Don't sign anything at the police station - trust your lawyer, says lawyer

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What do you do, late on a friday night, when a police sargeant says "Sign this document or you go to jail for 3 days" !!! 

You turn on facebook live, twatter, all the other BS "social" media. To get anything done in this circus of a country, you need to shame the goons into submission.  Remember to hashtag all the loudest screamers like feminists, gays, etc. 

I've got an old retired Thai military lawyer here.  Originally found him, looking for an english speaking notary for some documents that had to be addressed and sent back to Canada.  

The guy is salt of the earth.  An interesting straight shooter with a sense of humor, about 90% perfect english, fees are more than reasonable.  On more than one occasion he's stepped up and crushed/completed a situation by text, or quick chat on the phone (with me or whomever I was dealing).   Ruthlessly efficient.   Better relationship than my bottom feeders back home...

I have him direct on LineApp...

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

What do you do, late on a friday night, when a police sargeant says "Sign this document or you go to jail for 3 days" !!! I had no idea what was stated in the document, all in thai, no access to a lawyer due to the timing of the incident. Actually there was no incident, I was just sitting outside a bar drinking a beer when they turned up and said "get into the truck". They then said "give us 50,000 Bht or go to jail for 3 days until court on monday". I am a highly educated and qualified scholar, who has never committed any crime, and never ever had any charges laid against me, but 3 days in  a Thai jail was not on my bucket list. I knocked them down to 40,000 Bht and was released. That is the saddest thing in this country, the Thai police can do whatever they want with complete impunity ?

I had a similar experience. locked up in a police cell on a Friday night for having the address wrong in my work permit. many calls to friends got a lawyer to arrange 50 000thb bail and I got out 2am Saturday morning am sure their plan was to keep me locked up till Monday morning. I was a bit shocked by it all.

What if it’s a Sunday and he lawyers are closed ? 

What if you sign you can get bail straight away or spend the weekend in custody waiting for a lawyer ?

what to do if your lawyer is not available 

little optikns 

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

wouldn't trust any lawyer anywhere, especially here.

You've got that right. I got royally screwed by a lawyer here in Thailand. There are good ones too. They got me out of the fix the first one got me into.

A senior judge actually told me not to trust lawyers. That's quite an endorsement.

Never trust anything to do with courts in Thailand. I won a case in court against a Thai, then about three weeks later, my lawyer emailed me to say the judge changed her mind, that was it, nothing could be done about it.

Really? After winning a trial, the judge changues her decision? How is it possible? Can’t believe it!
?

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Don't sign anything at police station and don't trust your lawyer or any other Thai, says farang.

Best practise: avoid BiB at all costs.

There primitive but if they get a angle and think which is hard. You can run into a issue. Generally there controllable 

5 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Sound advice for all of us. . (except of course, for those who find something wrong with everything, no matter what the principle of the advice is).

Totally agree.  Perhaps those who have suffered, apparently unjustly,  could chime in with some good advice in what should really be done when interacting with the Thai justice system rather than sitting back smugly throwing one liners out there to increase their post count. 

This forum can be a good place for information...... How about some positive advice? 

7 hours ago, ezzra said:

If it wasn't coming from a Thai lawyer and it happen elsewhere and not in Thailand where you're automatically guilty if you happen to be a foreigner, and where all the documents are in Thai language i'd say yes, sound advice, but, we're not elsewhere and lawyers in this country doesn't enjoy a good reputations of honest people, i know, i speak from bitter experiences, having said that, get a lawyer if you think you need one, but.....

Time to make up your mind ezzra… Or do you engage a foreign lawyer (outside Thailand) to advise you whether to engage a lawyer in Thailand?

4 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

Can you elaborate or are you the new Thai apologist in town?

We does Thai need an apologist? 

Perhaps the poster is a free thinker and is relaying his actual experiences, not regurgitating bar stool/ TVF myths? 

I cannot really comment on Thai lawyers as I have never had the need to deal with one.  I plan to keep it that way. 

The only comments I can make is the jails are full of innocent people..... Just ask them.

And if you don't trust the police then the next time you need help call a criminal. 

BTW I DO know some Thai cops and decent people they are. Not saying all cops are decent but these guys are.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

A politician.:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

I read somewhere that a lawyer is the larval stage of a politician. 

I also read the question " what is the difference between a dead dog on the road and a dead lawyer...... There are skid marks in front if the dog"

4 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Ratchaphon suggested the following:

1. Read everything.

2. Make sure you understandeverything -

I couldn’t read any word if all is written in Thai language!.

Don't sign it!!! Nothing more to say!!!

1 hour ago, BigC said:

What if it’s a Sunday and he lawyers are closed ? 

What if you sign you can get bail straight away or spend the weekend in custody waiting for a lawyer ?

what to do if your lawyer is not available 

little optikns 

What if what you sign is admission of guilt of a murder?  I'll take the lawyer option or the weekend inside thanks. 

I will not sign anything I cannot understand. 

6 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

We does Thai need an apologist? 

Perhaps the poster is a free thinker and is relaying his actual experiences, not regurgitating bar stool/ TVF myths? 

I cannot really comment on Thai lawyers as I have never had the need to deal with one.  I plan to keep it that way. 

The only comments I can make is the jails are full of innocent people..... Just ask them.

And if you don't trust the police then the next time you need help call a criminal. 

BTW I DO know some Thai cops and decent people they are. Not saying all cops are decent but these guys are.

I have extensiv first hand knowledge withThai lawyers.  I filed complaints with the Lawyer's Council of Thailand about two of them. One got his licence suspended for a year and one had to pay me compensation and I got it. So I call him a Thai apologist until he elaborates.

2 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

I have extensiv first hand knowledge withThai lawyers.  I filed complaints with the Lawyer's Council of Thailand about two of them. One got his licence suspended for a year and one had to pay me compensation and I got it. So I call him a Thai apologist until he elaborates.

You little rippa. Can you share more details on this very juicy story? 

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't think it is, what about cou

Isn't it also hard to believe that a Thai judge can change her mind about a verdict after about three weeks?

It is possible that the judge could have changed her mind after three days, and my lawyer

took three weeks to tell me, this was about twelve years ago.

5 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

It is possible that the judge could have changed her mind after three days, and my lawyer

took three weeks to tell me, this was about twelve years ago.

Maybe threats or money helped her change her mind.

"Lawyer" is derived from the Latin Word "Liar". A lawyer is an employee of the Court which is why they need a bar card to practice, so the Judge, the Prosecutor, the clerk of the court all work for the "profit" corporation masquerading as a "Court". so Lawyers actually dupe clients into thinking they will help or benefit the client when in fact they are first and foremost catering to the court and making sure the court get's what they want. The whole process is a take from start to finish. A lawyer would never instruct you to "Not Consent", "Demand a Jury Trial" or to never accept to represent the Legal Name Fiction Corporation that was formed at birth with your birth certificate

52 minutes ago, stud858 said:

Maybe threats or money helped her change her mind.

Yes, people said that to me at the time, but let me say that I never gained or lost financially apart

from the 10000 Bt lawyers fee.

Archived