BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Chiang Rai to open chemical-free vegetable and fruit market in 2019

Chiang Rai to open chemical-free vegetable and fruit market in 2019

PNECO610807001000301.jpg

CHIANG RAI, 8th August 2018 (NNT)-Chiang Rai province is set to open the largest market for fresh fruit and vegetables in the upper part of the northern Thailand next year. 

Permanent Secretary of Chiang Rai Samrit Sawamipak said during a press conference today at Le Meridien Chiang Rai Resort, that the market would help local farmers in the province become more competitive and maintain the prices of locally grown fresh fruit and vegetables. 

Samrit also believes Chiang Rai will become known regionally as a center of organic produce since the market, also known as Talad Lan Muang, will only sell chemical-free fresh produce. 

Napintorn Srisanpang, the President of the Ratchaburi Central Vegetable and Fruit Market, said today the opening of such a market in Chiang Rai was due to the fact there is over two million rai of farmland, and given the proximity of the province to Laos and Myanmar, Chiang Rai could potentially become a distribution center for fresh vegetables and fruit to these nations. 

It is also expected that up to 10,000 tons of vegetables and fruit will be delivered and distributed via the center daily. Jianghai Market Plc Executive Director Wisarn Techateerawat said that in addition to organic produce, Talad Lan Muang will also sell locally made goods in the hope of attracting tourists from other provinces. 

The market, which will be located on a 160 rai- plot of land at Mae Korn Intersection, will open next year. The construction will cost around 2 billion baht. 

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-08

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The construction will cost around 2 billion baht

Isn't that a bit steap for a market?? 

I hope this market will be better than the Or-tor-kor market where they all try to cheat me cause i'm farang. 

Fruitmarkets which don't show their prices are just a scam in my book.

I wonder how they will be sure all the produce sold is chemical-free?

(I'm guessing) if people may be prepared to pay slightly more for this, how will they stop other sellers thinking they can make easy money out of it.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I wonder how they will be sure all the produce sold is chemical-free?

(I'm guessing) if people may be prepared to pay slightly more for this, how will they stop other sellers thinking they can make easy money out of it.

There are 3-monthly tests of the soil and the produce, and a license is issued to farmers who pass the test. Organic produce is more expensive because the yield is lower.

Don't forget the health benefits to the consumer, the sustainability of the soil, and the psychological benefit of eating food that was produced in closer harmony with mother nature!

Don't trust any products that are 'chemical free, organic, or free range' even with testing and supervisions of the procedures, in a country where almost everyone is on the take one way or another, i wouldn't put much stock into any of the above claims, and 2 billion baht to build a market to sell fruits and veggies? i rest my case...

@Ezzra, speaking as someone who lives half of my time on an organic farm, I can assure you that you are talking uninformed nonsense.

4 hours ago, My Thai Life said:

There are 3-monthly tests of the soil and the produce, and a license is issued to farmers who pass the test.

A "test" in Thailand ...
A "license" in Thailand ...
?
:cheesy:

I suppose by 'Chemical free' they mean pesticide free. Everything is made of chemicals,

2 hours ago, rebo said:

A "test" in Thailand ...
A "license" in Thailand ...

Yes, that's what happens on our farm. 

40 minutes ago, Chassa said:

I suppose by 'Chemical free' they mean pesticide free. Everything is made of chemicals,

Well I can't speak for the writers of the OP. 

You are misinformed - organic farms use pesticide. The difference is that the pesticide is organic, and in our case home-made, and doesn't kill everything in the food chain for the privilege of supplying your sustenance. 

2 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Well I can't speak for the writers of the OP. 

You are misinformed - organic farms use pesticide. The difference is that the pesticide is organic, and in our case home-made, and doesn't kill everything in the food chain for the privilege of supplying your sustenance. 

Sorry! I meant inorganic pesticides, thought that was obvious.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

chemical-free vegetable and fruit

How many fruits and veggies can the harvest from 6 balcony plantations?

56 minutes ago, My Thai Life said:

Yes, that's what happens on our farm. 

And maybe at our neighbor's (a retired military general) "Certified Organic Banana Orchard", too ...
But I definitely know what is printed on the drums and sacks he hides in the shed directly besides my workshop, and what is sprayed and spread on almost weekly basis ...

2 minutes ago, rebo said:

But I definitely know what is printed on the drums and sacks he hides in the shed directly besides my workshop

OK, please share that information here.

1 minute ago, My Thai Life said:

OK, please share that information here.

Hell I will do ...!