How to stop procrastinating weight goals?

Jillie Norman

My sister has gained quite a number of pounds this past year.  We are encouraging her to do something about it, for we find it unhealthy and she does not seem to look good in it.  She will often say yes and be enthusiastic about it at first but then will have many excuses to not continue... How can we help her stop her procrastination and stick on to losing weight and be back to her usual healthy form? 

I'm a recovered Alcoholic...nobody (and I mean nobody) could help me stop drinking until me , myself, was so sick and tired of being sick and tired (and a lot of other s - - t) that I was willing to accept help. Even after getting the help...it took another 30 years to consider myself "recovered"...am about 17 years sober at time of writing.

All I can say to you is the following...."I didn't stop until my time was up".

PS.....I am one hell of a believer in "Prayer"...My HP ( Higher Power,  or some call God) could do for me what I couldn't do for myself.

PPS....The sister is one very lucky person to have people who care so much for her....my most favourite word in the English language is "support". One doesn't know how important it is until you haven't got any when you need it. In the meantime maybe all you can do for her is be available...when and if the time comes when she asks for help.

I'm three months into trying to get under 100 kgs by my 60th in mid-November. I'm on track having lost 12.5 kgs to date. What has got me focused is that I could recall meeting (or seeing) m/any obese or very overweight 65 year olds, and personally I'd like to live a bit beyond that. Perhaps I'll share how I did once I make that initial 60th birthday goal, and I will, even if I have to cut something off.

20 minutes ago, BoganInParasite said:

Perhaps I'll share how I did once I make that initial 60th birthday goal, and I will, even if I have to cut something off

Would love to hear your story.  

Looking for tips on how to stop procrastination makes me think, is it really her problem? or is she depressed? I remember she started to gain weight after she broke up with her fiance.  She caught him cheating, but we've never seen her cry over it, got angry, or even talked about it.  I read an article online on how to get over a breakup.  She had never undergone the process and maybe she is still in pain.  I'm thinking of ways to help her pour out what she really feels. 

I agree with Dotpoom, she will not find a mechanism to lose weight until she wants to do it for her, not to be mistaken for saying she will do it to make you happy.

What you can do is continue to support her and dont pander weakness. I found tht my desire to change and my wife's unwaivering support was my key to success. My wife was always honest with me and made me confront my issues, but she always made it clear that she loved me but not necessarily my behaviours.

Good luck to her and well done for supporting her.

A hard one.. especially trying to change  someone else behavior.. ..  the trick is to overcome the voices in your (their) head saying .. 'its ok ..  I'll start tomorrow'..    I believe everyone has these voices.. that undermine your (their) best intentions.. Support groups may help.. but in the end it comes down to them wanting to make the change and doing the work themselves..  From my work with many people over many years I have found that very few want to make the changes necessary to improve their lives ... there is comfort in familiar habits..  Encouragement to associate with others wanting to make change is important.. Good luck..  

My sister is way overweight, been that way for years. For decades people shamed her and thought she should lose weight to be a healthy life. Now she has brain cancer, same as the senator from Arizona; she could have starved herself for years to please others and she'd still have a death sentence from brain cancer. Leave your sister alone with her weight, she'll probably die from something else.

3 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

My sister is way overweight, been that way for years. For decades people shamed her and thought she should lose weight to be a healthy life. Now she has brain cancer, same as the senator from Arizona; she could have starved herself for years to please others and she'd still have a death sentence from brain cancer. Leave your sister alone with her weight, she'll probably die from something else.

Isnt it possible that being over weight, unhealthy sedentary lifestyle, could be a contributing factor in the cancer, or other medical conditions.. 

On 8/14/2018 at 3:51 AM, AsiaHand said:

It takes" SELF DISCIPLINE" which most people do not have. The same thing with people quitting smoking or any other nasty and/or dangerous habit.

Finding the correct diet plan can really help with the self-discipline.  I suggest exploring Keto or lo/no carb or fasting.  These are much easier than the old fashioned portion control or calorie counting which leave the hunger mechanism on HIGH.  Eliminating the hunger is the key.  I found many different advices about dieting left me hungry and unhappy which is no place to be at all!  I especially hate the have a healthy breakfast group!  I gave up breakfast years ago (never ever liked it my whole life) and found that not having breakfast greatly reduced my appetite and hunger all day.  

It is hard to wade thru all the advice but this worked for me.  I took off 41 lbs of fat and it has stayed off 3 years.  I am skipping breakfast this morning as always and heading off for a nice walk before it gets hot.  I really wish the OP the best with her sister.

If I might ask; was your sister and the "ex" physically intimite often? It may be a contributing factor to the weight gain as she may have replaced those "great feeling exersise" times with comfort food.

Now, before anyone jumps on me for being a perv, check it out. Regular sexual encounters releases chemicals in the body called endorphines because it helps you to be happy. Comfort food is a substitute for the happy without the endorphine release and physical exertion. Hence, weight gain.

My wife was never that into it but obliged me whenever I wanted it. Over the years as we've both grown older, she has been less and less "obliging" and I started to gain weight. It's now been longer than I care to mention and I have added nearly 20kg without ever changing anything else if my life. Food nor drink. I'm not as happy but love her and understand that I'm just "more inclined" to that form of exercise than she is.

Maybe your sister is going through similar feelings but at a highly excellerated pace. (mine was over yrs, hers was rather abrupt?) You don't mention age but maybe she needs something along those lines to start turning her self image around again.

Just something to think about - another angle as it were.  :wai:

It is a mind set that need to be changed.

Check first if she has no medical cause.

when thst is not the case she need to change her mind.

I have seen people lose steady weight from 140 kg to 95 kg by just change the mind set. All slowly and steady by lose max 4 kg per month.

Change the sugar and fat intake.

Avoid light drinks they make hungry.

Eat 3 times per day and avoid snacks.

Cut the crappy carbs, white flour... Breads, cookies, cakes, white rice. 

Eat proteins, vegetables, fruits watermelon and pineapple. 

2 Tablespoon soaked chia seeds, pea protein powder, ground flax seeds, yogurt in the morning with a slightly green banana... And 1/4 c. Oats soaked... Very Delicious and filling. 

Lost 10kg easily in less than 2 months. 

10 hour intermittent fasting diet. Very simple to follow: simply limit daily calorie intake to a 10 hour window. No calorie counting, no obsessing about portion size. Changes your relationship with food. May provide your sister with high degree of motivation because weight loss results can be seen almost immediately.

Forget diets. Clean out cupboards and fridge down to a few items she enjoys eating. The first thing is reducing intake. Get used to pushing the plate away after one waffle instead of two or three. Keep some snacks around so you are eating four small meals instead of three giant ones. Eat at home. Avoid all restaurants. Swim. It's easy on your body. Easy on your wallet. Would you rather have the body of a runner, wrestler, shot put thrower, or swimmer?

On 8/14/2018 at 2:49 PM, BoganInParasite said:

I'm three months into trying to get under 100 kgs by my 60th in mid-November. I'm on track having lost 12.5 kgs to date. What has got me focused is that I could recall meeting (or seeing) m/any obese or very overweight 65 year olds, and personally I'd like to live a bit beyond that. Perhaps I'll share how I did once I make that initial 60th birthday goal, and I will, even if I have to cut something off.

Looking forward to reading your story, keep it up.

I lost 26kg 3 years ago and have managed to keep it off. It took around 18 months to lose to weight, all I done was excercise, cut down on junk food and beer. Note: I didn’t cut out only  cut down ?. What got me started was I was fed up taking medicince for blood pressure, cholesterol and a few others tablets, then was told I was borderline diabetic. Now sitting at 76kg and hitting 60 years old soon too. My wife was a big motivator for me to get healthy. We joined a gym and walking/jogging group together which we still do. Oh and no medication now so that was a huge financial saving. Still do my regular health checks but all has been good since the weight came off. Also found my golf improved once the weight came off which was a bonus.

As another poster said support is a big part of it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Vegetables and organic products have a few properties that make them viable for weight reduction, they contain couple of calories yet a great deal of fiber, their high water content gives them low vitality thickness, making them extremely filling...

Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 12:29 PM, Jason1122 said:

Vegetables and organic products have a few properties that make them viable for weight reduction, they contain couple of calories yet a great deal of fiber, their high water content gives them low vitality thickness, making them extremely filling...

http://foundationhorseman.com.au/

• 3 weeks later...

I've been active  in the field of nutrition and weight management for the last 27 years, and still I can say it is not that easy to get (and keep!) a fit and healthy body. Especially for those who living in the Sin city in the middle of many temptations. ????About your sister (and many people in the same situation), tips and advises such as ''check your scale everyday'', ''eat that, stop to eat that'', ''go to run'' or ''it is called self-discipline'' are, in my opinion, useless. For the simple reason that she perfectly knows that already (and she probably tried several 'miracle diet'). Don't get me wrong, i believe all of these tips can work, but not for everyone and certainly not on a long run.

I think it is not about self-discipline but actually about self-esteem and education. No one can be blamed about lack of knowledge in nutrition because we were never taught about it (though bad eating habit is so far the main cause of premature death, as it is linked to 50% of cardio vascular diseases and cancers). And because of that lack of knowledge we have a developed a wrong relationship with the food. Today, we eat both because we're happy (over eating/drinking) or sad (bulimia/anorexia). We eat because it taste good or smell good or because it is cheap, or to celebrate something with friends. Some even take a fly to go to eat somewhere! Ok that's fine. But when do we eat to feed the 'body machine' with the ingredients that it really needs? Think about it, we know when it is time to charge our smartphone (and we got crazy if it is broken) and how to maintain our car in function, but how about our body, a much more complex machine?  The big difference is you can change your cell phone, buy a new car or even change your partner...but you cannot change your buddy body. You have to live in it until the end and it is your best ally to bring you alive and healthy as long as possible.

Once you become aware about that, your self-esteem starts to grow and you want to know how to take care of yourself. That's why during my consultations, I spend much more time focusing on 'why do you eat?' rather than 'what do you eat?'. Anyway it is a too important topic that needs longer explanation but to make it shorter I'll say your sister should start to read more and more about personal development, self-esteem, (also why doing some meditation), etc and follow some informative website about food and health to increase her interest, her motivation and her knowledge (for example, dr.axe.com, naturalnews.com, etc). Believe me, once she got it, nothing will stop her ????

Good luck to her anyway, and congrats to you for trying to help her

Coach

Archived