Pattaya Russian had chance to leave Thailand after drug offence - now faces murder rap

webfact

Pattaya Russian had chance to leave Thailand after drug offence - now faces murder rap

1PM.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Russian living in Pattaya who was arrested for possession of drugs in March was given bail and could have left Thailand.

He chose not to and perhaps with good reason. It has been discovered that he is wanted for murder in Russia.

Chonburi immigration moved to arrest Ivan Skiba yesterday at house number 506/5 Moo 12 Nong Prue, Bang Lamung.

His visa had run out on Sunday.

Back in March he was caught in possession of ecstasy and ganja and a judgement on June 22nd handed down a sentence of 13 months and 15 days that was suspended for two years.

He was granted bail earlier by the Pattaya court and was allowed to leave Thailand. He stayed.

Subsequently the Russian police contacted Chonburi immigration asking for help in finding Skiba concerning a murder committed in Russia on 9th October 2017.

Daily News reported that the suspect will serve time in Thailand before being deported back to Russia.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-08

1 minute ago, LazySlipper said:

A couple days ago Prayut was saying that he understood if England did not extradite the Shinawats... let's see what he does when Russia requests him to do so.

Will he have claws against the Russian bear?

prayut knew damn well england weren't going to extradite yingluck. not sure anyone even knows what passport she is using and that feeble letter from the embassy was not normal procedure for extradition, just something to fool the thai populace.

russia want this bloke back the thais will send him packing in the same way if the UK had some problem with me they'd send me packing too.

let's not even bother bringing up rbb. we all know he'll never set foot in a jail in this country

He could have fled to Cambodia or Laos and maybe stayed under the radar for years.

Anyway why was he not deported in the first place?  So I can sniff coke here and get released on bail ? 

2 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

A couple days ago Prayut was saying that he understood if England did not extradite the Shinawats... let's see what he does when Russia requests him to do so.

Will he have claws against the Russian bear?

You understand the different relationships between Thailand/Russia, Thailand/UK?  There is no free movement Thailand/UK .. Thai's can go to Russia without a visa. 

Countries globally have different extradition agreements. Or you thought it was the same everywhere? 

A suspended sentence in Thailand for drugs, allowed to leave the country and then he gets his photo blurred when its released to the media after he is arrested for murder. 

Something tells me this guy has one or two connections in Thailand. 

41 minutes ago, Tiredofglasshalfemptyexpat said:

Countries globally have different extradition agreements. Or you thought it was the same everywhere? 

Thanks for assuming my knowledge with your question... I actually, believe it or not, know that it is entirely up to each country.

Russia hasn't had much luck with extraditions lately (that we know of).
When Victor Bout was arrested (after being set up by a special ATF squad), the Russians tried to get Thailand to send him back to Russia. The Americans at one point actually tried to sneak him out of the country but got caught before they could load him on a plane. Bout however was never allowed bail despite only being held on a minor Visa issue and eventually Thailand let the Americans take him just to get rid of the problem.
Then there's the "sex coaches" that were being held (or still are) in Pattaya. After arrest, the one woman claimed she had secret info about the Russian's interfering in the last American election. No bail granted to them either and they are still in Thailand despite Russian wanting them returned (to face charges there). They've been in custody for months now and it seems they haven't even been offered a bail option.

It seems rather odd that this guy was given a sentence of 13 months (which was suspended for 2 years ?) and then given bail ? Normally you would only get bail if you were in custody and hadn't been tried (and convicted) yet. Unless you are charged with another crime after being found guilty of the first one.

For example, Kamnan Poh, once known as the "Godfather of Chon Buri" had been arrested, tried and convicted on murder charges in 2004. He was sentenced to 25 years in prison. 
However, after that he was charged with some corruption charges and he also appealed the murder conviction. The court let him out on bail so he could fight the new charges and appeal the old ones. He did a runner and wasn't caught again until 2013 (he came out of hiding and was caught on the way to a hospital otherwise he'd probably still be on the lam).

Even more odd is that this Russian, after having his (original) sentence suspended, he wasn't ordered to be deported. He really should have ducked out of the country. He may have been "under the radar" before but once you've been arrested and appeared in court, you are fully on the "radar". Maybe they didn't order him deported because the drug sentence was suspended ? Doesn't sound right, especially with the whole "good guys in, bad guys out" program they have been pushing lately.

Can't imagine what it must have cost to get out on bail, after having been convicted and sentenced.

(That just doesn't seem right either - I'm wondering if there is an error in the initial news report. Can't tell from the Google translation.)

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Back in March he was caught in possession of ecstasy and ganja and a judgement on June 22nd handed down a sentence of 13 months and 15 days that was suspended for two years.

Thai judges bought a brain finally ? They do not stupidly send every drug user to jail anymore ?

3 hours ago, balo said:

He could have fled to Cambodia or Laos and maybe stayed under the radar for years.

Anyway why was he not deported in the first place?  So I can sniff coke here and get released on bail ? 

He did the murder 2017 so there are not really many years to be under the radar. 

3 hours ago, balo said:

That's what I was wondering also... pretty surprising:

He was granted bail earlier by the Pattaya court and was allowed to leave Thailand. He stayed.

Wonder who he had to pay, and how much it cost him, to get off drug possession charges with basically nothing -- out on bail and his entire sentence suspended, even with permission to leave the country!!!

Did they give him free tickets also to the Miss Thailand International competition???

9 hours ago, Happy enough said:

prayut knew damn well england weren't going to extradite yingluck. not sure anyone even knows what passport she is using and that feeble letter from the embassy was not normal procedure for extradition, just something to fool the thai populace.

russia want this bloke back the thais will send him packing in the same way if the UK had some problem with me they'd send me packing too.

let's not even bother bringing up rbb. we all know he'll never set foot in a jail in this country

Nobody is listening his short term will be gone one day and probably pursued in a few years

11 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

wow stupid moves. Do people like this ever 'wake up' and realise they need to change their life and actions? Leaving behind a trail of murder, violence and general problems, would be a good indicator that you're not a functional person, at the very least. 

People generally do not "wake up" and change suddenly after they become set in their ways and their thinking as adults. The die is cast, the mold set. From there on, they generally don't learn from mistakes. 

13 hours ago, balo said:

He probably thought that he had Police protection in Thailand

Archived