UK voters should make final Brexit decision if talks with EU collapse: poll

webfact

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It means that just Farage said it. Nobody else. Another referendum would never have happened if remain had won, even by 1%. And the leave voters would have accepted the result like the good democrats we are - unlike the remainers!

Don’t forget this guy mentioned a second referendum as well some time back:

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 minutes ago, Orac said:

Don’t forget this guy mentioned a second referendum as well some time back:

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't remember it because I never saw it. Looks like this is may be as recent as 2011! Rees-Mogg was pushing for an EU referendum for ages. Of course, when it came to it, Cameron did not say there would be a second referendum on the so-called final outcome - and nobody complained then, did they? 

7 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

The people should have the right to vote on any final deal. 

They will always have the right to vote on their parliament representation.

They vest as a majority in elected parliament the authority to pursue and protect their well-being and safety.

A nonbinding referendum is fine to test public opinion, but so is the pubic contacting their representatives directly to express any satisfaction or dissatisfaction with their representatives, ie., in Brexit negotiations.

That is democracy.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Ha ha ha, love the brexiteers claiming the result of a democratic vote, means you can never have another vote on the issue. 

Why would you deny the people a vote on what brexit ultimately looks like?

Because they know the way another vote would go.  Why else would they be so scared of it?  However the vote would be whether to accept the negotiated deal or not which is exactly what the Brexiteers should want.  After all they have been let down by the people who are trying and failing to get the Brexit they voted for.  This not about the remainers, they lost the referendum.  If you voted leave and you are not going to get what you voted for then you should have the opportunity to reject it.   

What we do know though is that they will shy away from that and accept whatever bad deal they are given.

9 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

They will always have the right to vote on their parliament representation.

They vest as a majority in elected parliament the authority to pursue and protect their well-being and safety.

A nonbinding referendum is fine to test public opinion, but so is the pubic contacting their representatives directly to express any satisfaction or dissatisfaction with their representatives, ie., in Brexit negotiations.

That is democracy.

Still doesn’t mean there can’t be another vote or those calling for one are wrong to do so 

19 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Believe what you like.

Denying the right to a vote is the brexiteer way after all. 

And denying the result of a public vote is the remainers. 

Don't know where the op done the poll on the 50% figures but yesterday at a retirement reunion we had a straw poll between ourselves on Brexit 7 out of 10 were still adamant on it and one said his head was swimming with all the crap about it and was now not bothered either way. So not exactly 50% as the op states where I am from.

As a side also had a Burka poll - that was a resounding 10/10 that it should be banned in UK

Just now, Lokie said:

Don't know where the op done the poll on the 50% figures but yesterday at a retirement reunion we had a straw poll between ourselves on Brexit 7 out of 10 were still adamant on it and one said his head was swimming with all the crap about it and was now not bothered either way. So not exactly 50% as the op states where I am from.

As a side also had a Burka poll - that was a resounding 10/10 that it should be banned in UK

Who’s denying the result?

9 hours ago, Rally123 said:

The people made their decision. Remoaner clutching at straws again? 

The "people" stated an opinion.

The government made the decision based upon that opinion.

The Government and Parliament may unmake that decision anytime they please ( with or without a referendum) because that is the way that the law and the constitution work.

The only time that the people can make a decision that must be acted upon (by law and constitution) is during a General Election.

We shall have to wait and see what the Government and Parliament make of the opinion polls (or "referendum")........."when the time comes".

That is not "Remoaning".

That is fact.

That is hard, political reality.

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The "people" stated an opinion.

The government made the decision based upon that opinion.

The Government and Parliament may unmake that decision anytime they please because that is the way that the law and the constitution work.

The only time that the people can make a decision that must be acted upon (by law and constitution) is during a General Election.

We shall have to wait and see what the Government and Parliament make of the opinion polls........."when the time comes".

That is not "Remoaning".

That is fact.

That is hard, political reality.

What part of the Governments comment of, "This is your decision, the government will impliment what you decide" don't you understand.

9 minutes ago, Lokie said:

And there you have it!  The people overwhelmingly voting for Brexit were the older generation and quit honestly that is part of the problem.  It is about the future of the country and that should be down to the young and not the retired (I am one of them, old enough to be retired).  As for the Burka poll, why am I not surprised.  Thankfully your opinions are housed in the retirement world and they will eventually die away.

1 minute ago, vogie said:

What part of the Governments comment of, "This is your decision, the government will impliment what you decide" don't you understand.

I don't think that quote was legally binding... 

But I do see problems with a new referendum. It would be very divisive and it is quite hard to formulate the question.

Another leave or remain doesn't make much sense since you had that already.

A third option? What would that be?

Nobody knows yet what will happen. The Chequers plan is clearly (and for good reasons) unacceptable to the EU. So nobody can tell what a third option would be and it might still take a lot of time if the EU and the UK agree on a "blind Brexit".

Turnout for the referendum was a bit over two thirds of the electorate eligible to vote.

Just over half of those voting chose to leave.

So the proportion of the electorate choosing to vote leave was actually a bit more than one third.

So just under TWO THIRDS of the electorate DID NOT vote for Brexit.

A good example of why voting should be compulsory.

18 minutes ago, vogie said:

Well I understand that but once again, the government have not implemented what the people voted for.  However the Brexiteers appear to be fine with that.

6 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

I don't think that quote was legally binding... 

But I do see problems with a new referendum. It would be very divisive and it is quite hard to formulate the question.

Another leave or remain doesn't make much sense since you had that already.

A third option? What would that be?

Nobody knows yet what will happen. The Chequers plan is clearly (and for good reasons) unacceptable to the EU. So nobody can tell what a third option would be and it might still take a lot of time if the EU and the UK agree on a "blind Brexit".

As far as I can see there is no third option, we voted to remain within the EU or leave, the majority voted to leave. It is up to our respective leaders to get the best 'deal' they can, if both sides cannot agree on a deal that is advantagious to both sides (whatever their reasons may be) we will just have to part.

1 minute ago, dunroaming said:

Well I understand that but once again, the government have not implemented what the people voted for.  However the Brexiteers appear to be fine with that.

Brexiteers may not be fine with that, what do you want us to do, say we don't want to leave anymore. 

Good to see you are not as angry today.?

Archived