Qatar vs Emirates Economy

t8769

Interesting.

Qatar is much cheaper than Emirates and does not charge to book a preferred seat in advance.  

Though it may be worth paying all the extra money for a seat upstairs on the A380, I am getting a little old to squeeze in the cheap seats.

At least its not the old days, when you had to wait for the two movies to be played and then try to see the screen over people's heads.

6 hours ago, blazes said:

If this is true and not a joke, it doesn't reflect too well on your sense of humour (to put it as kindly as possible).

She and I both think it's funny.  I have no interest in what other people think about it. She is the one insisting on travelling economy.  She knows the value of a baht. If I was paying for my flight she would make sure I was in economy also.  But I don't and I'm not.

Deal with it. 

16 hours ago, Wiggy said:

3-4-3 on a B777 is crap, but the A380 is wider (as is the A350) so no big deal for me with 3-4-3. I recall when the B777 first came out most airlines were 3-3-3, but many have gone to 3-4-3 which is bad news, but upstairs on the Emirates A380 it's 2-4-2 so a bit more amenable (but this is only on their 2-class aircraft). I agree though that Emirates' service has deteriorated somewhat from their early days. I went with EVA Air most recently to London and they were good as they still have 3-3-3 on that route. Always good to look at https://www.seatguru.com to see what you're getting.

Also now  in economy  you cannot choose  a  seat without paying for it until about 48 hours before the gate opens and then you can only  choose the crud thats  left.

When I used to go with them economy Id  always ask at check in for emergency exits as they werent  allowed to assign them until check in. 9 times out of 10 I could get one.

In business they started forgetting i was  there, forgetting the "welcome drink" and when I asked for something had to ask more than once on numerous occasions, then there were economy  passengers wandering into business to "exercise" including young children which the hostesses failed to spot, broken TV in business which they said wasnt broken in a written response to me and that wasnt the First class broken tv either this was another one.

Sometimes the priority boarding "wasnt".

The  thing is if you are  offering a "priority" service and PAYING a  substantial premium.............its  crap.

I used them for about 5-6  years Business and told them several times it was  getting bad but  just got  the brush off so dumped them.

In 2005 they were quite  good but then expanded way too much and it  all went  South.

AT Birmingham airport my home town sometimes  Id  arrive to check in at the premium lane and they opened economy first leaving me standing there until someone arrived.

On the newer 2  class A380 there is also the case that they have to get off the economy passengers first now  on the  upper  deck so you have to wait for them to get off before you can.

They also now let anyone use their lounges if you pay so Mr and Mrs  riff  raff can pay and let their brats etc run round the lounges.

Flew 2 legs on Qatar for the first time just a couple of days ago.

First leg was on a 777, and the 3-4-3 seating in economy felt very cramped.

Second leg was on an A350-900 with 3-3-3 seating, which felt more spacious and comfortable.

Both planes appeared to be new, and in excellent interior condition. Food was better than expected, and there was a decent entertainment system with a good selection of movies.

Qatar typically has some of the lowest fares on the USA - Bangkok routes, all connecting through Doha (which has a modern, well-designed airport).

On 8/10/2018 at 7:53 AM, jamie2009 said:

Wine is not served in individual bottles on the flights from the UK, yes there are Meal choices but these are dietary meals. Before there were other choices over and above the Dietary Meal selection.

i have no complaints about Emirates food, probably the best airline food I have eaten.

I have travelled Business Class with Emirates, the food Menu is the same, the only difference is it’s served on a plate rather than a tin foil tray.

Airport Security, when I arrive in the UK I never have to go through airport security when going for a connecting flight.

Having the opportunity to travel and work abroad globally the only place I ever had to go through security was in Kazakhstan where your baggage was checked for drugs.

i am not complaining, just making comments !!!!!!! Hi 

You have to go through security whilst changing planes at every airport i have flow through. I cant say for Doha because i haven't flown through there. But Heathrow for sure you do. If you remember that guy who tried to blow up or set fire to plane over the US a few years back. He connected through Schippol if i am not mistaken and there was no security then between connections. There is now for sure. 

I have had a  love hate relationship with Emirates over the years. I have been flying them for years. I was actually on their second ever flight. I think it basically comes down to the luck of the draw. If you are on a packed flight either a 777 or 380 its never nice and the flight is not a pleasant experience. On the other hand if the plane is empty its not bad.

If you are talking about food then every airline is crap even in business class. The food is much better in the lounges before boarding except in the EK lounge in Dubai. Again its crap (Worst breakfast known to man). My personal choice is to eat before boarding somewhere. 

I haven't had much experience on Qatar. A few flights. I don't rate them to be honest on my limited trips.

Another option is Gulf Air depending on your end destination. I am travelling them next week. First time in years. They were way cheaper on a flight DXB to BKK. Same for business as the EK economy fare. Leave an hour earlier and arrive an hour later. I can put up with that. 

On 8/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, 1337markus said:

Some miss truths here. I fly Emirates every month to Russia or Africa. Wine is served in small bottles , I prefer red and they normally have a French and Australian one to choose from. Meals well you can still select a special meal when checking in on line. Standard meals in economy are a choice of two types of dishes. If you want better I suggest you upgrade to business class. Every airport you arrive at and transfer you go through security again, Chiangi, Bangkok , Moscow why should Dubai be any different. Maybe you should go back and fly with BA then you will have reasons to complain!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flown through Chiangi and Bangkok recently and did not have to go through security again when transferring. Also not at Taipei or Hong Kong. On my way to Dubai next week maybe it will be different.

15 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Flown through Chiangi and Bangkok recently and did not have to go through security again when transferring. Also not at Taipei or Hong Kong. On my way to Dubai next week maybe it will be different.

I went through security after deplaning in Dubai in May.

3 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

If you're connecting on an international flight in Hong Kong you will go through security again. I did this connection at least 16 times in the last 4 years.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/passenger-guide/transfer-transit/

Couple of months back we travelled back to the US on Qatar.

The initial leg to Doha when I booked it was supposed to be on an A380. Turned out to be on an aging A340-600. I have never had a more horrible 6 hours on a plane. Never end up in row 19 on these appalling planes, the seats don't recline.

This was a 2am flight, so obviously people want to sleep. Literally after the folks in front of us reclined their seats my face was 6 inches from the back of their seat.

I'm not a big guy, I often joke I'm sized for Asian airlines, but the seat pitch was ridiculous and cramped.

The second leg to Chicago was on a 777, which was like heaven compared to the nightmare we'd just endured

Archived