Don't sign anything at the police station - trust your lawyer, says lawyer

webfact

Don't sign anything at the police station - trust your lawyer, says lawyer

8bpm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A lawyer has given the benefit of his experience to Daily News readers when it comes to handing matters of compensation at police stations.

Ratchaphon Sirisakhorn gave a five point checklist to the Thai public.

This will hopefully protect people from admitting to things they didn't do and being blamed.

Daily News said that for many people going to a police station after accidents might be their first experience in such circumstances. It can be confusing and stressful.

Ratchaphon suggested the following:

1. Read everything.

2. Make sure you understand everything - don't sign if you have not grasped everything.

3. Make sure that parts that are contentious are changed properly before you sign.

4. Get a lawyer to help out.

5. Don't believe people who say they are acting in your interests. Believe your lawyer.

He also cautioned to be careful in compensation matters adding that just because you have paid compensation or agreed to pay they may be other claims that have to be dealt with.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-09

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it wasn't coming from a Thai lawyer and it happen elsewhere and not in Thailand where you're automatically guilty if you happen to be a foreigner, and where all the documents are in Thai language i'd say yes, sound advice, but, we're not elsewhere and lawyers in this country doesn't enjoy a good reputations of honest people, i know, i speak from bitter experiences, having said that, get a lawyer if you think you need one, but.....

41 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Don't sign anything at police station and don't trust your lawyer or any other Thai, says farang.

Best practise: avoid BiB at all costs.

As the poor mushroom pickers found to their cost 

9 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

i beg to differ 

the thai system is generally fair

i have always the correct help and the right ending in any of the cases i had here 

A person is right is is not worried with the system

Change the last part to; "A person is rich is is not worried with the system" and I'd totally agree

29 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

i beg to differ 

i have always the correct help and the right ending in any of the cases i had here 

What utter nonsense.

The longer I am here the more unjust I find it.

In court the teeny bop judge asked me why did I sign the document. I said I was advised to by my lawyer and he replied. Today you have learned two things trust neither an Isaan woman translator or a Thai lawyer.

40 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

i beg to differ 

If you believe what you have posted, then you have no idea of what you are talking about.

Tough choice. Sign Thai  police document as they smile at your stupidity and turn the key or call all your ex-mia nois (ha, ha) for bail money. Call your Embassy for help (another ha, ha). DON'T GET INTO TROUBLE or expect the worse.

What do you do, late on a friday night, when a police sargeant says "Sign this document or you go to jail for 3 days" !!! I had no idea what was stated in the document, all in thai, no access to a lawyer due to the timing of the incident. Actually there was no incident, I was just sitting outside a bar drinking a beer when they turned up and said "get into the truck". They then said "give us 50,000 Bht or go to jail for 3 days until court on monday". I am a highly educated and qualified scholar, who has never committed any crime, and never ever had any charges laid against me, but 3 days in  a Thai jail was not on my bucket list. I knocked them down to 40,000 Bht and was released. That is the saddest thing in this country, the Thai police can do whatever they want with complete impunity ?

Archived