Killing the Khaosan goose

rooster59

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, sanemax said:

There are a lot more tourists/holidaymakers coming to Thailand these days .

A good few years ago, Thailand was prominently a destination for dollar a day backpackers and they all converged on KSR , backpackers walking abound looking for dives to stay in and spending as little money as possible .

Tourists, (not back-packers) dont come to Thailand to go to KSR and have 30 Baht noodles on the street .

The shopping malls are mainly aimed at local Thais and the richer foreigners , back-packers dont tend to go shopping in malls

Yes and it’s the 30 Baht noodles on the street that have kept generations of Thai families in employment and alive. There’s no unemployment nanny state here. Have some consideration for others before spouting off.

1 minute ago, Sprigger said:

Yes and it’s the 30 Baht noodles on the street that have kept generations of Thai families in employment and alive. There’s no unemployment nanny state here. Have some consideration for others before spouting off.

It could be said that they are illegally undercutting the restaurants , by not paying rent or taxes and other over heads .

With a bit of planning , they can all move to designated food selling places where they have running water and rubbish collection .

Thailand is moving onwards and upwards and street sellers need to move into shops and get off the streets

Don't know if it is any comparison but I grew up in Manhattan in New York, not like some flakes who 'lived there' for a 'few years' and I remember when Times Square was exactly the same way. Massage parlors, bars and more. In the 1960' and 1970's the city pulled the plug and did a complete face-lift, including the New York Times building and other places in the area. We hated it to see all those dirty places go and we just knew the area would never be worth anything ever again and look at it now. For the past decades every person I have met in a foreign country and other states who wants to visit New York always has Times Square and Broadway as two of their destinations. Maybe in the long run it will be a good thing IF they can keep it Thai and make it work, but then again maybe I just shot myself in the foot here.....

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

the party has been over for four years.

Spot on. 

My last trip to Thailand was my last trip. Other than passing through BKK to get somewhere else there's no soul left in the place any more. The fun's gone and you seem to be looking over your shoulder all the time expecting to be scammed by all and sundry. 

In the past four years the Thai smile has gone. 

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Thailand does "get it" , you dont understand that Thailand doesnt want it .

Thailand doesnt want dirty streets and dirty back-packers drinking buckets on the streets until morning time .

Some people may indeed want "raw" , Thailand doesnt want that

We'll they better not still want the tourist money then.  And I' ll bet they do still want it.  Cake and eat it, anyone?  Chiang Mai, Samui, Phuket and Pattaya will be happy to have them, thank you, Bangkok!!!

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It could be said that they are illegally undercutting the restaurants , by not paying rent or taxes and other over heads .

With a bit of planning , they can all move to designated food selling places where they have running water and rubbish collection .

Thailand is moving onwards and upwards and street sellers need to move into shops and get off the streets

No, Thailand does want it but the Junta wants a Singapore. The ruining of Thailand for what it is known of is a travesty. The change is to let all the Chinese in who don't know s*** fronm shinola anyway except for their movie lost in Thailand. Travesty and only a Travesty. 

5 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am speaking about what the Government of Thailand want .

And they are the only people that matter , because they make the rules

Well then, that answers that! I'm so glad there is a government spokesperson on TV!

As an old fruit juice seller on Soi Rambutri used to tell us: ' Thai young guys and chicks come to Khaosan Soi Rambutri on weekends to booze at one of the many bars along Rambutri - get drunk then go and f..k '... So the words of the old guy who worked next to the VW  bus there. Nice chap, he and his wive sold fresh pure only juices for 80 B. They pushed him out finally. 'They' wanted more money from him.

No, it's not only the foreigners who love Khaosan for what it is: ' Hot entertainment place where everybody ( including our popstar friend ) loves to walk, play, eat and drink during evenings.

Why anybody wants to destroy this is beyond my imagination, except perhaps some big shot wanted a big cut and he couldn't get it..

No outsider knows the reality - yet. Let me go and I will.

Cha ruk khoon.

But I do give a hoot.

africasiaeuro

38 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

We'll they better not still want the tourist money then.  And I' ll bet they do still want it.  Cake and eat it, anyone?  Chiang Mai, Samui, Phuket and Pattaya will be happy to have them, thank you, Bangkok!!!

Oh , dont go .

Please stay .

I will contact the Gov and get the food stalls back immediately , please dont go to Chiang mai...................................

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

Sad as everything most of us loved about this Kingdom is getting a poor quality chrome and polish ...when most of us just want '' old thailand'',not another new shopping mall...Thais just don't get it...

Go to a museum if you need old Thailand 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Oh , dont go .

Please stay .

I will contact the Gov and get the food stalls back immediately , please dont go to Chiang mai...................................

What is so special with these filthy stalls? Overpriced stuff with poor quality? Give me a break, remove that garbage forever

7 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This whole episode is one of the stupidest public-policy fiascoes I have ever seen, and coming from someone who lives in Thailand, that says a lot.

Fundamentally, this is the difference between a military government which farms out policy to the bureaucracy and an elected government; the bureaucracy merely sees that the 'rules' aren't being followed and thus things must be changed/fixed while an elected person who communicates with their constituents would see hundreds/thousands of peoples' livelihoods and a prime tourist area. And, the elected person would leave it alone.

Khao San road is a tourist attraction in and of itself and has been for literally decades; just about every backpacker (millions of them, literally!) for the last 50 years has stayed there for at least a night, and it has been the 'gateway' to Thailand all that time. The reason for its popularity has been because it is a lively place; there is always something going on; hey bureaucrats, tourists, especially young tourists, like that. If you remove that which gives life to the place and turn it into just another stretch of concrete, people won't go anymore. Duh!

Bureaucrats simply looked at the place and, taking their cue from the Junta, saw that laws were not being followed and embarked on a fun-killing process. Why? Because it was there. Allowing bureaucrats (and I would bet huge amounts that the final decision-makers never even went there) to decide things like this leads to a sterile, non-fun environment that follows all the rules to the detriment of humanity and isn't "Sanook".

Khao San road wasn't broken. Khao San road isn't broken. Khao San road is "Sanook!"

Stop trying to "fix" what isn't broken or you will certainly ruin one of Thailand's greatest tourist attractions.

Very very poor if people come for those filthy "attractions "

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Most of those business are gone now.  Wonder how the backpackers feel now.   

They must be upset , where are they going to get their henna tattoos , 30 baht noodles and 300 baht buckets of whisky and 100 baht elephant trousers from now ?

7 hours ago, mok199 said:

well then ...they will have empty malls and beaches filled with power boats to shuttle the budget tour Chinese and Indians to and from once beautiful prestine islands,  .. the diversity of travelers and expats in over...now it is just a steady flow of budget tourists as Thailand is just a cheap'' holiday machine''..and Thailand owns this absolute F%^k up

Have you ever been to Paragon, MBK, or Terminal 21? It's often bedlam in those malls - jam-packed with tourists. 

36 minutes ago, sanemax said:

They must be upset , where are they going to get their henna tattoos , 30 baht noodles and 300 baht buckets of whisky and 100 baht elephant trousers from now ?

I bought mine in CM for 95 baht.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Have you ever been to Paragon, MBK, or Terminal 21? It's often bedlam in those malls - jam-packed with tourists. 

I would rather see busy natural well kept, respected beaches and parks.have a good day sir

5 hours ago, JTXR said:

Seriously?  Thais "don't get" how they should run their country for the benefit of tourists, especially the low-spending backpackers that aren't anyone's idea of desirable tourists anyway?  How sad.

the good news is ''Thailand has the most honest taxi drivers in the universe''

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Much like you would be upset if Sukhimvit Soi5 or Patpong were closed down.    The point being it did not need to be monkeyed with. 

Thailand was the last country in Asia to have footpaths completely clogged up with corrupt none tax paying scum clogging the drains with grease and fat and dildos and x rated dvd.s showing cum drenched faces for kids to see

All the old dinosaurs still clinging to life here are crying about this being cleaned up. Everyone cries about corruption but its OK if its street stalls because they are really hard workers sitting on a stool all day ready to jam unbelievable mark ups on fake everything to unsuspecting tourists while paying the BIB "rent"

Junta has done a great thing here and could care less about what fat old big bwana wants.

Get rid of them! they are blessed to have a 4pm start. If the greedy pigs kept a civil space so couples could walk side by side this probably never would have happened

12 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Much like you would be upset if Sukhimvit Soi5 or Patpong were closed down.    The point being it did not need to be monkeyed with. 

Why do you think that I would be upset if Patpong or Soi5 closed down ?

Are you so small minded that you think that if you dont eat 30 Baht noodles by the road in KSR , then you must be a sex tourist ?

1 hour ago, mok199 said:
2 hours ago, tropo said:

I would rather see busy natural well kept, respected beaches and parks.have a good day sir

My comment was directed specifically at this comment you made:

Mok199 said:

Quote: 

"well then ...they will have empty malls"

They won't have empty malls. Of course, you don't know this because you're busy visiting "natural well kept, respected beaches and parks" and nowhere near these very busy malls.

You have a good day sir. Don't forget to slap on the sunscreen and wear a hat.

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

Why do you think that I would be upset if Patpong or Soi5 closed down ?

Are you so small minded that you think that if you dont eat 30 Baht noodles by the road in KSR , then you must be a sex tourist ?

Don't have money or much drive for sex anymore.  I do business in Thailand and 30 baht noodles are found all over Bangkok thankfully not just on KSR.   All these places employ people, people go to them, and they should be left alone, as they are not really hurting anyone.  I judge no venue in Bangkok nor those who go to such places.   But if you wish to speak poorly of young people who congregate in a certain place, before seeing the wilds of Asia, please continue. 

10 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Don't have money for sex anymore.  I do business in Thailand.  That kills your sex drive. And 30 baht noodles are found all over Bangkok thankfully not just on KSR.   All these places employ people, people go to them, and they should be left alone, as they are not really hurting anyone.  I judge no venue in Bangkok nor those who go to such places.   But if you wish to speak poorly of young people who congregate in a certain place, before seeing the wilds of Asia, please continue. 

Archived