Former cycling champion Ullrich detained after attack on prostitute

rooster59

Former cycling champion Ullrich detained after attack on prostitute

800x800.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Former German cyclist and Tour de France winner Jan Ullrich addresses the media after a trial at the regional court in the northern Swiss town of Weinfelden, Switzerland, July 21, 2015. REUTERS/Arnd Wiegmann

BERLIN (Reuters) - German police on Friday briefly detained former cyclist and Tour de France champion Jan Ullrich for attacking and injuring a 31-year old prostitute in a Frankfurt luxury hotel, a police spokeswoman said.

Police and local prosecutors later said in a statement that they were investigating a case of attempted manslaughter and grievous bodily harm but that the suspect, who they did not name, had been released.

Ullrich's attorney was not immediately available for comment.

The police spokeswoman said Ullrich, 44, was under the influence of alcohol and drugs when police detained him, and that he and the woman had an argument in the Villa Kennedy hotel in the early hours of Friday morning.

According to the police statement, the woman provided extensive details about the attack while the suspect remained silent.

Ullrich told Germany's Bild newspaper in an interview this week that he had marriage problems and was emotionally stressed after his wife had decided to separate. He had not seen his three sons since Easter.

"I've done and taken things that I very much regret", Ullrich told Bild, adding: "Out of love for my children, I'm doing therapy now."

The 1997 Tour de France winner had flown to Frankfurt from his home in Mallorca, where he had been involved in an altercation in the garden of his neighbour, German action film star Til Schweiger, last weekend.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-11

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

To be able to win the ' tour de France ' , they all take drugs ... in his case , may be too many , too much ...

What a uneducated and the most outrageous crap l have hurd. Firstly there drug tested and being a great athlete is not a charge for being a drug taker lol

15 minutes ago, dirtynomad said:

There is a lot of denial especially within the cycling community.

Speak for yourself. I owned up for my corticosteroids straight away.x

Apparently alcohol is also banned, although it used to be used for its pain-killing properties, but in the 60s the UCI thought it might be a stimulant; it’s certainly a motivation.  Anyway, Pubcycle 2018 Le Tour de Sid’s V is not regulated by the UCI.

You learn early on that most people cheat, or you don't, and then you end up a loser on the shoals and outskirts of life; which is why we value those who get thru on pure talent and originality so highly. Unfortunately, this is often after they are dead, and a fat lot of use it is to them then.

Archived