Don't sign anything at the police station - trust your lawyer, says lawyer

webfact

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

If it wasn't coming from a Thai lawyer and it happen elsewhere and not in Thailand where you're automatically guilty if you happen to be a foreigner, and where all the documents are in Thai language i'd say yes, sound advice, but, we're not elsewhere and lawyers in this country doesn't enjoy a good reputations of honest people, i know, i speak from bitter experiences, having said that, get a lawyer if you think you need one, but.....

Most of them are double-headed snake.  If your opponent in court is richer than you, chances are your lawyer will be taking instructions from your opponent.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sharpjwe said:

i beg to differ 

the thai system is generally fair

i have always the correct help and the right ending in any of the cases i had here 

A person is right is is not worried with the system

Can you elaborate or are you the new Thai apologist in town?

I tell you when they throw you in a police cell on a Friday night with no word of when you are getting out you will start considering signing anything if  means getting out. the first time you go through the experience is a steep learning curve. it is good advice to have a lawyer on call before anything happens.

1 hour ago, sharpjwe said:

i beg to differ 

the thai system is generally fair

i have always the correct help and the right ending in any of the cases i had here 

A person is right is is not worried with the system

Are you a lawyer?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Read everything.

2. Make sure you understand everything - don't sign if you have not grasped everything.

3. Make sure that parts that are contentious are changed properly before you sign.

4. Get a lawyer to help out.

5. Don't believe people who say they are acting in your interests. Believe your lawyer.

And if none of the above work console yourself with the prospect of getting some appearance money for being on CH5's Banged up Abroad .. Eventually ..

40 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

What do you do, late on a friday night, when a police sargeant says "Sign this document or you go to jail for 3 days" !!! I had no idea what was stated in the document, all in thai, no access to a lawyer due to the timing of the incident. Actually there was no incident, I was just sitting outside a bar drinking a beer when they turned up and said "get into the truck". They then said "give us 50,000 Bht or go to jail for 3 days until court on monday". I am a highly educated and qualified scholar, who has never committed any crime, and never ever had any charges laid against me, but 3 days in  a Thai jail was not on my bucket list. I knocked them down to 40,000 Bht and was released. That is the saddest thing in this country, the Thai police can do whatever they want with complete impunity ?

Quite hard to believe.

Ratchaphon suggested the following:

1. Read everything.

2. Make sure you understandeverything -

I couldn’t read any word if all is written in Thai language!.

42 minutes ago, phantomfiddler said:

What do you do, late on a friday night, when a police sargeant says "Sign this document or you go to jail for 3 days" !!! I had no idea what was stated in the document, all in thai, no access to a lawyer due to the timing of the incident. Actually there was no incident, I was just sitting outside a bar drinking a beer when they turned up and said "get into the truck". They then said "give us 50,000 Bht or go to jail for 3 days until court on monday". I am a highly educated and qualified scholar, who has never committed any crime, and never ever had any charges laid against me, but 3 days in  a Thai jail was not on my bucket list. I knocked them down to 40,000 Bht and was released. That is the saddest thing in this country, the Thai police can do whatever they want with complete impunity ?

Really? Can you give us some more details? Where and when did this happen? Was any reason given for picking you up? Was it an alcohol ban day? It's hard to imagine cops just grabbing someone halfway through enjoying a cold beer for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

A Farang that cannot read Thai, is asked to pay 2000 baht compensation for whatever. The Farang asks a lawyer to help read the statement. Receives lawyer`s fee for 20000 baht.

In other words, a Farang if caught up in such a situation, loses both ways.

I'm guessing,  like accountants,  lots of masquerading lawyers around too.

Ask to see there licence and check there number. Never had to do it but I'm guessing the courts should have access to a database of registered lawyers.

I do not trust a lawyer anywhere, much less here, where the judicial system is completely broken. Even more broken than the system in the US. And that is broken. However, signing anything at a police station, other than a statement having admitted you lost your ATM card, or something tiny like that, is not wise. Always remember one thing. They are not law enforcement officials. They are revenue collection agents. 

How much of a defense is it, when they put the kettle on, get out the plastic bags,

and the telephone  book.we have ways of making you talk 

Trust your lawyer....I trusted mine until he defrauded me of nearly £100 K,with his

other clients,he got nearly £2 million, and 4 years in jail.

regards worgeordie

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

If it wasn't coming from a Thai lawyer and it happen elsewhere and not in Thailand where you're automatically guilty if you happen to be a foreigner, and where all the documents are in Thai language i'd say yes, sound advice, but, we're not elsewhere and lawyers in this country doesn't enjoy a good reputations of honest people, i know, i speak from bitter experiences, having said that, get a lawyer if you think you need one, but.....

Never trust anything to do with courts in Thailand. I won a case in court against a Thai, then about three weeks later, my lawyer emailed me to say the judge changed her mind, that was it, nothing could be done about it.

12 minutes ago, maximillian said:

Maybe a lawyer or a judge ?

When I was involving myself with a deal with someone (details private) we came to a sticking point over a matter of trust. He said "you can trust me,  I was a senator for the Thai government "

I said " I trust my mother "

1 hour ago, gaff said:

Quite hard to believe.

I don't think it is, what about cou

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Really? Can you give us some more details? Where and when did this happen? Was any reason given for picking you up? Was it an alcohol ban day? It's hard to imagine cops just grabbing someone halfway through enjoying a cold beer for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Isn't it also hard to believe that a Thai judge can change her mind about a verdict after about three weeks?

Archived