Boris Johnson slammed over Islamophobic comments

webfact

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes it does, and that is why shariah law is so disgusting. It will take women from the most regressive and repressive muslim countries (which is where we get a large number of our immigrants from) years of our liberal influence to escape their illiberal brainwashing. And lo and behold, when they do, and decide to live freely in Britain and marry an enthic Briton, mom and pop send them to Asia and murder them.

Tell me Chomper, what actual experience do you have of muslims and Islam, inside or outside of the UK.

My question was meant to be rhetorical.

36 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Then why are the forum’s Islamophobes and Anti-Muslim ranters all over this topic like a nasty rash?

Tell me Chomper, what actual experience do you have of muslims and Islam, inside or outside of the UK.

I spent 5 happy years in the Middle East, made (and saved) a lot of money, met some wonderful people AND recruited three Middle Eastern Engineers (you can assume Muslims) to employment in the UK. They are all now earning in excess of £80K a year, one a good deal more than that. 

Their faith was never a consideration, in my decision to recruit them, rather their engineering and academic excellence together with their good character.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

As another poster pointed out (on a different thread I suspect), freedom of 'dress' has certain limitations.  i.e. One would be in serious trouble if walking around in public if dressed in KKK 'clothes' or nazi uniform!  For obvious reasons, it would be seriously disliked/hated by everyone else, and the individual would likely be taken to the police station, reprimanded, taken home - and told not to be so stupid again.

But this is just a side-point.  Dressing as one pleases is generally fair enough - but a piece of cloth, completely hiding one's face is not a 'fashion choice'....  

Dressing as one pleases is generally fair enough - but a piece of cloth, completely hiding one's face is not a 'fashion choice'....  

I don’t think anyone is arguing this is a matter of fashion.

It is a matter of choice and it is a matter of at what point does the law start proscribing against a form of dress.

I understand it’s a bit radical but perhaps we should start by asking the views of the women who wear veils or Burqas.

@Chomper, the Middle East has a large variety of different types of muslims, from the Levantine liberals to the Saudi Wahabbis.

The middle class Asian muslims in the UK who murder their daughters for trying to marry ethnic Britons are usually from Pakistan, which has  been increasingly indoctrinated by Saudi Wahabbism over the last few decades (as have all muslim countries). Liberal muslims now live in fear for their lives in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia...

Anyone who considers themselves to be a liberal needs to have a bit more of a nuanced approach than to shout "Islamophobe". 

Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

As for Johnson, it's clear he's playing a game. He's positioning himself to be the UK's Trump. The way things are going he could easily succeed.

Speaking of Johnson. Didn't he say he's a Turkish immigrant? Is he a 5th columnist?

Oh yeah, Turkey - liberal when I was young, rapidly approaching fascism now. Or should that be Islamofascism.

"Moroccan authorities have recently banned the manufacturing, marketing and sale of the burqa – The decision is noteworthy in a country whose population is 99% Muslim. So what does the ban mean?" The burqa is perceived by many Moroccans as alien to their culture. The wearing of the burqa is perceived as an unwelcome Wahhabi practice. The ban is part of a broader fight against religious extremism and terrorism."

https://theconversation.com/why-moroccos-burqa-ban-is-more-than-just-a-security-measure-72120

We - as non muslims - living in non muslim countries - have our say too.

(referring to " alien" to our culture,  Muslim polygamy in western countries in the wake of the migrant crisis, is an other issue ).  

54 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes it does, and that is why shariah law is so disgusting. It will take women from the most regressive and repressive muslim countries (which is where we get a large number of our immigrants from) years of our liberal influence to escape their illiberal brainwashing. And lo and behold, when they do, and decide to live freely in Britain and marry an ethnic Briton, mom and pop send them to Asia and murder them.<snip>

https://theconversation.com/what-sharia-law-means-five-questions-answered-79325

@Simple. a quote from your link

"On the specific question of adultery, Islam, like some other religions, takes a strong position, since it seeks to promote the sanctity and stability of the family. Those found guilty of adultery are supposed to be punished by lashing (based on the Quran) or stoning (based on hadith).

But there is a high bar of evidence that must be met before this punishment can be meted out: Four witnesses must observe the actual act of penetration."

I hope the "liberals" are taking note. It's never too late to learn.

43 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

@Chomper, the Middle East has a large variety of different types of muslims, from the Levantine liberals to the Saudi Wahabbis.

The middle class Asian muslims in the UK who murder their daughters for trying to marry ethnic Britons are usually from Pakistan, which has  been increasingly indoctrinated by Saudi Wahabbism over the last few decades (as have all muslim countries). Liberal muslims now live in fear for their lives in Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia...

Anyone who considers themselves to be a liberal needs to have a bit more of a nuanced approach than to shout "Islamophobe". 

Islam is the enemy of liberalism.

As for Johnson, it's clear he's playing a game. He's positioning himself to be the UK's Trump. The way things are going he could easily succeed.

Speaking of Johnson. Didn't he say he's a Turkish immigrant? Is he a 5th columnist?

Oh yeah, Turkey - liberal when I was young, rapidly approaching fascism now. Or should that be Islamofascism.

Whatever the problems are wrt to integrating Muslims into mainstream British society they are not helped by a leading politician spreading division and mistrust.

Alexander Boris (man of the people) de Pfeffel Johnson was born in the US, he only recently surrendered his US citizenship.

A Phobia is a legitimate fear of something and based on the hundreds of thousands blown up, beheaded, stoned, whipped etc I think we can ALL AGREE 

Isalam and PHOBIA belong together like 2 peas in a pod 

Perfectly fine to be Islamaphobic where Islam is concerned.

10 minutes ago, Hogs said:

A Phobia is a legitimate fear of something and based on the hundreds of thousands blown up, beheaded, stoned, whipped etc I think we can ALL AGREE 

Isalam and PHOBIA belong together like 2 peas in a pod 

Perfectly fine to be Islamaphobic where Islam is concerned.

Erm....

pho·bi·a

ˈfōbēə/

noun

an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

"he had a phobia about being under water"

synonyms:fear, irrational fear, obsessive fear, dread, horror, terror, hatred, loathing, detestation, aversion, antipathy, revulsion; More

I don't like the guy at all.  However, in this case he is entitled to his opinion.  It is not raciest... Muslims are not a race, same as Christians are not a race of people.  Those women do look like they are wearing black hallowed ghost costumes.  Its also offensive to many people... not because they are Muslims, but because its against women's rights to have to wear such a thing.  

We would not think it right to walk around a strict Muslim country dressed in our skimpy beach wear.  I believe women who want to wear these black letter box costumes should also think its not right to wear them in most western countries.

Can we still say that Catholic Nuns look like penguins?  Or, is that also raciest and anti Christian?  

Just now, jak2002003 said:

I don't like they guy at all.  However, in this case he is entitled to his opinion.  It is not raciest... Muslims are not a race, same as Christians are not a race of people.  Those women do look like they are wearing black hallowed ghost costumes.  Its also offensive to many people... not because they are Muslims, but because its against women's rights to have to wear such a thing.  

We would not think it right to walk around a strict Muslim country dressed in or beach wear.  I believe women's wanted to wear these black letter box costumes should also think its not right to wear them in most western countries.

Can we still say that Catholic Nuns look like penguins?  Or, is that also raciest and anti Christian?  

You perhaps need to read up on the UK’s legal definition of racism and race.

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

No thanks.

You agree with every legal definition that the UK comes up with?  Do you never think the law can sometimes be wrong or immoral?  

How is a women wearing a burqa different form a woman wearing a nun outfit?  Why is it raciest to say what the burqa woman looks like in her get up but not the nun?  

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Who give a hoot 

The UK and its legal definitions are LOST as is the UK 

2 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I spent 5 happy years in the Middle East, made (and saved) a lot of money, met some wonderful people AND recruited three Middle Eastern Engineers (you can assume Muslims) to employment in the UK. They are all now earning in excess of £80K a year, one a good deal more than that. 

Their faith was never a consideration, in my decision to recruit them, rather their engineering and academic excellence together with their good character.

I'm curious to know how many women you saw in gainful employment while you were in the ME. I don't have any experience of that region (nor do I want any), but from what I gather it's hardly liberal from a woman's standpoint.

You appear to take a 'liberal' stance in this debate, while defending the right to oppress women.

I like Boris, he's such a buffoon but this time he's cracked a classic...
He's spot on though and he has refused to apologize, for once sticking to his believes and not pandering to others believes...

Boris on cares about himself, one of the biggest hypocrites in politics and that is some accolade.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This is no good way to fight Islamism. I am pretty sure that the majority of those women wear those horrible stuff due to pressure from husbands, family etc anyway.

Which countries in the West can cut ties with, or at least impose some sanctions (ending the sale of arms could be a good start) on countries which support or turn a blind eye to Islamist terrorism ? Not many. 

Yes, Iran is on the receiving end of some sanctions, but we all know that Iran is not the only country that supports or turns a blind eye to Islamist terrorism.

9 minutes ago, JemJem said:

This is no good way to fight Islamism. I am pretty sure that the majority of those women wear those horrible stuff due to pressure from husbands, family etc anyway.

The Chinese seem to have mastered it,,,,

I would have agreed with you on the fact of husbAnds pressure in the Middle East that was my experience but not with many I have met in the UK. The indoctrination and brainwashing goes to the core and many are as guilty as the men on their version of Islam and the Koran.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

'... the Tory politician ... said that Muslim women wearing the veils look like "letter boxes" and compared them to "bank robbers".'

Pretty accurate comparison.

I'm sure they don't appreciate the observation, but then their new home is not their old one. If they prefer the old, they can always go back.

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

They do look like letter boxes or bank robbers. It also looks like oppression and misogyny, but the progressives are happy to overlook it.

One female politician said that these poor women are forced to hide their beauty and their bruises .......

7 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:
7 hours ago, 7by7 said:

What country bans the wearing of motorbike helmets in public?

Certainly not the UK, as the victims of the motobike mugging gangs can testify!

Of course, some institutions, such as banks, demand those wearing full face helmets remove them upon entry , but that is not a law and those institutions could ask the same of any person whose face is covered if they wish; and some do.

Read my post referred to, then comment please.  I gave a list of many public places - including banks - and didnt include many more.  

And in passing I would also point out that anywhere and at anytime the Police can require that I remove the helmet.

From that post, it seems you are talking about Australia; this topic is about the UK!

I will take your word for it that Australian police can require you to remove your helmet, presumably even if they have to stop you whilst you are riding in order to so dor if you are walking about wearing it. I assume that this is for ID purposes and they have the same right to require anyone whose face is covered to uncover it if required for the same reason.

Certainly here in the UK women wearing burkas or other face covering are required to remove it for ID purposes; at passport control when being indicted in a court of law, when being sworn in to give evidence in a court of law, even when attending to take a driving test.

As for private institutions, whether they be a bank, a pub or anything, it is up to the owners to decide whether or not to allow entry to people whose faces are covered. As long as they don't discriminate and the same rules apply to all regardless of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation etc.

Is it not the same in Australia?

16 hours ago, owl sees all said:

Is this anti-Semitic sluring:

Anti Jews

Anti Israel

Anti Zionists?

I'm in the dark here.

Pretty much anything from not liking falafels to making a remark that while on holiday it rained for one day. It's 'boy who cried wolf' and Islamophobia is the same thing. 

6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

<snip>

We would not think it right to walk around a strict Muslim country dressed in our skimpy beach wear.  I believe women who want to wear these black letter box costumes should also think its not right to wear them in most western countries

So you're saying because some countries have repressive laws which severely restrict individual freedoms, such what can and cannot be worn in public, that we should do the same?

4 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So you're saying because some countries have repressive laws which severely restrict individual freedoms, such what can and cannot be worn in public, that we should do the same?

Laughable. Are you saying that because some countries legally or emotionally force women to dress in a certain way, we should do the same?

This is what happens (EU & UK) when you refuse to call out ANY accusations so when nutters such as Tommy Robinson come into view, it is of their own making.  

7 minutes ago, notmyself said:
20 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Laughable. Are you saying that because some countries legally or emotionally force women to dress in a certain way, we should do the same?

This is what happens (EU & UK) when you refuse to call out ANY accusations so when nutters such as Tommy Robinson come into view, it is of their own making.

I asked jak2002003 a question based on a remark he made:-

19 minutes ago, 7by7 said:
6 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

<snip>

We would not think it right to walk around a strict Muslim country dressed in our skimpy beach wear.  I believe women who want to wear these black letter box costumes should also think its not right to wear them in most western countries 

How is that laughable?

How did that prompt your question of me; which is essentially the same as that I asked jak2002003?

My point being that there are repressive regimes in the world; no one is going to deny that. Thankfully the UK is not one of those; and long may it remain so.

All the faux outrage when the geeza ain't wrong .. is he .? 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

In an opinion piece published in Monday's Daily Telegraph, the Tory politician and leading figure in a campaign for Britain to leave the European Union said that Muslim women wearing the veils look like "letter boxes" and compared them to "bank robbers".

IMG_20180808_183742_20180808184718677_20180808184811692.jpg

Archived