID, an email address and accept the legal statement prior to playing, then you set-up an account. Emails such as this are automatically generated by a computer program when the server notices a change in the physical location of an email address when logging on to the game. It is to prevent fraud and an unauthorized access to your account. You can Google for the game developer.

As I said in the OP, I play 1 game online and submitted an earlier copy of this email to their tech support staff. They said it was not related to them. I have received several of these over the last couple of months even though I've been playing Delta Wars 5 for a year.

Each of the emails received has a unique country and IP address listed. I only posted the latest 1 here but have not been to the UK since Johnson was  president.

I guess, on the bright side, they'll eventually run out of countries. :wai:

• 2 weeks later...

this if about uPlay, the digital game distributor for Ubisoft (and some others) games

stuff like The Sims, assassins creed and whatnot are locked on there

https://store.ubi.com/sea/home?lang=en_SG

you can look if you have some of those games, even on Steam they are linked on uPlay

anyways, nothing to worry about if you know nothing about the account, lol.

• 3 months later...

This looks like a phishing email. As the standard advice goes, "Never click on a link in an email from an unknown sender, or in an email that you weren't expecting."

You say you don't have an account with them (that you're aware of) and the tech support from the company says it's not from them so I would say ignore it and/or add the sender address to your email blocked senders list.

Archived