Problem - Translating mechanical terms to a Thai. Lol.

Batty

Hello people, this is such a long shot, slim chance, I feel a little silly asking...

Im hoping someone could help translate something for me.  I have had a classic bike rebuilt by a mechanic here in Thailand and a problem has developed with something specific.  Basically I need to order a new part for the bike (a crankshaft), but I dont know if he knows how to fit this part.  Actually I KNOW he can fit it, but dont know if he can fit it properly based on some advice I have been given in the UK.

Again, this is a massive long shot lol but I need this translating if anyone can help?  Please?  Im realy stuck here and cant move foreard with building the bike unless I get this info conveyed to him!

Here goes:

"I recommend a 60 /110 crank shaft as the stroke increase takes the 186cc to to 193cc ... this longer rod (con rod, or connecting rod) has a few advantages. Firstly the longer rod prevents the piston hitting the crankcase at BDC, it may hit because the 60 stroke takes the piston 1mm higher and 1mm lower. The longer rod also means that the rod angle is less which in turn reduces the pressure on the barrel walls. The longer rod also increases crankcase volume.  The package will be the piston, crank, required packers etc for it to be a easy to fit. However your engine builder would have to know how to correctly check the squish* so he can correctly work out the exact packing needed below the barrel.  Also to do the job correctly he would need the tools to lower the bottom edges of the ports in the barrel to suit the 60 stroke....You could just use a 58/107 crank but I'm presuming the crank you have removed is a 60 stroke and that the mentioned port alterations have already been carried out....You don't want to use a 60 107 crank unless you are prepared to cut 1mm off the bottom of the piston skirts.

*Squish

This is what squish means - If the cylinder is removed from the engine, the cylinder gasket must be replaced.  The new gasket must be of the correct thickness for the squish to have the right value.  Squish is the clearance between the piston and the squish band inside the cylinder (see illustration).  It is a critical value because high squish velocity shortens combustion duration, staving off detonation (knocking/pre-ignition).  If it is not set correctly, the engine can be damaged.  The squish is adjusted by changing the thickness of the gasket that is between the base of the cylinder and the engine crankcase.

So there you go lol.  Im laughing as I write all this as its a big expectation thinking someone is either willing to translate this for me or capable!  I could make a donation to a charity of your choice if anyone can help out!  Seriously.

Thanks

Batty

?

I am not surprised that there are no takers Batty, jargon is by definition is speech full of unfamiliar terms. For example, I see squish as a static measurement then see squish velocity and I am stumped!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

I am not surprised that there are no takers Batty, jargon is by definition is speech full of unfamiliar terms. For example, I see squish as a static measurement then see squish velocity and I am stumped!

I see squish as just a static measurement. Not dynamic.

So go for it@tgeezer .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I see squish as just a static measurement. Not dynamic.

So go for it[mention=39109]tgeezer[/mention] .

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

To translate into Thai a Thai native speaker is required but when an English native speaker can't translate English into English there is a problem!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks Briggsy, from a cursory glance I get the impression that การบีบ is compression and the explanation is about a deisel not a two stroke.
However I expect that there are lots of good expressions there for the mechanically minded.

• 1 month later...

Archived