Chiang Rai to open chemical-free vegetable and fruit market in 2019

webfact

Chiang Rai to open chemical-free vegetable and fruit market in 2019

PNECO610807001000301.jpg

CHIANG RAI, 8th August 2018 (NNT)-Chiang Rai province is set to open the largest market for fresh fruit and vegetables in the upper part of the northern Thailand next year. 

Permanent Secretary of Chiang Rai Samrit Sawamipak said during a press conference today at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, that the market would help local farmers in the province become more competitive and maintain the prices of locally grown fresh fruit and vegetables. 

Samrit also believes Chiang Rai will become known regionally as a center of organic produce since the market, also known as Talad Lan Muang, will only sell chemical-free fresh produce. 

Napintorn Srisanpang, the President of the Ratchaburi Central Vegetable and Fruit Market, said today the opening of such a market in Chiang Rai was due to the fact there is over two million rai of farmland, and given the proximity of the province to Laos and Myanmar, Chiang Rai could potentially become a distribution center for fresh vegetables and fruit to these nations. 

It is also expected that up to 10,000 tons of vegetables and fruit will be delivered and distributed via the center daily. Jianghai Market Plc Executive Director Wisarn Techateerawat said that in addition to organic produce, Talad Lan Muang will also sell locally made goods in the hope of attracting tourists from other provinces. 

The market, which will be located on a 160 rai- plot of land at Mae Korn Intersection, will open next year. The construction will cost around 2 billion baht. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-08

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The construction will cost around 2 billion baht

Isn't that a bit steap for a market?? 

I hope this market will be better than the Or-tor-kor market where they all try to cheat me cause i'm farang. 

Fruitmarkets which don't show their prices are just a scam in my book.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I wonder how they will be sure all the produce sold is chemical-free?

(I'm guessing) if people may be prepared to pay slightly more for this, how will they stop other sellers thinking they can make easy money out of it.

There are 3-monthly tests of the soil and the produce, and a license is issued to farmers who pass the test. Organic produce is more expensive because the yield is lower.

Don't forget the health benefits to the consumer, the sustainability of the soil, and the psychological benefit of eating food that was produced in closer harmony with mother nature!

Don't trust any products that are 'chemical free, organic, or free range' even with testing and supervisions of the procedures, in a country where almost everyone is on the take one way or another, i wouldn't put much stock into any of the above claims, and 2 billion baht to build a market to sell fruits and veggies? i rest my case...

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

There are 3-monthly tests of the soil and the produce, and a license is issued to farmers who pass the test.

A "test" in Thailand ...
A "license" in Thailand ...
?
:cheesy:

40 minutes ago, Chassa said:

I suppose by 'Chemical free' they mean pesticide free. Everything is made of chemicals,

Well I can't speak for the writers of the OP. 

You are misinformed - organic farms use pesticide. The difference is that the pesticide is organic, and in our case home-made, and doesn't kill everything in the food chain for the privilege of supplying your sustenance. 

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Well I can't speak for the writers of the OP. 

You are misinformed - organic farms use pesticide. The difference is that the pesticide is organic, and in our case home-made, and doesn't kill everything in the food chain for the privilege of supplying your sustenance. 

Sorry! I meant inorganic pesticides, thought that was obvious.

56 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes, that's what happens on our farm. 

And maybe at our neighbor's (a retired military general) "Certified Organic Banana Orchard", too ...
But I definitely know what is printed on the drums and sacks he hides in the shed directly besides my workshop, and what is sprayed and spread on almost weekly basis ...

I think this is the same market opposite global house .I read news today. They are charging 100,000baht for one stall  , and rent 3 months in advance  3600 a month .They will make their money back easy .There will be also a night market and will be a  seafood market as well.

On 8/7/2018 at 5:27 PM, bluesofa said:

I wonder how they will be sure all the produce sold is chemical-free?

(I'm guessing) if people may be prepared to pay slightly more for this, how will they stop other sellers thinking they can make easy money out of it.

Agree! They didn't mention how and who will certified the produce that they are organic. I've read from the local news a couple of months ago that a great number of produce from China is stealing the market from local farmer because the produce looks bigger and more beautiful than those of the local. And, I will not eat anything produced/grown in China.

At that point I determine to grow my own vegetables and fruits in my backyard! How can we be sure that the produce is from the local, organic, and not from our neighbor China?

I buy most of my salad and veg from the Royal Project Store.

While the produce is not true "organic" acceptable withholding periods of chemicals are used before harvest.

I'll admit I take chances on fruit like apples and grapes from the local markets.... I just wash it well before eating.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:38 AM, My Thai Life said:

There are 3-monthly tests of the soil and the produce, and a license is issued to farmers who pass the test. Organic produce is more expensive because the yield is lower.

This is how our farm is licensed as organic. The tests are performed by officials from a government department. I see no reason why this should change when a new market is opened.

2 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I buy most of my salad and veg from the Royal Project Store.

Thanks for the info. I've been searching for organic store in Chiang Rai, but didn't find any. Where is the Royal Project Store -- in Ampur Muong Chiang Rai?

30 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

This is how our farm is licensed as organic. The tests are performed by officials from a government department. I see no reason why this should change when a new market is opened.

What is the name of your farm? In Chiang Rai or else?

I used to plant vegetable on my backyard in the US, but each plant was so productive -- tomatoes, cucumbers, beans... I had to can/pickle them and gave them away as Christmas gifts -- a lot of work, though. Since there was a drought in California way back 5 years ago and we had to limit our use of water, I gave up my summer garden and let my front yard lawn die. The state put up the fine from $500.- to $1000.- if you used too much water or water the lawn everyday. Two years ago, we had good rain, but this year the drought is back. So dry that there are 17 wildfires in California right now. We have red sun and yellow sky everyday because of the smog from the fires ?

53 minutes ago, MadameM said:

Thanks for the info. I've been searching for organic store in Chiang Rai, but didn't find any. Where is the Royal Project Store -- in Ampur Muong Chiang Rai?

Conveniently situated at Central Plaza, the ground floor.

There is one of those organic produce dealers out our way - "Bio Asia"? 

I don't know about organic, but some of the decrepit trucks which bring in a lot of the produce are pretty polluting! 

We ( well my wife actually) grow quite a lot of our own fruit and veg, as well as supplying the "tribes of Issan". The only fertiliser used is buffalo pooh, which "best beloved" spreads around enthusiastically. A regular task for yours truly is collecting and transporting sacks of the stuff. 

I wondered what they were building opposite "Global House". 

Where I live , there is a village about 3 klms from my home going back to the town.  The whole village is organic , they usually have stalls on the front of the highway .They seem to have stopped alot of selling lately , but if you drive in you can fins the produce. Actually the princess goes down there once a year to inspect the gardens as she is into organic farming .

If I am correct the best time to go to the royal project shop is on Mondays and Thursday afternoon as that is when they get the new stock in . It sells out quite often. Maybe sceadugenga will know more about times.

I was there yesterday about 11 and it was almost cleaned out, probably waiting for a delivery, I'd say that today would have been ideal.

Going back to town from your house there is a small restaurant  on your right about a km before the White Temple turn off. 

All ingredients are home grown and organic, the cook has worked in the UK as well.

Highly recommended.

Huaen Arharn Baan Cafe

160 Moo 5 Tumbon Maekorn
Chiang Rai, Thailand 57000

6 hours ago, sceadugenga said:

I was there yesterday about 11 and it was almost cleaned out, probably waiting for a delivery, I'd say that today would have been ideal.

Going back to town from your house there is a small restaurant  on your right about a km before the White Temple turn off. 

All ingredients are home grown and organic, the cook has worked in the UK as well.

Highly recommended.

Huaen Arharn Baan Cafe

160 Moo 5 Tumbon Maekorn
Chiang Rai, Thailand 57000

Look like it's close to my property, which is half-way from the city to the white temple. Thanks a lot. I will arrive CR on Sept 1. and will need to fill in the fridge with fruits and vegetable by the next day. I hope they open on Sat.

Archived