It's your funeral! Gamblers busted playing cards behind a coffin!

webfact

It's your funeral! Gamblers busted playing cards behind a coffin!

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Police in Sadao near the border in southern Thailand raided a funeral in Prik sub-district.

In a tent behind the coffin they found dozens of men and women playing cards and the gambling game Hi-Lo.

Many fled but 25 arrests were made - 17 men and eight women, reported Daily News.

Plenty of evidence of illegal gambling was found.

Thaivisa notes that many Thais enjoy a flutter - even when sending relatives on their way to the next life.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-09

Judging by the photo playing hi-low can't be as nearly as serious and depraved as playing bridge where dozens of police and soldiers with automatic weapons, face guards and flak jackets were required to raid an elderly Pattaya bridge players club meeting. After which the culprits were carted off to the local plod station along with their walking frames and sticks and wheelchairs.

In this case the police should show some respect. These folk were just sending off one of their fellow players in the traditional manner.

14 minutes ago, flossie35 said:

It's normal here (and in Laos) to play cards at funerals.

And it was always tolerated in the past.

Don't know whether it still applies (times have changed with the killjoys).

I'm surprised they were raided??  Up my way funerals are the only times that gambling is allowed...well to be more precise its the only time the cops dont come around for their "fee".  And yes they always have a "gambling forbidden" sign outside, just as they do at the cockfighting and boxing telecasts....but I think that must apply only to the footpath under the sign, because there is always lots going on inside.   Maybe they didnt pay the "fee" ??

at my wifes grandmothers funeral they were all out the back of the temple area we had drinking and gambling every day, to be honest I thought that was just the natural thai thing to do for entertainment, get a free feed then drink and try to win some money

9 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Judging by the photo playing hi-low can't be as nearly as serious and depraved as playing bridge where dozens of police and soldiers with automatic weapons, face guards and flak jackets were required to raid an elderly Pattaya bridge players club meeting. After which the culprits were carted off to the local plod station along with their walking frames and sticks and wheelchairs.

In this case the police should show some respect. These folk were just sending off one of their fellow players in the traditional manner.

I was one of the Pattaya bridgeplayers.

There were no automatic weapons, no face guards, no flack jackets, no walking frames and no wheelchairs.

For an accurate account: http://bridgewinners.com/article/view/confessions-of-a-bridge-criminal/

Archived