Minister Arkhom holds talks on rail project in Northern region

webfact

Minister Arkhom holds talks on rail project in Northern region

PNECO610810001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 10th August 2018, (NNT) - The Transport Minister has hosted discussions on a dual rail project to link Den Chai district of Phrae province and Chiang Rai’s capital and Chiang Khong districts. It's believed such a project would boost the local economy and tourism. 

According to Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, railway transportation will play an important role in northern economic development. He said this project, in particular, would make Chiang Rai the logistics hub of the region. 

The dual rail project is part of the 85-billion-baht infrastructure development plan (2015-2022) to connect Phrae, Lampang, Phayao and Chiang Rai provinces. 

The 323-kilometer railway has 26 stops and is expected to be operational by 2023. Once the service is available, about 5,600 commuters are likely use the route on a daily basis, contributing to the projection of 4.65% growth in the logistics sector.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-08-10

Wow 26 stops seems about double what would really be needed and would cost a lot less to build the lesser amount of stops i for one would never travel on it if there is the full 26 it would take all day just to go one way .

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

Wow 26 stops seems about double what would really be needed and would cost a lot less to build the lesser amount of stops i for one would never travel on it if there is the full 26 it would take all day just to go one way .

It seems a lot of stations, yes. But given it's 1metre gauge, the train will take all day anyway, just like the SRT has right now. What about the express train, say Chiang Mai - Bangkok, I couldn't tell you the speed - 60KmHr?, but it always seems very slow, that I'm sure a dozen or more stations will hardly be noticed.

13 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It seems a lot of stations, yes. But given it's 1metre gauge, the train will take all day anyway, just like the SRT has right now. What about the express train, say Chiang Mai - Bangkok, I couldn't tell you the speed - 60KmHr?, but it always seems very slow, that I'm sure a dozen or more stations will hardly be noticed.

are they really sticking to 1 metre gauge for a new project? blimey

4 minutes ago, alant said:

are they really sticking to 1 metre gauge for a new project? blimey

Everything is 1 metre gauge on what's been labelled the so-called 'bullshit express' #2, #3, ad infinitum.

It's only the bullshit express #1 that allegedly will be built going to Laos-China that will be standard gauge. Of course, next week, we could be on to Plan W7, so who knows. Already there are route changes on #1 - even though some construction of embankments, etc is reportedly under way. Not yet has one bid been received/approved - AFAIW.

The aim of the project is to link some Northern provinces and local districts. This is the reason for the number of stops, obviously.

A local link service that doesn't stop to let local people on and off wouldn't be much use would it! Seems like a great idea to me.

This is a different project from the high speed rail.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

It's believed such a project would boost the local economy and tourism. 

It's believed?

That's about on par with Prayut using Article 44 to proceed with the Chinese high speed dual rail project.

Whatever happened to an economic analysis confirming return of capital investment and a reasonable yield rate on investment over specific time period?

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Once the service is available, about 5,600 commuters are likely use the route on a daily basis, contributing to the projection of 4.65% growth in the logistics sector.

Is that also based on a belief?

"Likely use the route?" - sounds like a guess than a belief.

Project justification sounds like the classic "Build it and they will come."

Archived