Trump renews attacks on protesting NFL players, says 'be cool'

rooster59

Trump renews attacks on protesting NFL players, says 'be cool'

By Susan Heavey

800x800 (4).jpg

Aug 9, 2018; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Miami Dolphins defensive end Robert Quinn (94) raises his fist during the national anthem prior to the game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers during the first half at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jasen Vinlove-USA TODAY Sports

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday renewed his attacks on NFL players pushing for criminal justice and other social reforms, after a number of players protested during the league's preseason opening late on Thursday.

The National Football League has struggled to address the issue of players who silently protest against police brutality and social inequality during the national anthem, amid Trump's regular criticism of such protests and as it tries to manage relations with both its players and fans.

As games opened on Thursday, several players knelt, refused to stand on the field, or raised their fists.

Trump, who has urged the NFL to suspend protesting players - who have mostly been black Americans - again called on the NFL to act, and said players should find another way to speak out.

"Numerous players, from different teams, wanted to show their 'outrage' at something that most of them are unable to define. They make a fortune doing what they love.....Be happy, be cool!" he tweeted early on Friday.

For the past few seasons, some NFL players have sought to call attention to police brutality towards African-Americans and minorities and racial oppression by taking a knee during the anthem before games. Trump and others have blasted the gesture as a sign of disrespect to the U.S. flag and the military, launching a political fight.

Trump has also condemned African-American players in other sports, spurring critics to say his comments are racially charged and intended to stoke his base ahead of the Nov. 6 midterm congressional elections.

Last week, the president lashed out at National Basketball Association star LeBron James, who told CNN that Trump was using sports "to kind of divide us."

On Thursday, Miami Dolphins players Kenny Stills, Albert Wilson and Robert Quinn protested during the anthem, before facing the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Miami at a preseason game, according to ESPN.

"Being a part of this protest hasn't been easy. I thought I was going to be by myself out there," Stills told the sports news outlet. "Today I had an angel with me, with Albert being out there. I'm grateful he sees what's happening, and he wants to do something about it as well."

Malcolm Jenkins, a football player for the Philadelphia Eagles, urged fans on Twitter to reflect on the country's prison population and the NFL, both of which feature a large majority of people of color, specifically African Americans.

"What you witness on the field does not represent the reality of everyday America," Jenkins wrote on Thursday. "We are the anomalies..."

League owners last month suspended a policy they had sought to put in place this season that would have required players to stand for the anthem, after the player's union objected.

Representatives for the NFL, the NFL Players Association and the Players Coalition did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

Former NFL player Colin Kaepernick, who started the protests in 2016, praised Miami Dolphins players Stills and Wilson for kneeling on Thursday to "protest systemic oppression."

"Stay strong brothers!" Kaepernick said in a post on Twitter.

In June, Trump refused to follow White House tradition of inviting league winners for an official visit, saying he would not extend an invitation to this year's NBA champs.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-11

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

"Numerous players, from different teams, wanted to show their 'outrage' at something that most of them are unable to define. They make a fortune doing what they love.....Be happy, be cool!"

While I'm not surprised that he's venting on this, his hot-button topic (he hates the NFL, and he's a well-documented and proven RACIST), especially when he's all alone on vacation.

A real leader would figure out a way to bring people together, rather than divide them. Sad.

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

56 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Numerous players, from different teams, wanted to show their 'outrage' at something that most of them are unable to define. 

Not correct. 

They are more than able to define what angers them. 

Once more the grand poobah of trumptopia makes up what he what he wants to be true. 

Imbecile. 

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Salaries should be cut until they remember they are being paid millions to play a game, not play politics. Many of the players, of all races, would have been lucky to maintain a middle class life without football. Living the dream and biting the hand.

Yet again a member of the 'right' wants to suppress lawful protest

9 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Salaries should be cut until they remember they are being paid millions to play a game,

That would be illegal of course, violating the current CBA.

You do realize that the NFL isn't Candie Land, right?

No matter if you agree or disagree with what the players are doing, I was under the impression the USA embraced the concept of Free Speech. evidently this is myth and shows that the so called Land of the free is anything but

2 minutes ago, upu2 said:

No matter if you agree or disagree with what the players are doing, I was under the impression the USA embraced the concept of Free Speech. evidently this is myth and shows that the so called Land of the free is anything but

...if you're black, brown, yellow or red.

If you're white, free speech is a right. Just ask Laura Ingraham, who has no problem telling LeBron James to "shut up and dribble".

The solution is quite simple, the owners should negotiate "Anthem compliance" as part of the next CBA, after the 2020 season.

15 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Salaries should be cut until they remember they are being paid millions to play a game, not play politics. Many of the players, of all races, would have been lucky to maintain a middle class life without football. Living the dream and biting the hand.

That's right. Politics has no business in Sports and besides, what's wrong with respecting the flag? 

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They are employees at work, if they want to protest they should do it on their own time.

First Amendment

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices.  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.  It also guarantees the right of citizens to assemble peaceably and to petition their government.   

Just now, mtls2005 said:

...if you're black, brown, yellow or red.

If you're white, free speech is a right. Just ask Laura Ingraham, who has no problem telling LeBron James to "shut up and dribble".

The solution is quite simple, the owners should negotiate "Anthem compliance" as part of the next CBA, after the 2020 season.

That is selective free speech NOT free speech. How does the USA justify the phrase that it throws around as being the Land of the Free? From what I have seen and read it is the opposite of that

2 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

Politics has no business in Sports and besides, what's wrong with respecting the flag? 

Tell that to tRUmp, who politicizes everything.

No one is disrespecting "the flag", other than the owners who drape a giant flag horizontally over the field, or the gazillions of others who fail to treat the flag with respect. The players are not handling or disrespecting the flag, our military or our country.

5 minutes ago, upu2 said:

How does the USA justify the phrase that it throws around as being the Land of the Free?

Well, some twist themselves into knots trying to justify free speech for white people, but denying it to others. Most Americans seem to inherently recognize the importance of the First Amendment, and a small segment remains ignorant. What can you do? 

54 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Did I see this quote earlier? You know, when a minority of rebel rousers stirred up rebellion against their god chosen King and they were colonists of the then greatest empire??? A fact oft cited by those who wished to remain English.

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

Did I see this quote earlier? You know, when a minority of rebel rousers stirred up rebellion against their god chosen King and they were colonists of the then greatest empire??? A fact oft cited by those who wished to remain English.

Is the NFL going to become a country now?

41 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

That's right. Politics has no business in Sports and besides, what's wrong with respecting the flag? 

Politics has no business in sport?

Remind me again, who initiated the boycott of the Moscow olympics? 

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Not if you are a surgeon or a quarterback.

So it is fine for a president to broadcasts his personal opinion to the world while he is on the job. Even though he is paid by the taxpayer... to work ..you must see the contradiction.

Tweeting isnt work.

46 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

They are employees at work, if they want to protest they should do it on their own time.

Striking then is not to be allowed because I am on the job.... In fact, whistleblowing, as it also bites the hand should also be against the law which should protect the employer's interests. It appears you lean further toward, "law and order" than I do. To each their own but I would and did protest what I considered ill concieved policy in the work place. My US Constitutional Rights do not stop at the factory door.

18 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Not if you are a surgeon or a quarterback.

Is this in the Twitter ToS?

Obviously tweeting during an operation, or an offensive play seems unwise. Otherwise, why not?

You seem to have an odd set of "rules".

14 minutes ago, jonclark said:

So it is fine for a president to broadcasts his personal opinion to the world while he is on the job. Even though he is paid by the taxpayer... to work ..you must see the contradiction.

Tweeting isnt work.

Presidents make political statements at work. That's their job.

9 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Striking then is not to be allowed because I am on the job.... In fact, whistleblowing, as it also bites the hand should also be against the law which should protect the employer's interests. It appears you lean further toward, "law and order" than I do. To each their own but I would and did protest what I considered ill concieved policy in the work place. My US Constitutional Rights do not stop at the factory door.

They are performers, they get paid a lot. If you had some actors that took a knee during a performance on stage, would you not replace them?

The President of the US is an Orange Bully Boy who made his money as a con artist.  Now, with all the power he has, is dividing his own country. 

His tax cuts for the wealthy are increasing the US deficit at an alarming pace. Interest rates are on the rise, the Dollar is getting stronger (hurts exports), there is a shortage of qualified labor and trade deficit widened in June (as a result of tariffs?). 

In order for Trump's tax and trade gamble to work, US trade deficit has to decrease by at least 200 billion a year. There is no economist in the world who believes that will be the case. 

There is a very high chance that he will leave a mess behind when voted out of/ leaves office. But one thing is certain, trump and his cronies will be much richer at that moment.

While this is going on he is dividing his own country and insulting the rest of the world. This can't end well.

-1x-1.png

fig 1 trillion dollar deficits return in 2023.png

Archived