Meditation Pants?

OliverKlozerof

Funny title, I suppose...here's the deal:

Been traveling the country north of BKK (where I've been 12 years) for several weeks. Now in CM. Lucky (for me), just walking around I've found a few temples where I can walk in in the middle of the day, go into the (usually) vacant temple, and meditate for a while.

But then I remembered it's not really proper to go into temples wearing shorts (with knees exposed). So, I want to pick up some simple, lightweight, cool (and breathable, if possible), pants for this purpose. Yesterday I walked around Warorot Market, hoping to find something like this in an off-white or natural cotton or some muted solid color. Well, as you may know there were tons of what I've since learned are called 'elephant pants' (see attached photo), but I'm not interested in things like this with a pattern.

I realize I can probably get some tailor to make me what I want for relatively cheap but...anyone know if I can find what I want already made somewhere in town? Thx.

elephant pants.jpeg

15 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Normally they have something similar in plain colours on the upstairs level of Warorot market building.

Really? I gazed up there from below...didn't see anything hopeful...and decided not to climb up and look closer. Guess I'll go back and make the climb.

Follow the road between the markets 9n the direction of the traffic at warowat.
There's a road on the right opposite the t shirt shop that is one way for drivers but walking is ok. Go up and theres some shops up there.
Or carry on the main road in the direction of traffic.
You'll find shops with pants & some with big rolls of material.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, cmsally said:

They used to, but I haven't been up there in a while.

Went back today, ascended the stairs and within a couple minutes found a shop that had almost exactly what I was looking for. They’re rather heavier than whatever they use to make elephant pants, but may work. Thanks!

0F50AFD3-382D-44DB-AA39-CD1DC860BABA.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

Follow the road between the markets 9n the direction of the traffic at warowat.
There's a road on the right opposite the t shirt shop that is one way for drivers but walking is ok. Go up and theres some shops up there.
Or carry on the main road in the direction of traffic.
You'll find shops with pants & some with big rolls of material.

Sent from my BND-L21 using Tapatalk

That would be in the direction of "Gong Lo Jo". Not a lot of plain trousers but maybe something in the "Nepalese style" shops belonging to Nai 99.

If you carry on you get to Fashion City which does the tourist elephant pants in bulk.

8 minutes ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Just because your elephant pants don't have the elephant print on them it doesn't mean they're better than elephant pants. Actually calling them meditation pants is probably worse than elephant pants. 

Perhaps it's me, but I can't see how this comment is helpful. I arrived traveling by bicycle with only short pants (as I stated above). I needed something to cover my knees when entering temple grounds, to be respectful. I've found some. I'm 62 and don't fancy wearing patterned elephant pants. The ones I bought are simple white cotton.
Perhaps you're just bored? BTW, having gotten some actually helpful responses, and achieving my objective, I now turn off notifications for this thread.

7 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

Perhaps it's me, but I can't see how this comment is helpful. I arrived traveling by bicycle with only short pants (as I stated above). I needed something to cover my knees when entering temple grounds, to be respectful. I've found some. I'm 62 and don't fancy wearing patterned elephant pants. The ones I bought are simple white cotton.
Perhaps you're just bored? BTW, having gotten some actually helpful responses, and achieving my objective, I now turn off notifications for this thread.

Nope, it's not just you. 

The coolest and most comfortable pants I've ever worn are what the Thais call gahng-gehng jeen - Chinese pants.

Light weight cotton, indigo dyed, no elastic or belt loops, you fold them over at the waist like a pak-o-mah.

Available at the local markets where traditional clothes are sold, and very inexpensive.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, John006 said:

In my thought choosing women pants by preference is maybe personal perspective. The situation for each can be different according to need, event or liking. In such case, I select screen printing option from Siddhiwear to adjust my type according to the situation.

Welcome to the forum John.

Here in Chiang Mai you will be able to satisfy your desire not only for women's pants, but for the whole range of women's clothing and accoutrements for any situation, need, or liking.

Enjoy your sojourn with us.

Archived