BANGKOK 26 March 2019 01:26
macb

Training Your Dog

However he does show aggression towards strangers (very typical of breed), no one outside our family can get near him (apart from our staff and one of the guys that delivers our water), so with this in mind I do not allow anyone to enter our home/garden until he is secured by check chain (so I can control him), when ever we take him outside the house he is secure, and people are told not to approach him, also our vet will not allow any Bangkaew in his offices without a muzzle

Does he show aggression at the gate before you let them in:

Putting a dog on a chain can actually teach them to be more aggressive because they become frustrated, far better to have control off the Chain.

Thats why you see aggressive when chained all the time because it makes them more defensive and frustrated.

My GSD is formidable at the gate and around the property, he knows the locals that walk past but some he likes and some he dislikes, but if some one visits I point to the lawn and he goes and lays down.

macb, I hope to be in the position one day that I can do the same, but right now my boy is not to that standard of training, yes you are right, he is going mad at people on the lead, but I am very cautious of his behaviour, so I like him to be under control, if he bites anybody it will cost me. I know have a Farang contact in Chiang Mai who will help us with our training, I will keep you all posted, but from what I can see it looks good, I have already received good advice from this person, and this person has a professional setup. I will be there within the next two weeks, I am sure all will be well.

it seems to me that u are reinforcing aggressive behavior by 'checking' him and not allowing people to approach him (dont have to pet him, but should be ablte to walk past him) so even 'hard' dogs should be taught to sit quietly or look ahead and ignore bypassers... using distraction like food or a toy anytime anyone goes past and 'getting attention' from your dog; also, keeping him on a good muzzle may let u relax and give him a better message then your tense 'oh no here comes someone lets grab the dog and pull him back' type thing...

if he is muzzled u can work on diversion behavior w/o worrying about him actually biting someone... muzzling should be ok for him as there are good muzzles that allow the dog to breathe and excercise and drink water but prevent bites on people. and use the muzzle all the time in the beginning so he doesnt associate it with unpleasant things like vets but also fun things like walks... i have friends in israel with a amstaff and this is the law here, she's a sweety and has learned to run, play whatever even on the beach with her muzzle... just keep watch that unleashed dogs dont get aggressive with yours...

the diversion part is what nienke and i always talk about: u have to catch the behavior before it happens (someone starts to approach u, u offer your dog: LOOK (or whatever word u want) and toy/hotdog whatever, give it, and keep going ignore the person ) ... u have to give confidence to your dog that u are both ok... if u get prepared for aggressive behavior before it starts, then u may be cueing him into getting aggressive as he reads your reactions (grabbing collar, tying up, pulling back on check chain)....

if u dont trust your dog (i know, he's young, but u should still trust him to follow your lead, or have confidence in u as the leader, but if u feel that he feels he is the leader then he will 'take over' than u really should think again about keeping him; it is kind of tiring to always be on the alert for potential problems...

not sure if this makes sense but tried to show someone this yesterday with a very good mare, who is taking advantage of her new and inexperienced owner by acting up, so he became nervous around her and so she became nervous and created sort of a cycle of unwanted behaviors. your slight lack of confidence makes your dog want to take the lead instead since u cant 'protect and defend and control' him (a strong leader makes strong and solid soldiers, in this case; a unconfident leader makes them nervous and aggressive)...and these dogs need a strong leader (alpha pack theory) since they are very strongly territorial to begin with...

be wary of using aggressive methods to stop aggressive behavior; u want a good protective family dog, not a garage guard dog

ps. forgot, if its nienke working with u then all the better......

Edited by bina
  • Like 1

ps. forgot, if its nienke working with u then all the better......

Thank you, Bina, for this great compliment :o Now, I'd better do a great job, in stead of only talking (I'm very good in that).

Saw the dog yesterday, he's real handsome dog!!

Nienke

Thanks bina for your input, yes Nienke is working with us, and thanks Nienke, I will tell Chego that you think he is rôop lòr :D

We have had two sessions with Nienke now (2nd was this afternoon), and already we are seeing an improvement, but the basic problem is that my wife and I are molly coddling our dog, and not showing a strong lead (if at all) :D Of course once Nienke started to explain it seemed so obvious, but if you don't know you simply don't know.

I am so glad that we found Nienke (or rather Nienke found us), thanks Nienke, and thanks Thaivisa, without this forum giving all us expats a place to hangout we may never had found our trainer :o

Nienke, it took us three and a half hours to get home this evening, we hit a storm at Mae Teang and stayed in it until ten km from home, not fun going through the twisties :D See you Friday :D

Nienke, it took us three and a half hours to get home this evening, we hit a storm at Mae Teang and stayed in it until ten km from home, not fun going through the twisties :D See you Friday :D

Blimey, that's no fun, 3 1/2 hrs! It didn't rain at my place untill about 8 or 8.30 (dunno exactly as I left at 7.30) Hope Friday will be better. Now it's nice and cool :D

Thanks for the compliment :o

Nienke

Update.......

First and foremost I would like to say that I agree with Nienke's training technique, she is very professional, yet still human, and takes no shit (Non confrontational yet assertive) from the dog (or owners) and leads by good example.

Our dog is slowly coming around to the fact that he is not high up in the pecking order, although we have a long long way to go, some days are good, and others are bad, but ultimately all days are good because we are reinforcing our control over him.

After only two weeks we can see the difference in our dogs behaviour, he still try’s it on mind you, but Nienke has advised us that this may well be the case, until he settles into a lower roll, and when we are more consistent with our handling.

If anyone in or around Chiang Mai needs help with a dog, I would strongly recommend Nienke, she has a web site, but because of forum rules I can not link directly, her web link is available from her profile page.

Edited by solent01

Can't find the "behaviour " thread so excuse me butting in with this question....

What is the reason for dogs to rub themselves in obnoxious smells ( usually from other dead rotten carcasses ) ?

Can't find the "behaviour " thread so excuse me butting in with this question....

What is the reason for dogs to rub themselves in obnoxious smells ( usually from other dead rotten carcasses ) ?

There is no scientific explanation for this behavior, so nobody is really sure why dogs love to roll themselves in poop, rotten and rotting stinky smells.

The most common believes are that it's an ancient instinct:

* a way of diguising their own senct so that prey animals will not be able to sniff their presence, and/or

* a way to tell the other pack members that they've found something very interesting.

Many dogs also can't appreciate the parfume that goes with many shampoo's and will rub themselves immediately after the bath, in order to get that (for them) disgusting smell of them. Best way to do so, for them, is to roll in something that is like parfume in their minds, but not exactly in ours.

Hope this has answered your question,

Nienke

Yes thank you Nienke,

Very interesting replies and I agree that after you bathe them etc, all they wanna do is go get dirty again.

My only thought was they perhaps do it for some kind of self protection.

I've probably met more instances of smelly farangs than smelly dogs anyway. :o

Hi

New Lang Ahn has moved in with us - see avatar. He's great.!

I've started training him the basics ..... sit .......down ......... walk to heel (using Let's Go). Pup is very responsive to the training (particularly the treats and praise for success).

He's only 2.5 months old at the moment, but intend to send him to proper obedience classes after 4-5 mths. Probably the K9 school Pattaya.

The only problem at the moment is that I also have to train my wife to give the dog proper training !! I'm at work all day so she "entertains" the dog for most of the day with games / toys etc. but no training structure, as she doesn't fully understand the concept.

Can anybody recommend any god Thai language dog training book's or websites that will give her a better idea ?

woof woof .................

Hi

New Lang Ahn has moved in with us - see avatar. He's great.!

I've started training him the basics ..... sit .......down ......... walk to heel (using Let's Go). Pup is very responsive to the training (particularly the treats and praise for success).

He's only 2.5 months old at the moment, but intend to send him to proper obedience classes after 4-5 mths. Probably the K9 school Pattaya.

The only problem at the moment is that I also have to train my wife to give the dog proper training !! I'm at work all day so she "entertains" the dog for most of the day with games / toys etc. but no training structure, as she doesn't fully understand the concept.

Can anybody recommend any god Thai language dog training book's or websites that will give her a better idea ?

woof woof .................

What a very cute little puppy he is!

I've seen, but not really read, a Thai dog training manual written by a Thai female dog instructor who runs a dog training school in Bangkok. But I'm sorry I can't help you with name of the writer, title of the book or even the address and name of the dog training school as I didn't bought the book.

I remember the book as it explains step by step how to train basic obedience in a dog friendly way. Not with the clicker as I do, but at least with lots of reward. Got the impression it was quite a nice training manual. Sorry, can't help you further.

If you plan to send your dog to a training school, I suggest to send him to a more dog friendly school. Maybe the school from lady who wrote that book.

Nienke

I wasn't familiar with clicker training - just googled it, sounds interesting.

Do you know if you can get the kits in Thailand - clicker plus VDO etc.

Do you solely use the clicker as a form of command or is it normal command plus clicker ?

advice welcomed

thanks

I wasn't familiar with clicker training - just googled it, sounds interesting.

Do you know if you can get the kits in Thailand - clicker plus VDO etc.

Do you solely use the clicker as a form of command or is it normal command plus clicker ?

advice welcomed

thanks

Hi,

A clicker is a training device that one uses when teaching new behaviors together with the commands. The clicker is not used as an command but as a kind of communication device that tells the dog that what s/he's doing right at that moment (at the moment of the click) is the behavior you wanted to see. A click is ALWAYS followed by a reward for the dog that is experienced as such by the dog (and not by the owner who thinks it is a reward). A reward can be food, touch, soft word, play, depending on the dog's need and desire at that moment and under those circumstances. Food is the main reward that's used as most animals loves to work for a delicious treat. It is NOT that a dog or any other animal species is starved. (something that some traditional dog trainers still apply in there training in order to force it to work and obey due to hunger, unfortunately).

A clicker is initially a neutral sound to a dog, that needs to be introduced in order to give it a meaning. But it's mainly the owner who needs to learn how to use the clicker. Once the dog starts understanding what is required from him/her, the use of the clicker becomes less and less. And once a behavior has rooted in and a cue (command) has been attached to the particular behavior and understood by the dog, then the clicker is not needed anymore.

The nice thing with clicker training is that one focusses on the desired behavior instead on everything that is not desired. This is, of course, to the dog way much more clear (after all with the click you tell the dog that what he just did is what you wanted him to do ... come and get your reward) and way much more dog friendly, keeping the dog's trust and spirit in tact.

Clicker training or this kind of method is not only used in dog training. On the contrary, it comes from dolphin training.

Cats, parrots and other bird species, horses, even gold fish and wild life species have been trained by using this method.

It is used a lot in behavior problem modification in dogs with great results.

At my kennel/dog training school I work primarily with the clicker and I really love it.

At the moment I'm training a dog with the clicker who, without a thought, would bite whatever, people, other dogs, other animals. Now, he's slowly coming around. I already can walk past other dogs AND people without him luching at them and trying to full blown attack, in stead he pays full attention to me voluntarily .

It's so much fun to see him changing. :o

In Chiang Mai, where I live, I'm the only one who has clickers. I haven't heard if in Bangkok clickers are for sale, let alone books, DVD's etc. I also haven't heard of any other dog training school where they use the cliker as a training device, but that doesn't mean there isn't any in Thailand. However, if you may come across a dog training school where they use both methods, that is the clicker methods and the traditional punishment based methods, I wouldn't recommend them. Because, once one has seen and understood the benefits of the clicker method one doesn't want to go back nor use the traditional method anymore.

I hope I've been able to answer your questions. If you would like to know more on the clicker training, please, feel free to PM me.

Nienke

nienke,

u dont need a clicker per se; u can use anything in place of it that is a specific sound or signal so no need to buy one. a bell or a particular whistle or a flashing light or whatever, since u are using it only as a marker ('good') ; even a pen click sound can be used (u know, the ball point pen click )... or the knocking sound of a collar clip (the bigger ones used for atttatching a lead to a collar)...

bina