Ubuntu or Windows 10

Henryford

Just bought a new laptop which comes with Linux as the OS. Just thinking what OS to use. W10 is expensive if you want a genuine version or maybe a problem with a copy. Anyone use Ubuntu? It's free to download and some people seem to like it. How easy is it for the simple user. I would only use it for web surfing, simple spreadsheets, file storage etc but i don't want a system where i have to learn to programme it for every simple task. Are any popular apps unavailable on it?

What are you used to and what are you willing to pay for convenience?

Personally I am used to Windows and Office. I am sure I would be able to install and use Linux. But do I want to?

If you pay 5,000B for Windows and you would use that notebook for 3 years it's about 5B per day...

You might consider Linux Mint as an alternative to Ubuntu.  This is a friendlier introduction to Linux for someone who is looking for a replacement for Windows.

You can download the ISO and install it onto a DVD or USB stick for test purposes and then install it on your laptop if you like the look of it.  Latest version is 19.0.

All free and there are equivalents to just about all Windows applications.  Not so good for serious gamers but that may not bother you.

I like windows a lot more and ever since i paid for a real version i never had any problems with it. I used too use copied versions to save money. This was long ago and it always gave problems as you never know what gets installed extra on a copy. 

Anyway it all depends what its worth to you and how willing you are to change. I still think windows is great. I tried an Macbook for a while and quickly put windows on it. I hated the Mac, i did linux way back and it might work well for home users. If you have it for other reasons then windows still rules comparability wise.

2 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I have illegal windows 10 version on a USB stick. 2 years now no issues.

It works better than original as it has a lot of spying features disabled.

Always go for a pirated version!!

Maybe if your good with computers a pirated version is ok. But then you should really scan for keyloggers and other crap that could be installed too. So unless your real good I would not do so. I worked with pirated versions longer then I worked with paid for versions so i seen them both. As for the spy features.. you can disable them too.. plenty of how too's on the internet.

5 minutes ago, robblok said:

Maybe if your good with computers a pirated version is ok. But then you should really scan for keyloggers and other crap that could be installed too. So unless your real good I would not do so. I worked with pirated versions longer then I worked with paid for versions so i seen them both. As for the spy features.. you can disable them too.. plenty of how too's on the internet.

Doesn't legit windows 10 have a key logger by default?

1 minute ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Doesn't legit windows 10 have a key logger by default?

Not in the way I was talking about.. one that steals bank data. When i still used a pc for home use I did not worry too much. But now that I do more and more financial and important things with a computer I worry more. I understand what you mean with windows spyware, but you can already disable those things during installation. 

My advice is to get a copy of Windows 7 and use that - as above posted by others, there are ways and means to get it.

Windows 10 is not a great OS IMO - it is more like an Iphone OS than a computer OS.

Many disadvantages over Win7, but the big one is that Win10 updates itself to whatever and whenever it likes.

If you are OK with that, like on your Iphone, then go ahead and get Win10.

I have many applications and some legacy things that mean Win10 is not the best option, and I want to control my own computers.

There is a reason more PCs still have Win7 than Win10 and that is the big one. 

I will be sticking to Win7 for a while - until Polaris is released at least.

Hopefully Polaris comes out before Jan 2020 - when Win7 support is planned to be stopped.

5 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

My advice is to get a copy of Windows 7 and use that - as above posted by others, there are ways and means to get it.

Windows 10 is not a great OS IMO - it is more like an Iphone OS than a computer OS.

Many disadvantages over Win7, but the big one is that Win10 updates itself to whatever and whenever it likes.

I have many applications and some legacy things that mean Win10 is not the best option, and I want to control my own computers.

Hopefully Polaris comes out before Jan 2020 - when Win7 support is planned to be stopped. 

Thanks Elvis i like W7 too, still have it on an old machine. But does the new hardware still support W7?

27 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Have purchased three in the last 2 years all activated without problems.

win10.JPG.98356911f2743bf04892aa3e33943c13.JPG

How legit are those keys really.. because i don't understand then why its so expensive from Microsoft.

Just now, Henryford said:

Thanks Elvis i like W7 too, still have it on an old machine. But does the new hardware still support W7?

Yes - not a problem mate.  If I was there I could send you a USB stick copy.

Just remember to download the right version - 32bit or 64bit - the wrong one wont install.

And download from a 'reputable' site like Piratebay where the downloads are from some 'verified'  contributors and not 'scamware'.

Obviouly this means you need a PC with Chrome already working.

And if Piratebay is blocked, try Hoxx VPN (works a treat ? )

16 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Windows 10 is market leader...

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

I find it somehow funny if people suggest now Windows 7, especially with the reason that Windows 10 updates all the time and sends data "home".

If you use a PC with lots of applications and you use it on the internet then all the time lots of data is transferred over the internet. Do you really control all that data? It's impossible - or almost impossible. If anybody really wants to do that it's an enormous amount of work and even then there will be lots of data which you can't analyze yourself.

Windows 10 is better in many ways and it certainly has the better protection against viruses and other malware. Windows gets updates and many applications get updates. And that is good like that. Because if that would not happen then hackers would use the security holes in the not patched Windows and applications and that would be a lot more risk then Windows updating all the time.

14 minutes ago, robblok said:

How legit are those keys really.. because i don't understand then why its so expensive from Microsoft.

My keys all seem to be digital OEM keys used by PC builders. There was a post on here a while back about Microsoft not being too bothered about people selling Win10 OEM keys on Ebay because they want people to move on to Win10 from previous versions.

Not much to lose on a $5 Ebay purchase, if it don't work just start a Paypal charge back.

From my HTPC which has had Win10 reinstalled and activated  3 times from the original Ebay key. The motherboard details are now stored on the Microsoft activation server.

activate.JPG.7625fe98a2017a0716b8d0a7b1345f59.JPG

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Windows 10 is market leader...

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-version-market-share/windows/desktop/worldwide

I find it somehow funny if people suggest now Windows 7, especially with the reason that Windows 10 updates all the time and sends data "home".

If you use a PC with lots of applications and you use it on the internet then all the time lots of data is transferred over the internet. Do you really control all that data? It's impossible - or almost impossible. If anybody really wants to do that it's an enormous amount of work and even then there will be lots of data which you can't analyze yourself.

Windows 10 is better in many ways and it certainly has the better protection against viruses and other malware. Windows gets updates and many applications get updates. And that is good like that. Because if that would not happen then hackers would use the security holes in the not patched Windows and applications and that would be a lot more risk then Windows updating all the time.

Is that link perhaps about the share of computers sold with Win10 or Win7 in the last 12 months? 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3199373/windows-pcs/windows-by-the-numbers-windows-10s-growth-continues.html

Windows 10 in July saw continued gains in user share and should supplant Windows 7 as the most popular flavor of Windows by the end of the year.

The rest of your points are valid, but only for someone that has no IT knowledge. I was working in IT from 70s til this decade - I know what to do and how to do it. 

Once/if MSoft cancels support for Win7 (inc security patches and updates) which is scheduled for Jan2020, then I will need to change OS.

But maybe Polaris will be released by then, and maybe another OS will be a real and viable option for computyers that are owned by people that can do 'things' with them.

For someone that has only basic needs and is comfortable with Windows 7 etc. then there is no real need for Win10 and all the associated changes.

Most of what you say is 'marketing' - I know because I wrote and said such things myself when in the business.

Just now, ELVIS123456 said:

Is that link perhaps about the share of computers sold with Win10 or Win7 in the last 12 months? 

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3199373/windows-pcs/windows-by-the-numbers-windows-10s-growth-continues.html

Windows 10 in July saw continued gains in user share and should supplant Windows 7 as the most popular flavor of Windows by the end of the year.

The rest of your points are valid, but only for someone that has no IT knowledge. I was working in IT from 70s til this decade - I know what to do and how to do it. 

Once/if MSoft cancels support for Win7 (inc security patches and updates) which is scheduled for Jan2020, then I will need to change OS.

But maybe Polaris will be released by then, and maybe another OS will be a real and viable option for computyers that are owned by people that can do 'things' with them.

For someone that has only basic needs and is comfortable with Windows 7 etc. then there is no real need for Win10 and all the associated changes.

Most of what you say is 'marketing' - I know because I wrote and said such things myself when in the business.

I forgot to add something.

When someone like MSoft offers something for free (upgrade from Win7 to Win10) it definitely is good for them, more than it is for you.

Apple has recognised that it is far better to have one OS on their iPhones and another OS on their Macs.

Android is a Phone OS that struggles when put into a 'real' computer environment.

Microsoft used Win10 to remove the need for them to maintain and support a seperate phone and computer OS.

Polaris is an OS that is under development and planned to become MSoft's version of the Apple MacOSX OS used on their PCs (but things do change in the IT business)

4 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Are you sure you are still up to date when you were working in IT from the 70th?

Just looking at your first sentence. Basically nobody is officially selling Windows 7 anymore. You should know that.

I don't work with IT since the 70th but I work with Windows since it exists including now with Windows 10. And once I tried to analyze the network traffic. Did you ever try that on a modern PC (Windows 7 is modern enough)? There is an unbelievable amount of data and it is very very difficult to analyze it all - even for professionals.

I think at some stage it just makes sense to accept reality. I.e. I don't know if the NSA and/or GCHQ read my mail but I have to assume they do. And it would be a tremendous amount of work to try to prevent that. Same with internet traffic, mobile phone usage (including location data), etc. Basically we can't prevent that authorities spy on us even if we want to and even if we would spend an enormous amount of time and money on it.

My conclusion: accept reality and use modern software which works. It's not perfect but all alternatives are worse.

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Are you sure you are still up to date when you were working in IT from the 70th?

Just looking at your first sentence. Basically nobody is officially selling Windows 7 anymore. You should know that.

I don't work with IT since the 70th but I work with Windows since it exists including now with Windows 10. And once I tried to analyze the network traffic. Did you ever try that on a modern PC (Windows 7 is modern enough)? There is an unbelievable amount of data and it is very very difficult to analyze it all - even for professionals.

I think at some stage it just makes sense to accept reality. I.e. I don't know if the NSA and/or GCHQ read my mail but I have to assume they do. And it would be a tremendous amount of work to try to prevent that. Same with internet traffic, mobile phone usage (including location data), etc. Basically we can't prevent that authorities spy on us even if we want to and even if we would spend an enormous amount of time and money on it.

My conclusion: accept reality and use modern software which works. It's not perfect but all alternatives are worse.

Computerworld usually gets it right in terms of market shares etc. Any large organisation that has existing win7 OS corporate licence, can buy a new PC with Win7 preloaded, but I take your point - Win10 is getting more popular.

It is not reality to accept Win10 - you do not have to comply.  But it is up to you.

25 minutes ago, BertBert said:

Thank you very much. I just tried it on Chrome (on Windows) and it worked. 

So it will be working om Linux.

I did not know an extension existed.

Maybe after a week or a month please write a summary of your experience here.

I am sure some people will try Linux but get frustrated after a while and switch back to what they know (mostly Windows).

I live in the Netherlands and come to Thailand several months a year.

The only things I need on my laptop:
- Browser (Chrome)
- Read/write documents (Libreoffice)
- Look videos
- Whatsapp
- Facebook
- Line

About Line I was not sure.
But apparently it works in the Chrome browser.

Whatsapp and Facebook I have to try.

Until now this is enough.
Later maybe I need to cast content from my laptop to a TV. But that is not nessecary now.

the cheap windows keys being sold on internet for less than 1000 baht, while legit and will activate with no problem, is corporate keys or of some scheme for developers like MSDN obtained under false pretense and could be pulled leaving you deactivated later,  it's a risk, but you'll be paying next to nothing.

physical copies of keys with usb stick of windows 10 sold in Thai shops are actually cheaper than direct downloads from Microsoft, I found this out the hard way when building my computer, this is retail version that lets you move between computers with no restriction too, the price for Windows 10 Home in the box with usb stick is  3,990baht vs 6,199 download from Microsoft and for Pro version it's 7,290 in box vs 8,999 to download. You'll find this box (FPP version) in most reputable computer shop

for not much cheaper there's also oem licence that is supposed to be sold with new computer or hardware and will become 'attached' to the particular computer, if something broke and you have to change the mother board, you can't move this windows licence to a new computer

Archived