Canada Has Issued A Travel Advisory For Thailand, Here Are The Affected Areas

rooster59

Canada Has Issued A Travel Advisory For Thailand, Here Are The Affected Areas

Lilly Paltsev

8f501b5ddf8b540737cca1e2d62cbf1c334c40c4.png_1200x630.png

@Evan Krause

Canadian travellers to Thailand should "exercise a high degree of caution" in Thailand.

Canadians travelling to Thailand are being warned to "exercise a high degree of caution" due to flooding, early monsoon activity, and a dam collapse. Thailand's monsoon season is currently at its peak, typically extending from June to October.

Monsoon activity in Thailand consists of severe rainfall, which often leads to flash floods and landslides. The Government of Canada has released a list of Thai provinces that are currently eperiencing an elevated risk of floods.

Full story: https://www.narcity.com/news/canada-has-issued-a-travel-advisory-for-thailand-here-are-the-affected-areas

NARCITY: 2018-08-11

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Where do I look for the information as to when a flash flood or land slide may occur please?

You can´t and that´s why a warning is important. Probably cover the wide geographical area where it´s most likely or have a chance to happen.

5 hours ago, riki said:

dam collapse was in lao

Yes, it was in that part of Laos which is so close to Thailand. That dam collapse badly affected at least one province in Cambodia. Heavy rainfall does not discriminate between country borders and there are dams that are filling up to a dangerous level in Thailand. You can read about it in the media.

Actually the Government issued an Advisory about Thailand on the 9th and under the "Natural Disasters and Climate" tab had the following:

Flooding

There is an elevated risk of floods in northern and northeastern Thailand, due to an early monsoon and a dam collapse in Attapeu province in Laos. The following provinces are particularly at risk:

• Chiang Rai
  • Mukdahan
  • Nakhon Phanom
  • Sakon Nakhon
  • Yasothon, Roi Et
  • Ubon Ratchathani

On the 10th they issued a notice about Laos. Under the same tab "Natural Disasters and Climate" tab they had the following:

Flooding

A hydroelectric dam broke and released extremely large volumes of water in the Xe Pian River in southern Laos PDR on July 23, 2018. Areas along the Xe Pian River in Attapeu Province could be affected. The elevated water levels could get to the lower reaches of the Xekong River, which flows into the Mekong River in Cambodia. Flooding is also expected in Pakse in the coming days due to cresting of the Mekong River. Authorities have issued flood alerts for Attapeu provice.

In the affected areas, there could be significant disruptions to the following essential services:

• transportation services and networks
  • power distribution
  • water and food supply
  • telecommunications networks
  • emergency services

Avoid travel to or through Attapeu province. Avoid flooded areas, monitor local media and follow the advice of local authorities, including any evacuation order and monitor the news.

Typhoons and Monsoons

Tropical Storm Son-Tinh recently passed through Laos, causing flooding and landslides along Kasy-Nan Road. Avoid using national road NR 4 between Kasy district in Vientiane province and Nan district in Luang Prabang. Use NR 13 instead to travel between Vientiane and Luang Prabang.

(I get the latest Travel updates sent to me each morning from the gov't website though I usually don't bother reading them as often as I used to.)

11 hours ago, mercman24 said:

yes dam collapse ? needs to get his geography right,, wrong country

Because a number of dams in Thailand are over capacity, or close, and more rain expected.  One dam has already begun to overflow 

23 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Where do I look for the information as to when a flash flood or land slide may occur please?

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/  This is for Thailand weather advisories from Government.

http://gdacs.org     This is for all catastrophic event warnings. (We find it useful.) Landslide in Thailand typically result due to earth movement or rain. This site shows the current events.

Archived