Big Joke turfs out more than 70 foreigners - champion had near six year overstay

webfact

Big Joke turfs out more than 70 foreigners - champion had near six year overstay

Pictures: Thai Tourist Police Bureau

9_180810_0116-1024x682.jpg

The latest "X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner" campaign - number 20 in the series - has turned up dozens of foreigners on overstay and illegal entry charges.

And eighteen schools were raided for illegals including three international schools and 2 language institutes.

Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal - the darling of the Thai media known as Big Joke - was speaking at 2 am this morning just around the corner from Khao San Road outside the Chana Songkhram Police Station.

9_180810_0102-1024x682.jpg

The deputy commissioner of the Thai Tourist police was shown on his website in several pictures.

Eleven foreigners were arrested for overstaying their visas. The TPB named the top three who were:

1. Irina Mesheryakova, 40, from Uzbekistan. Living in Chonburi she had overstayed almost six years - 2,002 days.

2. Tynkkyen Marko Samuel, 39, a Finnish national arrested in Udon Thani on three years overstay - 1,101 days.

3. Shivdayal Mahi Tiwari, 33 living in Bangkok on 1,057 days overstay - nearly three years.

The nationality of others on overstay was not given.

9_180810_0090-1024x682.jpg

Forty six people were arrested for illegal entry - 23 from Myanmar, India 9, Cambodia 7, Laos 5 and Vietnam 2 people.

Ten Myanmar natives, three Thais and one Nigerian were arrested on other matters.

9_180810_0113-1024x682.jpg

In total 75 places were raided. This number included 13 regular schools, three international schools and two English language schools.

9_180810_0001-1024x475.jpg

Source: Thai Tourist Police Bureau

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-08-10

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

Just making it harder and more complicated for people who actually follow the rules to be with their wife or legitimately want to retire here. 

The Spouse visa and retirement visa will not be affected by these overstayers

2 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Just making it harder and more complicated for people who actually follow the rules to be with their wife or legitimately want to retire here. 

How is removing overstayers making it harder and more complicated for the rest of us?

23 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

It's a sign of the time; more and more countries getting tougher on people who don't follow the rules. Just watched a clip on Youtube about Australia kicking out unwanted New Zealanders: criminals, wife-beaters, biker-gang members (who weren't even convicted of any crime). And these two countries have close ties...

22 minutes ago, Maverell said:

How is removing overstayers making it harder and more complicated for the rest of us?

Indirectly, cause it's possible that officials and lawmakers decide to toughen up the rules for the law-abiding folk too: higher financial and other requirements, shorter visa extension periods... With so much publicity towards the 'outlawed foreigners', a certain public image and opinions are created.

1 minute ago, sammieuk1 said:

Its great to have the BJ back in the news and as a Big fan of "BJ's" his absence this week has been sadly missed but now thoroughly justified in chucking  out these heinous criminals?

Heinous criminals? Overstaying a visa, is most certainly against the law and also pretty stupid, but hardly heinous. Taking low hanging fruit, for quick headlines, is how I would describe this and I would far prefer to see a few rapists, murderers and thieves rounded up, which seems to happen way too rarely.

9 minutes ago, Maverell said:

Increased scrutiny for one. First 10 yrs here, never had a home visit. Just did my extension and the IO wanted pics of us with him in our condo. No big deal, more of a sign of the times. It's the same for my wife when she goes to my country, because of all the Thai scammers who get caught circumventing the immigration system there, everyone gets put under the microscope. The time of issuance of travel documentation has tripled. IMO  the situation in Thailand is going to get progressively harder. No worries though - I can jump through as many paper hoops  that they can throw at me.

21 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

Nah

Think it's more about  demonizing foreigners.

Plenty of real crime they could get on with here.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Heinous criminals? Overstaying a visa, is most certainly against the law and also pretty stupid, but hardly heinous.

I would not be at all surprised to hear that most of those who overstay have something to hide, such as an outstanding warrant for some major crime somewhere. In fact you can see reports of that every week on here.

Many of the dregs of the world end up in Thailand, often having previously been in Spain until that country also cleaned up its act.

6 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Heinous criminals? Overstaying a visa, is most certainly against the law and also pretty stupid, but hardly heinous.

From past news articles it seems that the majority of foreign criminals caught here are also on overstay.

These overstayers have just been caught the other day during a raid, so no further back ground checks have been done yet, and maybe will also not be done because they will be send back anyway.

But chances are that there maybe a few people among them that are wanted in their home country for one or another reason.

Usually people have a reason for being on overstay, or illegally enter the country, and it's not always funds.

30 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

In what way?

I did my retirement extension in Jomtien recently and was in and out in under 10 minutes the first day, and barely one minute the next to collect my passport. I cant really imagine an easier or simpler or faster procedure.

2 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

Heinous criminals? Overstaying a visa, is most certainly against the law and also pretty stupid, but hardly heinous. Taking low hanging fruit, for quick headlines, is how I would describe this and I would far prefer to see a few rapists, murderers and thieves rounded up, which seems to happen way too rarely.

You will need patience for him to sort out the rapists, murderers and thieves and a lifetime for the corrupt and now wealthy embezzlers as they appear to be one and the same hence his harvest of little acorns? 

72 foreigners arrested on visa and other charges

By The Nation 

9_180810_0095-1024x682.jpg

Picture: Thai Tourist Police Bureau

Seventy-two foreigners were arrested on Thursday for allegedly overstaying their visa and other charges after tourist police and other agencies searched 75 locations across Thailand.

Pol Maj Gen Surachet Hakpal, deputy commissioner of the Tourist Police Bureau, held a press conference in front of the Chana Songkram police station at 2am to announce the result of the 20th “X-ray Outlaw Foreigner” Operation.

He said 11 foreigners were arrested for allegedly overstaying their visa and 46 for entering the kingdom illegally. He added that 15 other foreigners were arrested on other charges.

He did not elaborate on the nationalities.

He said 34 similar operations have been carried out so far and 4,159 targeted areas have been searched, netting 1,904 foreigners.

He said more than 2,000 foreigners have been blacklisted as persona non-grata.

In the latest operation, police checked three international schools, two English language schools and 13 normal schools as well as 57 other areas.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30351877

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-08-10

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

I would not be at all surprised to hear that most of those who overstay have something to hide, such as an outstanding warrant for some major crime somewhere. 

That would only be the case if they couldn't get a new passport, as Thai embassies don't have access to databases for outstanding warrants. I think, it's more about lack of finances or simply laziness, in addition to not being able to get a new visa at reasonable cost. (Imagine, you'd have to return to your home country every time you needed a new visa: would you fork out a lot of money to do so, or rather overstay if you were intend on staying in Thailand? - Don't get me wrong, overstaying is stupid IMHO, but people are known to do desperate things sometimes.)

45 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

How does this make it harder?  Do you meas that over stayers should be ignored,  or allowed to live here illegally?  

33 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's a sign of the time; more and more countries getting tougher on people who don't follow the rules. Just watched a clip on Youtube about Australia kicking out unwanted New Zealanders: criminals, wife-beaters, biker-gang members (who weren't even convicted of any crime). And these two countries have close ties...

IMHO the bottom line is that all countries, through their police forces, have a responsibility to have laws and policies and activities to ensure 'visitors' to their countries are monitored and follow rules. 

Basic stuff really.

36 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

and why is that a bad thing? 

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

That would only be the case if they couldn't get a new passport, as Thai embassies don't have access to databases for outstanding warrants. I think, it's more about lack of finances or simply laziness, in addition to not being able to get a new visa at reasonable cost. (Imagine, you'd have to return to your home country every time you needed a new visa: would you fork out a lot of money to do so, or rather overstay if you were intend on staying in Thailand? - Don't get me wrong, overstaying is stupid IMHO, but people are known to do desperate things sometimes.)

There's also the folks (from every country) who deliberately don't comply with laws and rules and thnk they are therefore smart or tough. 

29 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Indirectly, cause it's possible that officials and lawmakers decide to toughen up the rules for the law-abiding folk too: higher financial and other requirements, shorter visa extension periods... With so much publicity towards the 'outlawed foreigners', a certain public image and opinions are created.

good, if it keeps out foreign law breakers, drug dealers and eastern European 'service workers'.  I have no problem with that.   

Domestic propaganda, nothing to do with overstayers.

The current administration does not fancy foreigners in general.

Every country has overstayers, buy they don't call it X Ray Outlaw Foreigner.

30 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

You will need patience for him to sort out the rapists, murderers and thieves and a lifetime for the corrupt and now wealthy embezzlers as they appear to be one and the same hence his harvest of little acorns? 

I wish Big Joke a long and successful career then, cause after catching all overstayers till 2020, all cigarette-butt droppers till 2025, all illegal market-stall vendors till 2030, all romance-scammers till 2035, all pick-pocket gangs till 2040..., it will be 2100 or so, till he'll have time to arrest the big mafia bosses and embezzlers among the Thai elite and politicians... ?

As this is more than 80 years from now, maybe they should think about cloning him. ?

1 minute ago, StayinThailand2much said:

it will be 2080 or so, till he'll have time to arrest the big mafia bosses and embezzlers among the Thai elite and politicians... ?

Busting Thai mafia bosses and politicians is not the duty of the tourist police.

See you have tried a few times already in this thread to ridicule his actions................................but yet another fail.

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How does this make it harder?  Do you meas that over stayers should be ignored,  or allowed to live here illegally?  

No, not at all. I just believe that perception is powerful and Thailand is a country where a lot of 'knee jerk' decisions rule the day - based upon perception (and now social media). 

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

The Spouse visa and retirement visa will not be affected by these overstayers

Well i beg to differ, overstayers are making things more difficult.

Now being paraplegic it is almost impossible for me to do my 90 report, for the last 4 years my wife has done it.

Now last week it was due, my wife was extremely busy at work, silly bloody meetings, mainly nonsense ( IN MY OPINION ), So a friend offered to do it for me, he would be doing his own at the same time.

Well at Khonkaen immigration office io at first refused to do mine, he needs to come himself, he is paraplegic cannot come, well his wife has to do, she is busy at work.

He was told that many farangs make problems for immigration, failing to do 90 day reports, failing to get extentions, so we have to see him in here.

This nonsense went on for several minutes, then she relented and did it, but next time  he has to come himself or his wife with doctors cert saying he is disabled.

Archived