BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henryford

Ubuntu or Windows 10

Just bought a new laptop which comes with Linux as the OS. Just thinking what OS to use. W10 is expensive if you want a genuine version or maybe a problem with a copy. Anyone use Ubuntu? It's free to download and some people seem to like it. How easy is it for the simple user. I would only use it for web surfing, simple spreadsheets, file storage etc but i don't want a system where i have to learn to programme it for every simple task. Are any popular apps unavailable on it?

What are you used to and what are you willing to pay for convenience?

Personally I am used to Windows and Office. I am sure I would be able to install and use Linux. But do I want to?

If you pay 5,000B for Windows and you would use that notebook for 3 years it's about 5B per day...

You might consider Linux Mint as an alternative to Ubuntu.  This is a friendlier introduction to Linux for someone who is looking for a replacement for Windows.

You can download the ISO and install it onto a DVD or USB stick for test purposes and then install it on your laptop if you like the look of it.  Latest version is 19.0.

All free and there are equivalents to just about all Windows applications.  Not so good for serious gamers but that may not bother you.

Ubunbu is a good choice. It's perhaps easier to use than Windows.

Applications are super easy to install with the AppStore application. Thousands of free apps to select from. Installation is done by one click. Apps also update themselves automatically. 

https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/features

13 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Ubunbu is a good choice.

Does it have a spell checker?

I like windows a lot more and ever since i paid for a real version i never had any problems with it. I used too use copied versions to save money. This was long ago and it always gave problems as you never know what gets installed extra on a copy. 

Anyway it all depends what its worth to you and how willing you are to change. I still think windows is great. I tried an Macbook for a while and quickly put windows on it. I hated the Mac, i did linux way back and it might work well for home users. If you have it for other reasons then windows still rules comparability wise.

I have illegal windows 10 version on a USB stick. 2 years now no issues.

It works better than original as it has a lot of spying features disabled.

Always go for a pirated version!!

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I have illegal windows 10 version on a USB stick. 2 years now no issues.

It works better than original as it has a lot of spying features disabled.

Always go for a pirated version!!

Maybe if your good with computers a pirated version is ok. But then you should really scan for keyloggers and other crap that could be installed too. So unless your real good I would not do so. I worked with pirated versions longer then I worked with paid for versions so i seen them both. As for the spy features.. you can disable them too.. plenty of how too's on the internet.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe if your good with computers a pirated version is ok. But then you should really scan for keyloggers and other crap that could be installed too. So unless your real good I would not do so. I worked with pirated versions longer then I worked with paid for versions so i seen them both. As for the spy features.. you can disable them too.. plenty of how too's on the internet.

Doesn't legit windows 10 have a key logger by default?

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Doesn't legit windows 10 have a key logger by default?

Not in the way I was talking about.. one that steals bank data. When i still used a pc for home use I did not worry too much. But now that I do more and more financial and important things with a computer I worry more. I understand what you mean with windows spyware, but you can already disable those things during installation. 

My advice is to get a copy of Windows 7 and use that - as above posted by others, there are ways and means to get it.

Windows 10 is not a great OS IMO - it is more like an Iphone OS than a computer OS.

Many disadvantages over Win7, but the big one is that Win10 updates itself to whatever and whenever it likes.

If you are OK with that, like on your Iphone, then go ahead and get Win10.

I have many applications and some legacy things that mean Win10 is not the best option, and I want to control my own computers.

There is a reason more PCs still have Win7 than Win10 and that is the big one. 

I will be sticking to Win7 for a while - until Polaris is released at least.

Hopefully Polaris comes out before Jan 2020 - when Win7 support is planned to be stopped.

35 minutes ago, robblok said:

As for the spy features.. you can disable them too..

After doing that, you could install Wireshark and see what's going on....

5 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

My advice is to get a copy of Windows 7 and use that - as above posted by others, there are ways and means to get it.

Windows 10 is not a great OS IMO - it is more like an Iphone OS than a computer OS.

Many disadvantages over Win7, but the big one is that Win10 updates itself to whatever and whenever it likes.

If you are OK with that, like on your Iphone, then go ahead and get Win10.

I have many applications and some legacy things that mean Win10 is not the best option, and I want to control my own computers.

There is a reason more PCs still have Win7 than Win10 and that is the big one. 

I will be sticking to Win7 for a while - until Polaris is released at least.

Hopefully Polaris comes out before Jan 2020 - when Win7 support is planned to be stopped. 

Thanks Elvis i like W7 too, still have it on an old machine. But does the new hardware still support W7?

27 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Have purchased three in the last 2 years all activated without problems.

win10.JPG.98356911f2743bf04892aa3e33943c13.JPG

How legit are those keys really.. because i don't understand then why its so expensive from Microsoft.