Big Joke turfs out more than 70 foreigners - champion had near six year overstay

webfact

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

IMHO the bottom line is that all countries, through their police forces, have a responsibility to have laws and policies and activities to ensure 'visitors' to their countries are monitored and follow rules. 

Basic stuff really.

"Basic stuff really".  What!!  in Thailand?? 

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, lkv said:

Domestic propaganda, nothing to do with overstayers.

The current administration does not fancy foreigners in general.

Every country has overstayers, buy they don't call it X Ray Outlaw Foreigner.

"The current administration does not fancy foreigners in general".  They do if you bung then 500.000 for their

Elite Visa.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i beg to differ, overstayers are making things more difficult.

Now being paraplegic it is almost impossible for me to do my 90 report, for the last 4 years my wife has done it.

Now last week it was due, my wife was extremely busy at work, silly bloody meetings, mainly nonsense ( IN MY OPINION ), So a friend offered to do it for me, he would be doing his own at the same time.

Well at Khonkaen immigration office io at first refused to do mine, he needs to come himself, he is paraplegic cannot come, well his wife has to do, she is busy at work.

He was told that many farangs make problems for immigration, failing to do 90 day reports, failing to get extentions, so we have to see him in here.

This nonsense went on for several minutes, then she relented and did it, but next time  he has to come himself or his wife with doctors cert saying he is disabled.

It's a disgrace Colin, what else can I say, yet some posters still think they are the bees knees.

15 minutes ago, Bastos60 said:

More complicated? Would you turn in someone you know who is overstaying their visa?

No, it's not my job and it's not my business. I just find that here in Thailand it's very easy to get painted with the same brush. Thais don't distinguish between UK foreigner, an American foreigner nor a German foreigner. Nor do they distinguish between a French foreigner holding a retirement visa or a Canadian foreigner holding a marriage visa. It's human nature to stereotype people (especially from other places) and here we're all foreigners. So if group of foreigners get caught doing wrong, (even though intellectually the IO knows the difference in circumstance) the stereotypes come out and we all get more scrutiny. And this isn't just a Thai issue, it's a world wide person issue I see it everyday on this site. I don't know if we'll all face more scrutiny in light of all the negative news reports, I certainly hope not. But in light of of all the knee jerk reaction to various issues that occur here, IMO it's a possibility cause after all, even though I'm married to a Thai I'm still a FOREIGNER.

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

Well i beg to differ, overstayers are making things more difficult.

Now being paraplegic it is almost impossible for me to do my 90 report, for the last 4 years my wife has done it.

Now last week it was due, my wife was extremely busy at work, silly bloody meetings, mainly nonsense ( IN MY OPINION ), So a friend offered to do it for me, he would be doing his own at the same time.

Well at Khonkaen immigration office io at first refused to do mine, he needs to come himself, he is paraplegic cannot come, well his wife has to do, she is busy at work.

He was told that many farangs make problems for immigration, failing to do 90 day reports, failing to get extentions, so we have to see him in here.

This nonsense went on for several minutes, then she relented and did it, but next time  he has to come himself or his wife with doctors cert saying he is disabled.

I just cannot see why they insist on you and others like you still having to do these 90 day reports. People who are bed ridden and the doctors confirm that they cannot get better should be excused.

They just have no compassion at all.

I guess I always equated foreigners to Westerners, so when I read that 1-2 a week are actually that, and 95%+ are Southeast Asian or Indian, I'm left scratching my head. That's about 100-150 westerners or so a year? I can't imagine it discourages law breakers at all. The odds are vastly in their favor.

5 hours ago, BobbyL said:

I would love to know which 'International Schools' are the ones that seem to be continually raided by this guy. 

If you see any stationers vans near these 'International Schools', that will be the brown envelopes getting delivered.:cheesy:

1 hour ago, Wilsonandson said:

Let's hope there's a 'Big Joke' equivalent in all our home countries kicking out the overstayed Thai's and printing their names in the national papers.

In the UK back in the 1980s, thousands of Thais received permanent residence visas and British citizenships by marriages of convenience, and are still there today. I bear witness to that.

The majority of the Thai business people, Thai restaurant owners, massage parlour owners, other Thai business owners and workers entered the UK under false pretences. I am sure if the Home Office decided to investigate the means used to enter Britain for permanent stay by Thais dating back to the early 1980s, at least 80% of them could be legally deported and thrown out the country. But of course the do gooders will ensure this will never happen.

Some countries go to great effort to make sure when parents are in the country illegally that their children are reunited with their parents.

i am curious why International schools are being checked for people on overstay, I would think this area has the  lowest probability of people on overstay but maybe thete are many “fake” things international schools

In the UK back in the 1980s, thousands of Thais received permanent residence visas and British citizenships by marriages of convenience, and are still there today. I bear witness to that.

The majority of the Thai business people, Thai restaurant owners, massage parlour owners, other Thai business owners and workers entered the UK under false pretences. I am sure if the Home Office decided to investigate the means used to enter Britain for permanent stay by Thais dating back to the early 1980s, at least 80% of them could be legally deported and thrown out the country. But of course the do gooders will ensure this will never happen.
There are regular round-ups of illegals in the UK, with Chinese, Indian and Thai restaurants frequent targets.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Most people who "over stay" are people who are trying to stay here on a tight budget ie cannot provide adequate financial status to take care of themselves, do not have spouses etc to qualify for marital status, or are not 50+ to get a retirement visa

or worse trying to evade detection from being here because of activities from their home or other country...

any overstay is trying to hide for some reason and is illegal

they should be deported end of story.. it's not Big brother it's border control!!

45 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Arresting overstayers is not the job of the Tourist Police, it is the job of the Immigration Police.

How glad that you discovered what nobody else in the police force or government is aware of.

Maybe you should inform them

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Indirectly, cause it's possible that officials and lawmakers decide to toughen up the rules for the law-abiding folk too: higher financial and other requirements, shorter visa extension periods... With so much publicity towards the 'outlawed foreigners', a certain public image and opinions are created.

I think you're paranoid. There's no correlation of accepting people who bring monies in the country to those who take jobs away and possible may be involved in illegal activity etc. They're separating "the wheat from the chaff" imo

10 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Nah

Think it's more about  demonizing foreigners.

Plenty of real crime they could get on with here.

So.. they kick out people who won't follow immigration laws (even on the understanding they'd get kicked out if caught) and its just 'demonizing foreigners'? Oh you poor, poor victim (even when its not you in the firing line, anyway.. but hey, why ruin a good bullshit moan, yeah???).. <deleted> BS-ing know-alls.. why not just go 'home'???

6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

If you did a background check into these overstayers, you would find that many of them are deeply unsavoury characters, who have burnt the bridge to their homeland, because they have committed  heinous crimes there, or have abandoned families, owe large amounts of money, and so on. Get rid of them all, and it looks like Big Joke is going to.

probable nonsense

5 hours ago, rascalman said:

I am a elderly disabled US veteran who has lived here over 11 years. Never bothering, breaking laws etc.. Last year doing my yearly passport stamp talking to an agent of Immigration telling her its physically difficult spending nearly all day accomplishing this. She smiled saying sometimes ambulances bring some to do their update.

This is impossible to comprehend. I am a good citizen, spend nearly all my money here yet No efforts to help those like me. Not amusing to me, what can be done besides dying or just stop doing this? Why do these people make it so difficult to live peacefully in Thailand? I am 67years old! 

You are not a citizen.

Some people just like to give others a hard time.

3 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

How glad that you discovered what nobody else in the police force or government is aware of.

Maybe you should inform them

They know what their job is, but any good political animal -- he realizes what provides good photo-ops provides the best publicity and can/will be used for career advancement.  Helping tourists just does not attract as much attention...  

Here is a rough translation of the vision from the Tourist Police own website:

1. Ensure the security of the King, the Queen, the heir, the royal family.

2. Build confidence in the safety of the lives and property of the tourists.

3. Satisfying service and facilitating tourists.

4. Eliminate scams, exploit and protect the interests of tourists.

5. Create good cooperation between all sectors. To maximize the efficiency of protecting the interests of tourists.

6. Eliminate the problem of tourist attraction deterioration disorder.

The tourist police actually lack police powers.  The force is there to try and make sure that tourists have as little to do with the real Thai police as possible (unless they violate the law)

The Royal Thai Police, of which the "Immigration Bureau" is the police force who are there to enforce immigration laws.  

"Big Joke" is deputy chief of the "Tourist Police".

That said, at least someone is doing the job even if not their responsibility.  I just really brought it up because it gives you an indication that this is not about cleaning up criminals as it is about career advancement.

8 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The tourist police actually lack police powers.  The force is there to try and make sure that tourists have as little to do with the real Thai police as possible (unless they violate the law) 

The Royal Thai Police, of which the "Immigration Bureau" is the police force who are there to enforce immigration laws.  

"Big Joke" is deputy chief of the "Tourist Police".

Maybe you should take a closer look at the pictures, because I can clearly see immigration police in there, and from another picture it is clear that this raid is led by Big Joke but that several other police forces are involved.

image.jpeg.1ca11d66c2b09f5eacfe660a4423a2ed.jpeg

image.jpeg.a6db912c23acd83460940e9e49e4cb61.jpeg

12 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

Increased scrutiny for one. First 10 yrs here, never had a home visit. Just did my extension and the IO wanted pics of us with him in our condo. No big deal, more of a sign of the times. It's the same for my wife when she goes to my country, because of all the Thai scammers who get caught circumventing the immigration system there, everyone gets put under the microscope. The time of issuance of travel documentation has tripled. IMO  the situation in Thailand is going to get progressively harder. No worries though - I can jump through as many paper hoops  that they can throw at me.

Pictures for a marriage long stay have been standard stuff in the rule book for years.  (Not necessarily with the officer but your guy is at least able to prove he did the home visit).  Some apparently dont and get reported. There are a few difficult immigration people in some provinces but for most people I am sure it is mostly plain sailing.  My local office hates doing Marriage extensions and make it VERY difficult, but fortunately we have more than on Imm office in our province so I might try the other office next time.  Will make inquiries around before time because it means a 50% difference of the money needed in the bank here.

Archived