Big Joke turfs out more than 70 foreigners - champion had near six year overstay

webfact

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Well i beg to differ, overstayers are making things more difficult.

Now being paraplegic it is almost impossible for me to do my 90 report, for the last 4 years my wife has done it.

Now last week it was due, my wife was extremely busy at work, silly bloody meetings, mainly nonsense ( IN MY OPINION ), So a friend offered to do it for me, he would be doing his own at the same time.

Well at Khonkaen immigration office io at first refused to do mine, he needs to come himself, he is paraplegic cannot come, well his wife has to do, she is busy at work.

He was told that many farangs make problems for immigration, failing to do 90 day reports, failing to get extentions, so we have to see him in here.

This nonsense went on for several minutes, then she relented and did it, but next time  he has to come himself or his wife with doctors cert saying he is disabled.

Not a very nice response from the kk io.Only a suggestion Colin,would it not be easier for you to submit it online?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It's a sign of the time; more and more countries getting tougher on people who don't follow the rules. Just watched a clip on Youtube about Australia kicking out unwanted New Zealanders: criminals, wife-beaters, biker-gang members (who weren't even convicted of any crime). And these two countries have close ties...

That's selective reporting!  Anyone with a foreign passport and sentenced to more than 12 months prison is deported.  Bikie gangs have been at the hub of drug distribution in some states, and have been outlawed.  

New Zealanders are our brothers, and we have very close ties apart from certain rugby matches!  But if Aussies or Kiwis break the law, we get equal treatment.

9 minutes ago, phitsanulokjohn said:

Not a very nice response from the kk io.Only a suggestion Colin,would it not be easier for you to submit it online?

Ufortunately it wont work for me, i have tried 3 times, i was told that the system will not accept your application if you have been here since 2012, without leaving.

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Just making it harder and more complicated for people who actually follow the rules to be with their wife or legitimately want to retire here. 

If you follow the Immigration rules you have no worries.  It's the people who don't follow the rules that should worry and quite right too!

2 hours ago, shackleton said:

Sends out a message  to those not adhering   to the rules 

hope he keeps it up 

we are talking about those over stayers and others who can't be bothered to 

get the proper visas 

Not really. You overstay and notjing happens to you. Anyone overstaying more than 6 months should get jail time half of the overstay. Have an amnesty now for past transgessions then jail the law breakers. That would deter them. Then no less hassles for legit stayers.

Also many of them will be criminals in their home counties or in Thailand. No one stays illegally who is honest.

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Just making it harder and more complicated for people who actually follow the rules to be with their wife or legitimately want to retire here. 

If you follow rules and don't look on them as guidelines, you shouldn't be in Thailand, there are other countries for that. Now tell me - if the little man was red and the road was obviously 100% clear, would you cross, or wait for him to turn green.

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Heinous criminals? Overstaying a visa, is most certainly against the law and also pretty stupid, but hardly heinous. Taking low hanging fruit, for quick headlines, is how I would describe this and I would far prefer to see a few rapists, murderers and thieves rounded up, which seems to happen way too rarely.

best to stop there and not go further into what kind of politically policies there are behind the want for quick headlines as "outlaw foreigners" ?

2 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Increased scrutiny for one. First 10 yrs here, never had a home visit. Just did my extension and the IO wanted pics of us with him in our condo. No big deal, more of a sign of the times. It's the same for my wife when she goes to my country, because of all the Thai scammers who get caught circumventing the immigration system there, everyone gets put under the microscope. The time of issuance of travel documentation has tripled. IMO  the situation in Thailand is going to get progressively harder. No worries though - I can jump through as many paper hoops  that they can throw at me.

Quote: No worries though - I can jump through as many paper hoops  that they can throw at me.

Most of us long term people shouldn't have to jump as when they get a kick-in-dar-arse out of increasing the height. I myself have a immigration file as big as set of encyclopedias, as well as should get a gold watch for being here as I-Go-Long-Time. There seems a point that all of us immigration law abiders have enough traceable history for them to fast track our needs and leave us alone. Also, as in discussion this week, ok, citizenship should be hard to reach but not made impossible, but it also should be made more attainable to get a Permit Residency. They don't have to call me Thai, just a resident would be satisfactory for me an all so many other I would take it too. 

2 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Quote: No worries though - I can jump through as many paper hoops  that they can throw at me.

Most of us long term people shouldn't have to jump as when they get a kick-in-dar-arse out of increasing the height. I myself have a immigration file as big as set of encyclopedias, as well as should get a gold watch for being here as I-Go-Long-Time. There seems a point that all of us immigration law abiders have enough traceable history for them to fast track our needs and leave us alone. Also, as in discussion this week, ok, citizenship should be hard to reach but not made impossible, but it also should be made more attainable to get a Permit Residency. They don't have to call me Thai, just a resident would be satisfactory for me an all so many other I would take it too. 

You came here on a temporary non-immigrant visa - and if you are like most you are still on a temporary non-immigrant visa.  These "retirement" visas are not really any different than a tourist visa -- other than you have provided that you have the means to get a longer duration to stay (but still temporary).  You no longer have means - door shuts behind you.  As such you really have no rights and there has never been any obligation on the part of Thailand to treat you any differently now than someone on their first visa... each visa is judged on the facts available at the time.  Whinge all you want, but Thailand has no moral obligation to allow you to get permanent residency - you knew the rules when you came.

bit cryptic "we will back to school" ,  meaning what, we will be inspecting the schools? or

at least they aren't separating children and mothers, then deporting the mothers  like    Fox News

17 minutes ago, Nemo. said:

Not really. You overstay and notjing happens to you. Anyone overstaying more than 6 months should get jail time half of the overstay. Have an amnesty now for past transgessions then jail the law breakers. That would deter them. Then no less hassles for legit stayers.

Also many of them will be criminals in their home counties or in Thailand. No one stays illegally who is honest.

Overstay is really a misdemeanour, hence, no jail time.

It doesn't follow they are up to criminal activities in either country.  I dare say we would have heard to the contrary. 

5 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

You came here on a temporary non-immigrant visa - and if you are like most you are still on a temporary non-immigrant visa.  These "retirement" visas are not really any different than a tourist visa -- other than you have provided that you have the means to get a longer duration to stay (but still temporary).  You no longer have means - door shuts behind you.  As such you really have no rights and there has never been any obligation on the part of Thailand to treat you any differently now than someone on their first visa... each visa is judged on the facts available at the time.  Whinge all you want, but Thailand has no moral obligation to allow you to get permanent residency - you knew the rules when you came.

Quote; Whinge all you want,

Your status sounds as if you have a PR but hard to tell. Yes know the rules, now maybe time to talk to some friends in high places. Just have been holding off but am getting tired of jumping. 

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Overstay is really a misdemeanour, hence, no jail time.

It doesn't follow they are up to criminal activities in either country.  I dare say we would have heard to the contrary. 

It is less than a misdemeanor - it is an administrative offense - punishable by administrative (fine or deporting) means.  

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Quote; Whinge all you want,

Your status sounds as if you have a PR but hard to tell. Yes know the rules, now maybe time to talk to some friends in high places. Just have been holding off but am getting tired of jumping. 

No, just a temporary like the vast majority -- it might be temporary until I die, or it could be temporary until Thailand decides they don't like foreigners giving the Thai masses the wrong ideas - like democracy.

7 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

No, just a temporary like the vast majority -- it might be temporary until I die, or it could be temporary until Thailand decides they don't like foreigners giving the Thai masses the wrong ideas - like democracy.

Then it would be time to become a Chinese citizen and use the VIP lane

43 minutes ago, chubby said:

bit cryptic "we will back to school" ,  meaning what, we will be inspecting the schools? or

at least they aren't separating children and mothers, then deporting the mothers  like    Fox News

Yes they are & it's worse here. If you get caught with an O/S you go straight to IDC, unable to see your kids again in Thailand for 10 years. No belongings no goodbyes nothing! 

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

In what way?

I did my retirement extension in Jomtien recently and was in and out in under 10 minutes the first day, and barely one minute the next to collect my passport. I cant really imagine an easier or simpler or faster procedure.

Those of us in Chiang Mai are incredibly jealous. I can't do a 90-day report without spending at least six hours in the Immigration office. (Yes, I have learned my lesson...mail-in only now.) Retirement extension? You have to arrive at 4:00 am to stand in queue for a number to give you the privilege of standing in queue for an official number when the office opens at 8:00. And they only issue 90 official numbers per day. If you didn't make it, hard cheese. Come back tomorrow and try again. And if that makes you miss a deadline, you can suck it. "That will be 2,000 baht, mister." My fault that the CM Immigration office is incredibly understaffed.

Sigh. If my husband didn't have a good job here, we'd be so gone from CM. The driving and the smoke alone....

26 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

VIP lane is still temporary - and the program can be terminated at any time and the pro-rated funds returned to you.

Was a joke. But for all intensive purposes they better not terminate it for solemn reason as it relieves all other tourists or non immigrant people to be separate from them. Love Taiwan people though! Me, I always use VIP lane for other reasons so am unaffected either way.  

If you did a background check into these overstayers, you would find that many of them are deeply unsavoury characters, who have burnt the bridge to their homeland, because they have committed  heinous crimes there, or have abandoned families, owe large amounts of money, and so on. Get rid of them all, and it looks like Big Joke is going to.

8 minutes ago, Jeremy50 said:

If you did a background check into these overstayers, you would find that many of them are deeply unsavoury characters, who have burnt the bridge to their homeland, because they have committed  heinous crimes there, or have abandoned families, owe large amounts of money, and so on. Get rid of them all, and it looks like Big Joke is going to.

LOL

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i beg to differ, overstayers are making things more difficult.

Now being paraplegic it is almost impossible for me to do my 90 report, for the last 4 years my wife has done it.

Now last week it was due, my wife was extremely busy at work, silly bloody meetings, mainly nonsense ( IN MY OPINION ), So a friend offered to do it for me, he would be doing his own at the same time.

Well at Khonkaen immigration office io at first refused to do mine, he needs to come himself, he is paraplegic cannot come, well his wife has to do, she is busy at work.

He was told that many farangs make problems for immigration, failing to do 90 day reports, failing to get extentions, so we have to see him in here.

This nonsense went on for several minutes, then she relented and did it, but next time  he has to come himself or his wife with doctors cert saying he is disabled.

I feel for you, but why aren't you mailing it in?

But agreed, every time foreigners try a back door or illegal way to stay, the rest are scrutinized more stringently.

1 hour ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I agree-that is the bottom line.No sugar coating of that particular pill.

1 minute ago, duanebigsby said:

I feel for you, but why aren't you mailing it in?

But agreed, every time foreigners try a back door or illegal way to stay, the rest are scrutinized more stringently.

Why am i not mailing it, the answer is KK immigration told my wife they will not process mailed 90 days.

Archived